PDA

View Full Version : Carb re-jetting 4160

zekedog
09-13-2010, 06:04 PM
I know someone out there has the answer. 92 PS 190 351 Indmar HO. Just installed an Edlebrock 2182 Performer Plus Cam, GT40 heads cleaned up, Edelbrock Performer Intake, lifters, timing chain and gears. Here's the million dollar question... I just had my third 4160 carb sent to me from National Carburetor. Leaking, running poorly, etc. So I went back to using my 4010. Engine was running great after the upgrades but still had the usual 4010 hiccups. I find it hard to believe National could send me 3 lemons in a row. Is there a chance the factory jets or accelerator pump is not the correct size in the 4160 for the extra HP? I know the 4010 was the factory carb for the HO engine. Are the jets bigger on the 4010 enabling better idling and hole shot? Anyone got a suggestion for what size primary jets I should install in the 4160. As always, thank you for your time and expertise. Runs like crap with the 4160 now.

east tx skier
09-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Is the new cam the same as stock or is it an HP upgrade as well? I ran the GT-40 heads and performer intake with the 4160 out of the box and never had any issues?

Cloaked
09-13-2010, 10:21 PM
I know someone out there has the answer. 92 PS 190 351 Indmar HO. Just installed an Edlebrock 2182 Performer Plus Cam, GT40 heads cleaned up, Edelbrock Performer Intake, lifters, timing chain and gears. Here's the million dollar question... I just had my third 4160 carb sent to me from National Carburetor. Leaking, running poorly, etc. So I went back to using my 4010. Engine was running great after the upgrades but still had the usual 4010 hiccups. I find it hard to believe National could send me 3 lemons in a row. Is there a chance the factory jets or accelerator pump is not the correct size in the 4160 for the extra HP? I know the 4010 was the factory carb for the HO engine. Are the jets bigger on the 4010 enabling better idling and hole shot? Anyone got a suggestion for what size primary jets I should install in the 4160. As always, thank you for your time and expertise. Runs like crap with the 4160 now.Here's $0.02/ Send NC their carb back.

Then have a look see here... http://www.holley.com/0-80551.asp

Done deal. The 4160 is a good carb when one gets the stars aligned. I have been fooling with these things a long time and have grown to like the 4160. Nothing like listening to the rear ports sucking air at WOT....

Laurel_Lake_Skier
09-13-2010, 10:42 PM
I've done similar upgrades on my engine and have the 4160 working well. I did some minor rejetting and added a metering block to the secondary side so I can change jetting there as well as the primary. Bottom line is that the jets are not that far from the stock settings and I did the tuning to get the last little bit of performance (also swapped out the power valve for one that opens a bit earlier). You should have it running pretty well with a properly set up stock carb.

Is everything else set correctly?.....initial timing, timing advance, no vacuum leaks

Cloaked
09-13-2010, 11:24 PM
I've done similar upgrades on my engine and have the 4160 working well. I did some minor rejetting and added a metering block to the secondary side so I can change jetting there as well as the primary. Bottom line is that the jets are not that far from the stock settings and I did the tuning to get the last little bit of performance (also swapped out the power valve for one that opens a bit earlier). You should have it running pretty well with a properly set up stock carb.

Is everything else set correctly?.....initial timing, timing advance, no vacuum leaks

And the electric choke. Don't overlook that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YCbkaXuqvE

zekedog
09-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Yup, runs sweet with the 4010. Except when it decides to go bi-polar.

zekedog
09-14-2010, 09:18 AM
I think the Edelbrock cam is a mild HP improvement. Also, for what it's worth. I removed the SilentMaster because it was leaking badly.