PDA

View Full Version : 1983 S&S w/Chrysler 440

Sawdust
09-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Anyone have an idea of how many Chrysler 440's were put in S&S's back in the day, particularly in the '83's? Don't hear a lot of people talking about this engine much ...wondering if it's some sort of oddball, or gem. I'd also love to know how the older Chrysler big blocks matched up to the Chevy's and Fords. The sticker says it puts out 330hp, do you guys think that's an accurate number?

1redTA
09-05-2010, 06:47 AM
I bet it puts 330hp out at somewhere between half and three quarter throttle

Sawdust
09-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Is this thing on?

Barefoot57
09-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I had one. Sold it to a person in California in May of 2009. The thing was a powerhouse. The story I was told when I bought it (and confirmed after digging through all of the paperwork) was that the boat was ordered by the Amery Show Ski Team in Amery, WI. There is a thread somewhere that explains very well as to why MC decided to offer the Chrylser motor in '83. Good luck with yours!

Sawdust
09-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Found some old threads, still reading through them but there's obviously lot's of good information. Sounds like this thing is a real beast! One guy was talking about having his rebuilt and his mechanic told him it should put out between 425-450 hp. That's just crazy...as in the good kind of crazy! Can't wait to get it on the water next spring!

I gotta ask which prop ended up working the best for you?

Didn't know it was yours but I have been using a pic of your old boat as my screensaver for a few months now. What a beauty... can't wait till mine looks that good!