PDA

View Full Version : Swamped my X-7

rawly
09-09-2010, 02:15 PM
While learning how to drive the course,my 20 year old daughter hit reverse at the end of the course when the boat was settleing back into the water.The nose dove in(2005 Mastercraft x-7(197)and filled the boat with water.The wall of water knocked the mirror off the windshield,and bent the bimini, when the boat stopped running(it was still going in reverse under water)the water level was at the top of the gunnels.Witness marks show that the intake manifold was under water.Perfect pass and stereo were both in operation.The engine is being replaced because of 2 busted rods.Most but not all electronics are being replaced.The boat is drive by wire.Long story short,that was over 2 months ago and after jacking me around for what seems forever,my local Mastercraft mechanic seems to want to keep the parts total under the insurance companies set price to total out the boat.I love the boat,but will it ever be the same?Any insurance guys,or mechanics out there.If repaired,the value of the boat surely must be lower now.This happened in fresh water. Looking for advice,thanks in advance Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768
This is close to what happened,but our situation was worse

flipper
09-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Dang, sorry to hear that. Is she up for adoption now?

JLeuck64
09-09-2010, 02:38 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2572&sort=1

Brought one back from the grave once myself... It can be done with a LOT of hard work especially if you are a mechanically inclined person.

Re-sale value is not a concern in my situation because I plan on being buried in this boat when I am dead and gone!

Mines been back on the water 3 seasons now, just need to finish the interior!

Sodar
09-09-2010, 02:50 PM
While learning how to drive the course,my 20 year old daughter hit reverse at the end of the course when the boat was settleing back into the water.The nose dove in(2005 Mastercraft x-7(197)and filled the boat with water.The wall of water knocked the mirror off the windshield,and bent the bimini, when the boat stopped running(it was still going in reverse under water)the water level was at the top of the gunnels.Witness marks show that the intake manifold was under water.Perfect pass and stereo were both in operation.The engine is being replaced because of 2 busted rods.Most but not all electronics are being replaced.The boat is drive by wire.Long story short,that was over 2 months ago and after jacking me around for what seems forever,my local Mastercraft mechanic seems to want to keep the parts total under the insurance companies set price to total out the boat.I love the boat,but will it ever be the same?Any insurance guys,or mechanics out there.If repaired,the value of the boat surely must be lower now.This happened in fresh water. Looking for advice,thanks in advance Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768
This is close to what happened,but our situation was worse

I would be at that dealership begging and pleading with him to get the costs as HIGH as possible. No way would I be OK with a boat that sank while the motor was running. My dad's friend lost a boat at the dock after it's first 10 hour service. The insurance company gave him $20k to settle and he kept the boat. He used part of the $20k to put in a new ECM & Stereo and pocketed the rest. The boat never ran the same and he had problems until the day he ran it in to a retaining wall. Long story and history on that boat!

rawly
09-09-2010, 03:24 PM
She's not up for adoption yet,has to stay at home until she finishes college,or were you talking about the boat.She is a beautiful white and light blue combo with the MCX engine.Heading off to the lake,but opinions from insurance guys or mechanics would be appreciated.
Thanks Steve

Starshack
09-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Sorry to hear - I have heard this happening before but not to that extent - I have had some slop come over in my 1992 190 but for the most part like having the closed bow - maybe why you see the 197TT with the canvas in place on the bow in tournaments. I have never heard a good story about a sunk or flooded boat - I would take the cash and move on.

JohnE
09-09-2010, 05:25 PM
I can't imagine your situation being worse. Sorry it happened. I'd prefer that boat be totalled in this case.

Sawdust
09-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Damn! It's amazing how things can go so wrong, so fast, when boating. You really gotta know what you're doing and have LOTS of experience. I feel sorry for your daughter, bet she feels pretty bad, but mistakes happen. Glad nobody got hurt.

rawly
09-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks guys,
Still waiting to hear from the insurance people.I'm with Allstate,and they've been very good in the past.Hopefully they'll come through on this one.Yeah,I'm just lucky nobody got hurt.I showed the above video to my daughters who were in the boat,and they said"yeah,that's about what happened,but they got knocked around a little harder".I was at the other end of the lake,and heard them screaming.The boat was floating way to low in the water,so I hopped in the car,and was just glad to see no blood when I got down there.I thought maybe they hit the turn island or something like that.The worse part was when the daughter who was the passenger started to cry when I said"oh well,there goes our summer".I still ski mid week and some weekends with my ski partners up at the lake,but the kids have only been up a few times this summer.

rawly
09-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Talked to agent yesturday.They want to pay $16,000 and have me pay $3,000 of the bill to cover the depreciation of the replaced parts.New engine and most electronics.I'm concerned that they are having me pay that on top of my $250 deductable to rebuild a boat that will be worth much less than it was before the accident.Allstate seems to be going down hill from when I originally started doing business with them 25 years ago.Is this typical of the insurance industry?Should I take the deal,or hire an arbitration lawyer to fight to get the boat totalled?I'm afraid of problems down the road.And I will have to sell this as a salvaged vehicle down the road.
Thanks Steve

Maristar210
09-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Steve:

On what basis to they claim you should be liable for $3000 worth of repairs?

