PDA

View Full Version : Changed my thermostat

ahhudgins
08-30-2010, 09:59 PM
After several discussions about different temperature thermostats, I decided to change mine from the 143 to the 160 ('95 Maristar 200VRS, 350 TBI). I have always had a pretty strong smell of gas behind the boat so that's why I decided to switch and see if it made a difference. I do believe that the gas odor wasn't as strong and at the end of the day I don't think that I burned as much gas as I normally do. This Sunday we skied the same (if not more) than normal so I know it's not my imagination. The boat ran fine, less odor of gas and better gas milage, so I'm happy.

Of course I did wax it this week so I don't know whether to give credit the thermostat or the wax.:D

JDK
09-01-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm curious to know if you notice any difference in 'hot starts' after a hard pull.......... starting the engine after sitting for 2-3 minutes after it's worked hard.

ahhudgins
09-02-2010, 11:04 AM
No problems restarting the engine at any time. Raising the engine temperature to 160 degrees definitely made the engine run a little leaner. Since I've owned the boat (4 years), I've always had a pretty strong gas odor out of the exhaust. The odor is almost completely gone now. I'm keeping the old 143 stat in my tool box just in case any thing weird happens.

ahhudgins
09-07-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm curious to know if you notice any difference in 'hot starts' after a hard pull.......... starting the engine after sitting for 2-3 minutes after it's worked hard.

Funny you should ask that question. I had no problems the first weekend that I used it. The second weekend was a different story. I had no problem restarting the boat after I shut the motor off just changing skiers. I was teaching some kids to ski on the boom so I had to shut the engine off and stop to give instructions for a few minutes. When I tried to re-start the boat after sitting for a few minutes, it would crank but it wouldn't fire up. I could let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and it started right up. Also, I have to idle about 200 yards through a no wake zone to get back to the dock. When I got to the dock and shut it off, it wouldn't re-start again. My temperature gauge never goes above 160 mark on the gauge even after a long idle. I put my 143 degree thermostate back in and it works fine.

When I have the 160 degree stat in the engine, I have gas at the injectors, spark at the coil, but the engine doesn't fire up.

setidball
03-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Funny you should ask that question. I had no problems the first weekend that I used it. The second weekend was a different story. I had no problem restarting the boat after I shut the motor off just changing skiers. I was teaching some kids to ski on the boom so I had to shut the engine off and stop to give instructions for a few minutes. When I tried to re-start the boat after sitting for a few minutes, it would crank but it wouldn't fire up. I could let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and it started right up. Also, I have to idle about 200 yards through a no wake zone to get back to the dock. When I got to the dock and shut it off, it wouldn't re-start again. My temperature gauge never goes above 160 mark on the gauge even after a long idle. I put my 143 degree thermostate back in and it works fine.

When I have the 160 degree stat in the engine, I have gas at the injectors, spark at the coil, but the engine doesn't fire up.

ahhudgins...did this issue get resolved? I am considering the 143 to 160 change... Owners Man says 143, SkiDim says 160...don't want to create a new problem for myself !!! Thanks ST

ccover20
06-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Worked good