PDA

View Full Version : Repair of '98 PS 205 Rear Bench

dirtk38
08-29-2010, 11:02 PM
My recently-acquired 1998 PS 205 has a problem with its rear bench seat. Being a mastercraft newbie, I'm not sure how the bottom of the bench is supposed to attach to the boat. At the moment, the seat just rests on the two fiberglass "ledges" on each side of the boat. Problem is, the seat is too narrow...once someone sits on the seat, it falls through to the floor. Are there supposed to be supports/legs on the bottom of the seat? I see what looks like two sets of screw holes on the underside of the seat. I also see two metal pieces/clips screwed into the fiberglass "ledges" on both sides...is something supposed to attached to these? If anyone could provide a good description of how this seat is supposed to look/work, that would be great. A picture of the bottom of a proper seat would also be nice. Thanks!

atlfootr
08-29-2010, 11:21 PM
My recently-acquired 1998 PS 205 has a problem with its rear bench seat. Being a mastercraft newbie, I'm not sure how the bottom of the bench is supposed to attach to the boat. At the moment, the seat just rests on the two fiberglass "ledges" on each side of the boat. Problem is, the seat is too narrow...once someone sits on the seat, it falls through to the floor. Are there supposed to be supports/legs on the bottom of the seat? I see what looks like two sets of screw holes on the underside of the seat. I also see two metal pieces/clips screwed into the fiberglass "ledges" on both sides...is something supposed to attached to these? If anyone could provide a good description of how this seat is supposed to look/work, that would be great.
A picture of the bottom of a proper seat would also be nice.
Thanks!Everything you said, now makes total sense ...

Hey dirtk38,

All MC Owners and newb's are definitely welcomed. :D
There's a guy on the lake w/ a 205 ProStar Sammy D, I just called and told him of your situation.
He told me to come over and take some pictures of his back seat's ledge rest and then post 'em for you.

So here they are :D Hope it helps analyze the problem a little easier.

atlfootr
08-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Few more ..... not sure what the clip below is for and the black plug like screw in the bottom of the ledge.
Maybe some here can explain it, thanks.

dmminfla
08-30-2010, 08:15 PM
My recently-acquired 1998 PS 205 has a problem with its rear bench seat. Being a mastercraft newbie, I'm not sure how the bottom of the bench is supposed to attach to the boat. At the moment, the seat just rests on the two fiberglass "ledges" on each side of the boat. Problem is, the seat is too narrow...once someone sits on the seat, it falls through to the floor. Are there supposed to be supports/legs on the bottom of the seat? I see what looks like two sets of screw holes on the underside of the seat. I also see two metal pieces/clips screwed into the fiberglass "ledges" on both sides...is something supposed to attached to these? If anyone could provide a good description of how this seat is supposed to look/work, that would be great. A picture of the bottom of a proper seat would also be nice. Thanks!

Read this post this should clear things up. The seat should be pretty tight in the seat position.Yours might not be original. The hooks are for straps for the sundeck position.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15653

dirtk38
08-31-2010, 12:05 AM
atlfootr, thank you so much for doing the legwork to get those pictures for me! What year was that sammy? My 205 is actually an SD as well, but the back rest of my bench is a single piece instead of 3 sections. Thanks to the pics and the link from dmminfla, its all starting to make sense now. Unfortunately though, I think it confirms that my seat is somehow not wide enough. I know that the previous owner had most of the boat's upholstery redone back in the spring, and it all looks great...but I guess they took a little off the edges on bench. I'm thinking i'll have to extend the fiberglass ledges with some teak, and then I should be good. Anyone have a better idea?

-Kurt

atlfootr
08-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Maybe instead, make the bottom board of the back seat wider instead so it fits across the back ledges.
Your welcome for the pics' ...

supturb89
08-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Timely thread here. I'm going to have to replace the rear seat of my 96 205. It seems that it was replaced by the previous owner, however he used composite wood decking to refab the seat. Let's just say that this thing is heavy.

dirtk38
Did you happen to get that 98 SD in Gallatin, TN?

dirtk38
08-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Supturb89, I sure did. Brought it home this past weekend. Do you know the boat?

supturb89
09-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Supturb89, I sure did. Brought it home this past weekend. Do you know the boat?

I was looking to buy it, just couldn't get together on a price.

I PM'd you about your upholstery issue.

captain planet
09-07-2010, 05:48 PM
atlfootr, thank you so much for doing the legwork to get those pictures for me! What year was that sammy? My 205 is actually an SD as well, but the back rest of my bench is a single piece instead of 3 sections. Thanks to the pics and the link from dmminfla, its all starting to make sense now. Unfortunately though, I think it confirms that my seat is somehow not wide enough. I know that the previous owner had most of the boat's upholstery redone back in the spring, and it all looks great...but I guess they took a little off the edges on bench. I'm thinking i'll have to extend the fiberglass ledges with some teak, and then I should be good. Anyone have a better idea?

-Kurt

Any chance the previous owner got a hold of the seat base of a 1998 190 and swapped it out? If the seat is to narrow for the fiberglass ledge in the bottom position, then it is really going to be to narrow in the sundeck position. I would suggest getting a wider seat base somehow.

In my 1998 190, my seat is really tight in the bottom position, however it would be nice to have it be a little extra wider when it is in the sundeck position.

dirtk38
09-07-2010, 07:40 PM
I talked to the PO, and he said the seat was like that when he got the boat (he was the second owner). I was able to get through this weekend by stuffing cushions under the seat, but I sure would like to for the seat to fit like it was supposed to. Having an optional sundeck would be great too. Anyone ever gotten one of these rebuilt/replaced?

dmminfla
09-07-2010, 08:32 PM
I talked to the PO, and he said the seat was like that when he got the boat (he was the second owner). I was able to get through this weekend by stuffing cushions under the seat, but I sure would like to for the seat to fit like it was supposed to. Having an optional sundeck would be great too. Anyone ever gotten one of these rebuilt/replaced?

When I bought my 97 PS 205 the rear bench was missing. My freind had a 98 205 so I took it and had a copy made. He used plywood covered with fiberglass.