PDA

View Full Version : Three year olds can Hydro Slide !

T Scott
08-23-2004, 10:28 AM
I had my three year old out hydro sliding for the first time this weekend.
He did great! To get him used to the pull, I put an eye hook in the front tip of the Hydro Slide and fed the rope through. It gave him a pull from the front and didn't allow him to get sideways and tip over. After a few minutes of that, I took the rope out of the eye hook and he was doing the real thing. Check out the photo...

Tom- Proud father of a soon to be professional water skier

MarkP
08-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Nice shot,:wavey: ...

ski_king
08-23-2004, 10:33 AM
He looks great T Scott!

I remember when mine were 2 or 3 doing the same thing. Funny part was when they were done they would let go of the rope and stop. The Kneeboard was boyant enogh for them to float them without getting wet. I would circle around and pick them up off the board.

NeilM
08-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Way to go T Scott. In the years ahead, if they're behind your boat, they're not getting into trouble hangin' around the local 7-11....:cool:

jimmer2880
08-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Great pic.... Can't wait to teach my own to kneeboard (taught enough of my friends kids).

Can you please explain a bit more about the eye-hook you put on the kneeboard?

thx - jimmer

T Scott
08-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Jimmer,
All I did was simply drill a pilot hole and screw in an eye hook. You can see it in the photo just below the rope. I have seen many children get pulled sideways and tip in the water and get a little freaked out. I wanted my son's first experience on the lake (we practiced in the pool) to be positive. By feeding the rope through the eye hook, the board is forced to track straight thus eliminating any chance of it tipping over. I did this with him for 5 minutes or so and then he had the confidence to try the real deal. He did great and is eager to get out again.

Tom

bcampbe7
08-23-2004, 11:41 PM
Awesome Pic Tom! Great set-up...

jimmer2880
08-24-2004, 08:29 AM
I see now... thx for pointing it out.

east tx skier
08-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Tom, looks like you basically created what we used to call a zip sled. Wish I could find one like we used to ride, but they are a long time gone. Looks like you created a great alternative. Great pic!