PDA

View Full Version : Offshore, different view

bret
09-15-2010, 12:00 AM
http://vimeo.com/11917134

Here is something I posted on my Porsche forum after the BP spill, as we all got deemed the lowest souls on earth by the person who occupies the oval office and the rest of the cronies.

I'm sure this has been covered but having worked at Transocean for 14 years,(now work for Seadrill - lot of ex Transocean who like a smaller company) worked for BP and my rig is under contract for them, the report issued by them is probably correct. I had friends on the Horizon (all survived) and without getting into deep parameters...the BP engineers and drilling foreman must take blame, TOI rig management must take blame, Halliburton - well that procedure goes to BP for review before the first cement is SENT to the rig. The BOP failed and it should not have, the engine that exploded should have shut down on the overspeed...etc, etc.

The fact is that most of the guys and gals offshore are no different that anyone onshore. Half have college degrees, some have from Maritime academies, lots of ex military - but all are great family people (read time off), mortgage, 401k, investments, and sports fans.

Conditions are not as cramped and the salaries are not near as low at TV news makes them out to be but they can keep believing that; our lowest is around $70k and highest around $175k, + bonus and stock options for top personnel, bottom to the top, not to bad for a 1/2 a year.

Enjoy the vid, ask some questions if you like, thought you might find it interesting.

Bert
09-15-2010, 12:58 AM
http://vimeo.com/11917134

Here is something I posted on my Porsche forum after the BP spill, as we all got deemed the lowest souls on earth by the person who occupies the oval office and the rest of the cronies.

I'm sure this has been covered but having worked at Transocean for 14 years,(now work for Seadrill - lot of ex Transocean who like a smaller company) worked for BP and my rig is under contract for them, the report issued by them is probably correct. I had friends on the Horizon (all survived) and without getting into deep parameters...the BP engineers and drilling foreman must take blame, TOI rig management must take blame, Halliburton - well that procedure goes to BP for review before the first cement is SENT to the rig. The BOP failed and it should not have, the engine that exploded should have shut down on the overspeed...etc, etc.

The fact is that most of the guys and gals offshore are no different that anyone onshore. Half have college degrees, some have from Maritime academies, lots of ex military - but all are great family people (read time off), mortgage, 401k, investments, and sports fans.

Conditions are not as cramped and the salaries are not near as low at TV news makes them out to be but they can keep believing that; our lowest is around $70k and highest around $175k, + bonus and stock options for top personnel, bottom to the top, not to bad for a 1/2 a year.

Enjoy the vid, ask some questions if you like, thought you might find it interesting.
I have done some integrity audits on production platforms my company operates in the Gulf. I can agree with your comments. A lot of good people making a living and working hard for it.

squishd
09-15-2010, 02:51 AM
That's a nice rig you got there. Have you ever worked Asian rigs in asia? Not so nice. I hope you stay busy...

turn1andburn1
09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Cool vid, if I did not have a wife and two small kids, thats were I would like to be. Always wanted to since my dad worked rigs up in the arctic 25 years ago. But I do have a young family and need to be close to home, so I will stay on the production end of things.