I would be very curious to hear the justification behind this settlement offer.

Personally I would be looking to have the thing totaled. You are oh so correct with the statement about problems down the road.

Monte72 on here (Bert) is an insurance snake, I mean salesman. He can perhaps offer some insight but often it differs from state to state.

In any event I would fight to have it totaled which means would be necessary to get this done. This boat is now filled with gremlins at each and every wiring harness connection.

Good Luck from one Steve to another....

Jorski
09-11-2010, 01:21 PM
***On what basis to they claim you should be liable for $3000 worth of repairs?***

They refer to it as "betterment". They will be arguing that the insured is receiving better "unused" parts in the place of the used parts.

Not an unusual occurence. You have to read these policies very carefully.

Insurance is particularly hurt by today's low interest rates (they make money by investing the pool of premiums until they have to pay claims). So, most of these companies will be much tougher regarding settlements than they have been in the past.

flya750
09-11-2010, 04:17 PM
That betterment clause sounds like pure bullchit....!!!!

redrobster78
09-12-2010, 12:51 PM
That betterment stuff is a bunch of crap... I recently had a Menard's pick up rear end me while I was sitting at a stop light. The insurance company came out and gave me a quote to get the bumper and all fixed but since there was a little bit of rust they reduced the estimate about $250because it would be in better condition after the accident then before. Luckily for me, my brother is a lawyer and we got it all in the end.

Long story short betterment is a bunch of crap...

Matt L.
09-12-2010, 04:03 PM
I'd call BS on that too. Here's my $250, either fix it or pay me the fair market value. Not their initial BS "fair market value". They always low ball you!

My $0.02,

Matt

oldairboater
09-13-2010, 08:34 AM
You will not hear me say this much but get a lawyer. Have him look at you policy and their offer. See where it goes from there.

richard177
07-12-2011, 12:25 PM
I had a similar situation recently in a Mastercraft 245 SS where we were only 3 people in 27Ft mastercraft. With a following sea I backed off the throttle too quickly and bow dropped into wave no bigger that 3 ft. we were swamped. Engine cut and luckily we were able to summon help and no one was hurt. Boat sank and is we think a total loss. Waiting for insurance verdict. Now with this judgement I am convinced that there is a design flaw as we were not going more that 10 mph in a straight line. How do I go about getting Mastercraft to acknowledge this and help with repairs and hopefully some modifications to stop this happening again?

oldairboater
07-12-2011, 12:31 PM
I am not sure that it is a design flaw. Any boat built can be swamped if the right conditions exist. I have seen boats swamped in different ways and different circumstances. Offshore and inshore.I had a similar situation recently in a Mastercraft 245 SS where we were only 3 people in 27Ft mastercraft. With a following sea I backed off the throttle too quickly and bow dropped into wave no bigger that 3 ft. we were swamped. Engine cut and luckily we were able to summon help and no one was hurt. Boat sank and is we think a total loss. Waiting for insurance verdict. Now with this judgement I am convinced that there is a design flaw as we were not going more that 10 mph in a straight line. How do I go about getting Mastercraft to acknowledge this and help with repairs and hopefully some modifications to stop this happening again?

CantRepeat
07-12-2011, 12:36 PM
I had a similar situation recently in a Mastercraft 245 SS where we were only 3 people in 27Ft mastercraft. With a following sea I backed off the throttle too quickly and bow dropped into wave no bigger that 3 ft. we were swamped. Engine cut and luckily we were able to summon help and no one was hurt. Boat sank and is we think a total loss. Waiting for insurance verdict. Now with this judgement I am convinced that there is a design flaw as we were not going more that 10 mph in a straight line. How do I go about getting Mastercraft to acknowledge this and help with repairs and hopefully some modifications to stop this happening again?

You buried the nose of a wakeboard boat in a 3 foot wave, swaped and sank your boat? How much water do you think a "24" foot boat should take on before it sinks?

Learn to drive?

Length of Boat: 24' 2"

G-Star
07-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Here we go... :popcorn:

thatsmrmastercraft
07-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Here we go... :popcorn:

That's for sure:popcorn:

TxsRiverRat
07-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I know the OP says he was using the boat for slalom... But the rest of the folks what were they doing? Did they have ballast bags further weighing the boat down? Maybe that had something to do with flooding their boats? I have had small waves come over the bow before, but NOTHING even close to that (and my boat has never had a ballast on it).

eurosysytem0
07-12-2011, 02:04 PM
I have been reading the threads where an open bow boat is swamped. I understand you can get a detachable canvas cover that fits the X7.
Can anybody give me details/source?
Also details of fittings (ie does it involve drilling hull to fit poppers etc.
It can be Mastercraft or non-OEM as I would only use it on the odd session.
Any pictures would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your hassle.- what a nightmare!!!

Thrall
07-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Hahaha, oh boy!
Yeah it's a design flaw, Richard Head.
Go get a deep vee, it's a comp boat, not a sea-going vessel.

