PDA

View Full Version : Impeller-All or nothing!

bareinnj
09-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Holy cripes, batman! '04 MCX, never a cooling issue, not even close. 160 on the gauge, every day, all day. Start her up on Labor Day, hear a squeal under the engine cover and open the cover to check. Sounds like impeller area. Alarm goes off shortly, temp. Shut down, back to lift(Bro in law swims it back upwind for 1/8 mile, deserved!) Pull pump cover:( no trace of any of the impeller blades-nothing!!!!! Just the rubber that mates with the brass insert. Where did the blade material go? And how come so fast/catastrophic? I assume that one or a few of the blades seperated and then took out the remaining, but......

Hoosier Bob
09-11-2010, 10:24 PM
MC and many boat manufacturers recommend changing the impellor yearly! Crap gets in there and chews them up all the time. Eventually enough is gone(or all!) and there is no function what so ever. I go 2-3 years max but every year I inspect. 6 years is a great lifespan.:D Check the whole system, thermostat and trans cooler.

FrankSchwab
09-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Losing them all is uncommon. I'm guessing that you've been shedding blades all summer - first one, then another. Once they start going, the other blades bend differently, and fatigue quicker.

The blades are in your engine, somewhere. Sometimes they cause problems, sometimes they don't. See if you can follow the water flow, and figure out the first restriction point where they'll collect - perhaps the thermostat. I think I'd figure out how to reverse flush the engine, and see if I could get them out.

I change mine yearly to avoid the results of a blown one.

/frank

bigmac
09-12-2010, 12:13 AM
The transmission cooler and its strainer are between the RW pump and the engine on an '04. The only rubber pieces that could have gone into his engine cooling system would only be those small enough to get through the strainer, and those (if any) are likely long flushed out.

The tranny cooler might be plugged with rubber pieces, though. OP, pull your lower transmission cooler hose and clear the cooler intake side as described in your owner's manual. Replace the impeller and you should be good to go.

My boat's an '04. I've replaced the impeller once, for no good reason. If it ever shreds, I'll replace it again.

FrankSchwab
09-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Well, that makes a whole lot more sense than my arrangement (trans cooler BEFORE the RWP).

Listen to bigmac, and ignore me.

/frank

sand2snow22
09-12-2010, 01:17 AM
BigMac, you back? Where ya been?

xbot50000
09-12-2010, 01:25 AM
This just in.... Boats require maintenance

bareinnj
09-12-2010, 09:48 AM
This just in.... Boats require maintenance

Wow! Are you certain? Awesome epiphany! I guess I had better go to UTI boat tech school for a graduate degree in boat mechanics/maintenance. Or better yet, I should head to Harvard for a degree in forum posting. That way, I would have made it CLEAR that this is indeed the third impeller in the boat (125 hours) I was, mistakenly, wondering why the impeller would implode as it did. Oh well, packing my bags for UTI, no time for maint......

xbot50000
09-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Save your money. Just give your owner's manual a once over.

Impellers burn up for a variety of reason. Dirty lakes with a lot of weeds, sand, etc. Since this is the third one in your boat, you might want to check it a little more often.

jvbaca
09-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Wow! Are you certain? Awesome epiphany! I guess I had better go to UTI boat tech school for a graduate degree in boat mechanics/maintenance. Or better yet, I should head to Harvard for a degree in forum posting. That way, I would have made it CLEAR that this is indeed the third impeller in the boat (125 hours) I was, mistakenly, wondering why the impeller would implode as it did. Oh well, packing my bags for UTI, no time for maint......

That was pretty funny.... Just a thought, check your raw water intake and see if there is any debris in it. It may be plugged or clogged just enough to make the impeller not have enough water in there and churn to get more to the engine... Also check intake at the hull to see if there is something caught up in the screen.

FrankSchwab
09-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Even changing your impeller yearly doesn't help - a friend's 6 month old impeller self-destructed at Dangling Rope marina in Lake Powell. And it's really hard to blame it on dirty water - that lake, especially there, is the definition of "clean water".

Sometimes, the rubber gods just don't smile at you. And, yes, there are multiple ways to take that statement.

/frank

Bert
09-12-2010, 01:24 PM
That was pretty funny.... Just a thought, check your raw water intake and see if there is any debris in it. It may be plugged or clogged just enough to make the impeller not have enough water in there and churn to get more to the engine... Also check intake at the hull to see if there is something caught up in the screen.
Good advice. Usually what leads to failure is running dry. All this talk about changing annually is over rated. Just take out for winter and re-use if in good shape. I have only shredded one in 19 years and was caused by an air lock in the intake ahead of the RWP due to the way the shower was connected. The litle bits went right through the system and only place they caused an issue was in the shower head.

bareinnj
09-12-2010, 03:23 PM
First thing I did was dive under boat to check intake strainer -clear. Next, used my Magyver bottle opener thingy to pull hose of the bottom of the tranny cooler. Nada. No excessive schrapnel in the lake either. I am thinking a bad impeller. The other two that I have pulled, one with 75 hours, the other with 30 hours, both looked good, a bit stiffer than new but usable. One is my emergency backup.

Jerseydave
09-12-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure why you're impellers are failing so early, but if you are in NJ and need a hand let me know. Also my good friend owns an inboard dealership in north Jersey (sussex co.) if you need any help that way.

And.......if you barefoot here in NJ and need a 3rd, 4th, etc my buddy and I could come out and do some footing with you!

-Dave

bareinnj
09-12-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure why you're impellers are failing so early, but if you are in NJ and need a hand let me know. Also my good friend owns an inboard dealership in north Jersey (sussex co.) if you need any help that way.

And.......if you barefoot here in NJ and need a 3rd, 4th, etc my buddy and I could come out and do some footing with you!

-Dave

Sounds good! Flash marina? What ever happened to Lisa's dealership down by you? Always found her easy to deal with, bought a 195 new from her a while back.

FoggyNogginz
09-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Change the impeller annually, especially if you don't pull it out and lube it in the winter to prevent rot. It's a cheap service item, so I always keep one in the boat too. Changed one right in the middle of the lake a few years ago.

Jerseydave
09-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Sounds good! Flash marina? What ever happened to Lisa's dealership down by you? Always found her easy to deal with, bought a 195 new from her a while back.

The guys at Flash are great. My buddy owns a different marina however, so PM me if you need more info. I sent you a PM with my info.

Since you've been having alot of problems with your impeller, make sure the housing doesn't have any rough areas that might be hurting the impeller. You might consider removing/changing your impeller each year.....cheap fix as said before.