PDA

View Full Version : winterization supplies

wtrskr
09-02-2010, 11:23 AM
I won't be winterizing for a while but I wanted to get ahead of the game and gather supplies. I don't have much experience with engines but I'm determined to learn how to winterize and do reasonably easy maintenence on my own. I have the following 3 questions.

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190
Engine: Chevy 350 tbi 275 hp (I beleive)
Transmission: Powerslot.

1.) While at the Farm and Fleet hardware store (awesome store btw), I couldn't find and solvent for cleaning the flame arrestor. What should I be looking for? Does it come in a spray can?

2.) What oil should I be using? I don't need the best, just something adequate.

I had a worker look up the oil type for a 1994 chevy 350 truck and he said 5w30. Searching this forum I saw a recomendation for 5w40 diesel. Is that right that Diesel engine oil is ok? I did see a big jug 5w40 diesel that was resonably priced.

3.) Any suggestions on Transmission fluid? The owners manual says Dextron II. However, the manual was written in 1994 so I'm wondering if that is still my best option? Is Dextron III ok?

Thanks for the help.

east tx skier
09-02-2010, 12:03 PM
1. Carburetor Cleaner Spray for the Flame Arrestor.

Something like this ...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/sku/images/large/I_576115_CL_1.jpg

2. Oil. I would suggest Valvoline VR-1 20w50, which still has the levels of ZDDP needed for what I believe was still a flat tappet cam in the 94 TBI. If you have an LT-1 with a roller cam, some Rotella 15W40 should be fine.

3. Dexron III is fine.

JohnnyB
09-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Winterizing around here is usually an early November activity :D

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2010, 09:17 AM
I winterize in late October.

Double D
09-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Your all bumming me out talking about winterizing. Leave it alone for now..... PLEASE!!!!

03geetee
09-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Your all bumming me out talking about winterizing. Leave it alone for now..... PLEASE!!!!

X2!

JTR

wtrskr
09-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the info! I have no idea what a flat tappet cam is though I doubt I'll ever need to know.

I'll probably winterize mid to late October. Just reading up and gathering supplies ahead of time since it will be my first time doing it.

jconover
09-03-2010, 10:48 AM
LOL I just cant help visualizing some form of the Monty Python skit...

MC Owner: WINTERIZE!

Knights 1 and 2: Oooh! He said it!!

MC Owner: What? Winterize?

Knight 1: Ohh! He said it again!!!
Knight 2: What? Winterize?
Knight 1: Oh, now you've gone and said it soon.

Knight 2: Bloody right, it'll be snowing on your sorry a$$ before you know it.

wtrskr
09-08-2010, 05:43 PM
I have another question related to spark plugs. It is a different topic but I don't want to keep opening threads. I was told that my engine was missing by someone who heard me drive away from their dock. I changed the plugs to hopefully fix the problem.

I simply pulled out an old plug and went to the hardware store to get the same ones. The existing plugs were AC CR43TS. I've now noticed that the owners manual calls for AC MR43T.

My questions:

1.) Are the AC CR43TS's ok?
2.)Any opinions as to why these would have been used by the previous owner (or original to the boat)?

captain planet
09-10-2010, 01:29 PM

I'm already winterized........:(

Herc59
09-10-2010, 01:34 PM
What all do I need to do besides fuel stabilization and winterizing the engine? What is the procedure for get the antifreeze throughout the cooloing system.

JimN
09-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I have another question related to spark plugs. It is a different topic but I don't want to keep opening threads. I was told that my engine was missing by someone who heard me drive away from their dock. I changed the plugs to hopefully fix the problem.

I simply pulled out an old plug and went to the hardware store to get the same ones. The existing plugs were AC CR43TS. I've now noticed that the owners manual calls for AC MR43T.

My questions:

1.) Are the AC CR43TS's ok?
2.)Any opinions as to why these would have been used by the previous owner (or original to the boat)?

People often use what they can find. If you have a Chevy motor (not the newest generation) and it doesn't have Vortec heads, you need MR43TS (CR is fine- they're for commercial vehicles) and if it has Vortec heads, you need MR43LTS.

What boat and motor do you have?

wtrskr
09-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Jim, I ended up starting another thread in the help section specifically about the spark plug issue because I thought this one might get lost and not get responses.

I've got a 1994 190, 350 tbi. Per comments you made in another post, I checked for vortec heads. I don't beleive that I have vortec heads.

Doesn't the "S" on the end mean long reach? I'm under the impression that I need the 43T 's not the 43TS 's because I need short reach plugs.

Thanks!

JimN
09-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Jim, I ended up starting another thread in the help section specifically about the spark plug issue because I thought this one might get lost and not get responses.

I've got a 1994 190, 350 tbi. Per comments you made in another post, I checked for vortec heads. I don't beleive that I have vortec heads.

Doesn't the "S" on the end mean long reach? I'm under the impression that I need the 43T 's not the 43TS 's because I need short reach plugs.

Thanks!

You need MR43TS. The L is long reach, S is long reach tip and TS is 'tapered seat'.

It's all in this link- page 19.
http://www.acdelco.com.au/PDFs/Catalogue_ACDelco_Spark%20Plugs.pdf

wtrskr
09-10-2010, 04:12 PM
awesome.

The other thing I posted in the other thread, I just learned that you are supposed to gap plugs before you use them. I had just installed them as is.

How important is it that i go get the tool and adjust the gap?
Do they usually come with the right gap?

wtrskr
09-10-2010, 04:20 PM
What all do I need to do besides fuel stabilization and winterizing the engine? What is the procedure for get the antifreeze throughout the cooloing system.

Check the Frequently Asked Questions post in the under the "General Topics". There you can find a thread with a winterization supply list.

There is also a current thread unter the teamtalk help section that I found to be helpful.

JimN
09-10-2010, 09:13 PM
awesome.

The other thing I posted in the other thread, I just learned that you are supposed to gap plugs before you use them. I had just installed them as is.

How important is it that i go get the tool and adjust the gap?
Do they usually come with the right gap?

They may be correct, but if they were handled roughly, they may not. It's important. Too wide and the spark won't be intense enough and too close, it will be too intense and the electrodes can burn.

heypops
09-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Hey WTRSKR,
I have the same boat model and year as you. We don't have a flattappet cam engine. Use Rotella Deisel 5w-40 for engine oil and change it every 50hrs. Transmission oil is changed every 100 hrs and use Dextron III. Spark plugs are AC MR43T (auto store available) gap at .45" Change every year or 100 hrs, which ever comes first.
Change out rotor and distributor cap and wires, if needed. Change raw water impeller yearly. Change water separator and fuel filter around 100 hrs or yearly.
Make sure V belt is in good shape and can change yearly for insurance.

happy boating...

east tx skier
09-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Hey WTRSKR,
I have the same boat model and year as you. We don't have a flattappet cam engine. Use Rotella Deisel 5w-40 for engine oil and change it every 50hrs. Transmission oil is changed every 100 hrs and use Dextron III. Spark plugs are AC MR43T (auto store available) gap at .45" Change every year or 100 hrs, which ever comes first.
Change out rotor and distributor cap and wires, if needed. Change raw water impeller yearly. Change water separator and fuel filter around 100 hrs or yearly.
Make sure V belt is in good shape and can change yearly for insurance.

happy boating...

A nonvortec Chevy TBI has a roller cam?