PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem or Cavitation?

gdlrwr
09-07-2010, 09:40 PM
I have a 1992 prosport 205 Mastercraft. When I turn real hard to the right. It seems to loose power like a inbourd outbourd would do in cavitation and soon as it slows a little it pick right back up. My 1981 Star's and strips never did that. So I am trying to figure out if preventive rebuild if Transmission in off season would be a good thing?

GuitsBoy
09-08-2010, 06:42 PM
I have a 1992 prosport 205 Mastercraft. When I turn real hard to the right. It seems to loose power like a inbourd outbourd would do in cavitation and soon as it slows a little it pick right back up. My 1981 Star's and strips never did that. So I am trying to figure out if preventive rebuild if Transmission in off season would be a good thing?

Check your transmission fluid. If it looks good, but is just a pinch low, it just might need a few ounces of fluid. My boat will do the same when Im fully sacked out and I manhandle it out of a turn. Waiting to get back up there to see if the fluid is low. I know its clean.

bret
09-14-2010, 05:56 AM
+1 on the fluid. If it says it's full, add just a bit and take it out, bet it cures your problem. Had a friend with 93 red S&S that did it and that's how we cured it.

Jorski
09-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Had the same problem this summer...transmission was low on fluid....remember to read your trans fluid level when warm and immediately after driving.

Mine appeared to read fine, but I had waited too long after driving and the the fluid from the lines/cooler etc were drainng back into the transmission, making it look artificially full.

If the transmission does slip due to a low fluid condition the engine can slip briefly into RPM limit mode and seem to be missing.