PDA

View Full Version : Warm starting issues- 91 prostar

DooSPX
09-11-2010, 02:36 PM
I just started having an issue this last outing (this morning). When the engine is cold, she fires right up, but after running and shutting down, it lags like the battery is about dead. Battery shows 12 volts.
possible starter? possible coil? its a 91, so it has EI. timing was just done a few months ago- 10* BTDC.

Footin
09-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Cables and connection first. Clean all connections and check cables.

DooSPX
09-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks I will check all of them.

Bert
09-11-2010, 05:22 PM
I just started having an issue this last outing (this morning). When the engine is cold, she fires right up, but after running and shutting down, it lags like the battery is about dead. Battery shows 12 volts.
possible starter? possible coil? its a 91, so it has EI. timing was just done a few months ago- 10* BTDC. I had that same problem when my boat was new. I had a brand new Battery so we figured it was the starter and dealer sent me a new starter. Finally load tested battery and it was no good. Replaced and problem went away. Good thing is I have had a spare starter for 19 years now:D
Allways rule out the battery first by load testing.

JimN
09-11-2010, 05:23 PM
possible starter? possible coil? its a 91, so it has EI. timing was just done a few months ago- 10* BTDC.

Make sure the carb isn't dripping gas into the intake manifold. Also, check your timing.

12V isn't enough. It's supposed to be about 13.2 at rest and charging is supposed to be about 14.4V. If it's really hard to crank, it's possible that the armature in the starter is going bad, it could be the wires/connections and it could be that it's not able to spin freely because of thermal expansion. How old is the battery? Is this the original starter?

DooSPX
09-11-2010, 08:20 PM
yes, it is the original starter and I will load test the battery. battery is a couple years old. may have found the issue though... the positive cable was lose. hope to find out tomorrow, im going to try for another ski run. :D will let you guys know!
thanks

JimN
09-11-2010, 09:19 PM
the positive cable was lose.

That would do it.