PDA

View Full Version : 98 PS Fuel Gauge

98ps190
08-23-2004, 10:32 AM
I did a dumb thing. Two weeks ago my wife and I used our boat most of the day and took it out of the water with a bit under a 1/4 tank of gas. I was in a hurry and just drove home and put the boat away. I didn't fill the tank until two days ago. I filled it with 89 oct. and we hit the water. The boat ran fine, but my gas gauge never moved above a 1/4 tank. Any thoughts or suggestions as to my problem. Please don't be to hard on me for not filling up after using the boat. I'm stupid, stupid, stupid. Thanks

Jay

lakes Rick
08-23-2004, 10:35 AM
I NEVER fill my boat until I am going to the water.. Keeps the gas fresher... Your sending unit it probably the culprit, not your gassing habits.....

east tx skier
08-25-2004, 10:27 AM
Welcome!

I agree with Rick. Your sending unit failing is MasterCraft's way of saying, "Welcome to the club."

I never fill my boat until going to the water either. And even then, I put in what I suspect I'll need. A lot of people fill up on the way back because it is supposed to prevent condensation in the tank. I always stabilize my fuel when I fill up and Sta-bil has something in it that is supposed to take care of the water, if any. I like the idea of running fresh (to me) gas in the boat. Just my $.02.

Footin
08-25-2004, 10:45 AM
I don't fill up untill I get close to the water. I see no reason to haul extra weight. It's not a big deal when I ski locally; however the 5-6 hour pulls are another story.

NatesGr8
08-25-2004, 10:50 AM
I too don't fill up until its time to hit the water. I recently encountered the same problem on my 94 PS except the guage always reads full. Any ideas as to what could cause this? If its the sending unit anyone know where i could order a new one from?

Thanks, Nathan

Footin
08-25-2004, 10:55 AM
I replaced the sending unit in my Barefoot 200 two times over 8 years. The unit itself is probably different because it was a digital gas gauge.

The second time I changed it the sending unit looked a little different, I think they realized they had a problem with the older ones and fixed it.

I always mail order my parts from Rambo Marine in Alabama, GREAT service and nice people to deal with.

ski_king
08-25-2004, 10:58 AM
I usually fill up my tank using gas cans just before launching it.

As for my gas gauge, It hasnt read correct for a long time.

I remember it goes like this:

Full = Full
= almost full
= a little above
= about
empty = anywhere between empty and

I have never run out, but I have put 24 gallons in my 25 gallon tank before.

I also have a dipstick I have made to let me know exactly how much is in there.

A new sending unit and gauge is on my things to do this off season.

bcampbe7
08-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Footin-
I agree with you, Rambo Marine is awesome! Great bunch of people. I am only about an hour from them.

NatesGr8
08-25-2004, 11:36 AM
How can i get in touch with rambo marine?

bcampbe7
08-25-2004, 11:39 AM
(256) 828 - 3590 - Info@Rambomarine.com
Ask for Lex in parts...

rmc1
08-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Have owned mastercrafts since 1984 and they have alwasy had problem with the gas gauge. I have a small stick I use to check the level i never rely on the gaugeto read properly. A friend of mine who use to be a Mastercraft dealer had his 2001 reading 1/4 of a tank of fuel and ran out. All I have talked to have the same problem

JimN
08-25-2004, 01:27 PM
If you guys think MC's are the only boats with fuel sender problems, guess again. All boats with that sender have problems. There just aren't that many options when the tank has a chamber in it for the fuel pickup and sender for the times when the gas sloshing would starve the pickup. The cork and plastic floats work for awhile, but they fail too. Obviously, if the tank doesn't have that chamber, just about any sender will work if it's within the parameter of the gauge.

Powerslot- is the gauge actually bad?

ski_king
08-25-2004, 01:43 PM
I know my sending unit is probobly the problem, but the gauge needs replaced also. When I redid my dash, I guess I overtightened the clamp for the fuel gauge. A few minutes after I had the dash put back together I heard a sickening loud crack and found my gauge had broken away from the front flange. I tried to repair with some epoxy, but it didnt hold. I then tried good old plastic model glue. It held great, but the out gassing of the glue permantly fogged the inside of the gauge.
I plan to replace update all the small gauges, but have been having a hard time finding a nice matched set that has an amp gauge. Most of the newer ones only have a volt meter.

Jorski
08-25-2004, 04:06 PM
Here is something that worked for me..my guage was sticking and sometimes it would jump around in a strange way.

I pulled out the fuel sending unit and found that the float which travels up and down inside of the tube was fit quite snugly and was binding as it travelled. It appeared to me that it was made out of some sort of foam. So I shaved down the edges with a sharp utility knife and then put it all back together.

So far it has worked great. Obviously, none of this will help if you have an electrical problem with the unit. Good luck.

NatesGr8
08-25-2004, 09:30 PM
I just pulled out my sending unit and had the same problem. So i filed down the edges and now it travels smoothly. Tomorrow i'll put it all back together and test it out. Anyone know what type of glue will not be affected by gas? In the float there are 2 small magnets that fell out and i need to re glue them, any ideas :confused:

Nathan