DemolitionMan
07-12-2011, 03:02 PM
I have been reading the threads where an open bow boat is swamped. I understand you can get a detachable canvas cover that fits the X7.
Can anybody give me details/source?
Also details of fittings (ie does it involve drilling hull to fit poppers etc.
It can be Mastercraft or non-OEM as I would only use it on the odd session.
Any pictures would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your hassle.- what a nightmare!!!

This is what you want.

eurosysytem0
07-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Looks good. Do you know where I can purchase it?

DemolitionMan
07-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Looks good. Do you know where I can purchase it?

Any MC dealer should have it.

FrankSchwab
07-13-2011, 05:03 PM
How much water do you think that canvas and those snaps are going to hold?

Let's say that you put a foot of water on that bow - it'd be enough to get everyone in the bow wet, and have water running down the aisle, but it's probably not enough to fill the bilge to the bottom of the oil pan. Anyway, for a 8 foot wide, 4 foot deep triangle (16 sq ft) with a foot of water on top of it (16 cu ft) at 62 pounds / cu ft = 1000 pounds (450 kg for our unenlightened friends) of water.

Do you really believe that you and 4 of your overweight buddies could lay on that canvas and have it survive?

I think that cover will work great to keep most minor water-over-the-bow events out of the boat. But if you bury the nose, it's going to collapse and do you no good.

/frank

DemolitionMan
07-13-2011, 05:07 PM
How much water do you think that canvas and those snaps are going to hold?

Let's say that you put a foot of water on that bow - it'd be enough to get everyone in the bow wet, and have water running down the aisle, but it's probably not enough to fill the bilge to the bottom of the oil pan. Anyway, for a 8 foot wide, 4 foot deep triangle (16 sq ft) with a foot of water on top of it (16 cu ft) at 62 pounds / cu ft = 1000 pounds (450 kg for our unenlightened friends) of water.

Do you really believe that you and 4 of your overweight buddies could lay on that canvas and have it survive?

I think that cover will work great to keep most minor water-over-the-bow events out of the boat. But if you bury the nose, it's going to collapse and do you no good.

/frank

When you put the pole in, it's a tepee.

JJMorris3
07-13-2011, 05:38 PM
No one is gonna make fun of that dude tanking a Bud? I am not witty enough to say anything too funny.

rawly
07-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Good luck with your claim.Being that it was sea water,I'm sure it will be a total.As far as my boat goes,the engine and most electronics were replaced and she's working fine for now.I'll keep you guys informed on the long term outcome.

helton333
07-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Ok, just my 2 cents, but honestly, if you ever plan to sell the boat, you would have to disclose that to sleep at night I would think - let them total it.

I truly hate to hear something like this

FrankSchwab
07-13-2011, 10:30 PM
When you put the pole in, it's a tepee.

What you really mean is that the entire weight of the water on the cover is borne by the 2" diameter reinforced hole that rests on the pole. Great idea for rain, where it rolls off before it builds up; not so good for a buried bow.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Good luck with your claim.Being that it was sea water,I'm sure it will be a total.As far as my boat goes,the engine and most electronics were replaced and she's working fine for now.I'll keep you guys informed on the long term outcome.

Having an insurance claim or just making major repairs isn't going to lower the value of your boat, if everything is in working order, not harm not foul, cars get wrecked and flooded all the time and just because there was a claim doesn't mean it's worth less. I have seens some cars that were flooded be nightmares and cars that dont have a scratch on them be nightmares. it's all a risk but one you have to make. There is no law that says you have to disclose repairs made either by you or an insurance company, just your good judgement, after all it's a used item.

Trig2275
07-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Wow! Speechless after that one.

The8Ball
07-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Sorry to hear about this. Will it be the same? I don't think so. Ever. Fix it, try to get something else..

formosa
08-05-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm optimistic, it can be done. But it's a lot of time - it's not a weekend's worth of work.

Mine was sunk in fresh water and the gas line cut - 20 gallons of fuel sitting for 4-8 hours tied to a public dock (the only thing keeping her from the bottom).

You say the engine is being replaced, that covers a lot of the "never the same"; as well as the electronics (wiring harness is a must), starter, alternator, etc. I did not replace my engine, but pickled it and several oil changes. Removed all interior. We removed staples from one sometimes two sides of each of the interior pieces to get the foam to dry out. Completely soaked the cushions in bleach/water - then dried. Replaced the carpet. Really went to town cleaning all the dash wiring, etc with electrical cleaner (several cans). Several new switches, wiring, bilge pump, etc. Changed transmission and V-drive oil 5-6 times.

Completely sanded down interior and exterior with 1200 grit and buffed out using compound and polish on all fiberglass surfaces.

I have it running now and put back on the water, but think I blew a head gasket. Replacing the engine seems to be a good call in the long-run. I will replace the head gaskets. Interior and exterior wise, the boat is better than pre-sunk condition. Transmission and V-drive I would say "90%" (it whines more than it used to). The engine would say 50% at this point. Gauges and dash all work as before and it's been a year.