PDA

View Full Version : Setting the timing

AHUNTER
07-08-2005, 09:45 AM
I am putting on an electronic ignition on my '90 Tristar 220. The guys at DIM say I need to reset or check the timing @ 10 degrees when finished. It has been a very long time since I messed with timing. I have a timing light, I know where the markings are on the flywheel & I understand that the distributor turns to impact the timing. I can't recall what the 10 degree reference is all about. I will call DIM today, but thought someone here might give me some insight.
Thanks

martini
07-08-2005, 11:04 AM
The harmonic balancer is probably what you are referring to. You will need to locate the pointing mark or timing mark on the front of the engine. Generally this is a tab or pin sticking out from the front of the block that aligns with the specific timing marks on the balancer, depending on the distributors position. Once the engine is running you will check to see what the base timing is by connecting the timing light to the #1 cylinder. Your base timing should be in the "0" range + or - a few degrees on initial start up. The timing marks on most balancers are in 2 degree increments. Point the timing light at the timing mark and see what your timing is in degrees as noted by the mark on the balancer that aligns with the timing mark on the engine. If it is not 10 degrees advance, then turn the distributor to get to that number. Turn off the engine and tighten down the distributor completely. Check it again to make sure you didn't move the distributor when you tightened down the bolt.