PDA

View Full Version : 2011 GMC/Chevy Duramax 2500 pickup.. anybody snatched one up yet? questions---

Eric2010MCX2
08-29-2010, 09:37 PM
So I am 99% sure this is what we are going to have for our new tow vehicle next spring. As no fuel mileage figures are available... anyone who has gotten one of these.. what kind of mileage are you getting? Anything you really like, or dislike?

D3skier
08-29-2010, 10:27 PM
not to push you in a different direction but have you considered a new 2011 Ford F-250? They're claiming the new 2011 engines are getting 30% better gas mileage.

brettmess24
08-29-2010, 10:37 PM
All I know is they are going to have a new frame and engines. They are upping the tow rate to some pretty big numbers, should make for a killer tow rig.

Eric2010MCX2
08-29-2010, 10:51 PM
not to push you in a different direction but have you considered a new 2011 Ford F-250? They're claiming the new 2011 engines are getting 30% better gas mileage.

Yea, the F250 is what we were looking at originally, but I HATE the two tone leather thing they are doing and the overall interior is subpar... The interior of the Sierra is AWESOME..

So the Sierra it will be.

95prostar
08-29-2010, 11:05 PM
i just picked up the 2010 gmc 2500 z71 and couldnt be happier. i dont have the diesel but the 6.0 gas with the six speed is an awesome towing truck.

scott023
08-29-2010, 11:23 PM

I wouldn't touch a new Ford with a 10 foot pole. Give them a couple years to get the new diesel figured out.

1redTA
08-29-2010, 11:28 PM
I see gmc has a Denali edition of the duramax now. has to be NICE

samgreazy
08-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Your right about the ford heard they have had quite a few problems but I also have a 2500hd Witt the 6.0 and the gas mileage is horrible looking to get a mid to late 90s model ford with the 7.3 powerstroke

Eric2010MCX2
08-30-2010, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't touch a new Ford with a 10 foot pole. Give them a couple years to get the new diesel figured out.

Yep, another reason I want to stay away from the ford after finding out the history o the 6.0 ltr diesel. The duramax is suppossed to be pretty reliable. And yes the denali is suuhweet! Was gonna getthat but it only co es in 3 colors, none of which match our x2.. So a loaded up SLT it will be.

magnum
08-30-2010, 12:23 AM
I have a 6.0 Ford and have spent over $7K in repair bills in the last 14 months . Have heard the 2011 6.7 L Diesel is getting 24mpg hwy not pulling about about 18 pulling , have not heard any new on the chevy

squishd
08-30-2010, 07:56 AM
If I were to get a new diesel for a tow vehicle I would look at the cummins.

timvan
08-30-2010, 08:18 AM
You wont get as good of mileage with a new TD as the older ones due to all the emissions bs that the govt has made manditory as of 2007

I stripped my 2006 Duramx of all emissions, added efi live and a some other goodies and can easily get 23 mpg FLYING down the highway at 80mph unloaded, put the Maristar 230 on the back and it drops a bit - 19-20mpg. Im a very aggrissive driver and I do use all of the 500+ hp on tap. If I had a light foot im sure id see much better #'s

You will be able to do pretty much the same once the aftermarket catches up with the '11 stuff..but you will have more items to get rid of such as the DPF

Id second not touching a new ford TD until they have been proven, they just havent got them right since the 7.3l

Cummings, yeah they make a great motor...too bad the truck is just an expensive shipping crate for it.

Jerseydave
08-30-2010, 09:31 AM
I've heard good reports about the Duramax. One friend pulls a 42 foot Sonic offshore and I have another that pulls a 12K lb. 5th wheel trailer with his '06 Duramax. The new ones have even more torque.

Ford 7.3 is the only one to have according to my friend (shop foreman) at the dealer. Ford tried to increase hp on the 6.0 buy upping the turbo boost, which causes some issues (blown head gaskets). The older automatics were too weak, that's why they came out with a new trans.

tlcrichardson
08-30-2010, 09:40 AM
I heard the option is 7k fr the diesel. I also heard they are pushing 26 arund town and 29 on a long trip on interstate. I have not seen it with my own eyes yet, but if I do it sounds like a truck to have. You go gas and you just do not have that pull of a diesel. Nothing like coming into a hill and just call on the engine and have it pull to the top. Nothing like a diesel. Miss it and use my fathers as much as possible for the tow vehile and his is an 2010

Barritia
08-30-2010, 09:42 AM
You shouldn't need anymore than a 1/2 ton to tow these boats. Most can tow over 11klbs. We down graded from 250's to 150's for tow vehicles because they were so much nicer to drive and parking them in tight places was much less hassle.

Thrall
08-30-2010, 10:14 AM
I heard the option is 7k fr the diesel. I also heard they are pushing 26 arund town and 29 on a long trip on interstate. I have not seen it with my own eyes yet, but if I do it sounds like a truck to have. You go gas and you just do not have that pull of a diesel. Nothing like coming into a hill and just call on the engine and have it pull to the top. Nothing like a diesel. Miss it and use my fathers as much as possible for the tow vehile and his is an 2010

The 7k adder is about right, but change 26/29 to 16/19 and that would be closer.
Oh yeah and nothing like a diesel.

MIMC
08-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Eric -

2011 GMC/Chevy HD has a new frame, suspension, steering, diesel, slight sheet metal and cosmetics. I have driven a captured test fleet vehicle and ride quality is tremendous for a HD truck - definitely better then the 2010. Yes, a denali package is now available on the HD. The diesel I drove got low - to mid 20's on the hwy and I'm an average to aggresive driver. Around town mid-upper teens. The 6.0 gas engine has improved slightly for MPG, but the diesel will get better mpg's. The 6.0 liter will be around 15 mpg's, maybe 16 - 18 if you take it easy. Like many on here I am not a fan of the DPF, but necessary evil to comply with today's tough EPA standards. Two small issues on initial launch - but already corrected and changes made at the plant. By the time you order any early issues will be resolved. 'm looking to order a 3/4 ton diesel to tow our 30 foot travel trailer. Hope this helps.

MIMC

flipper
08-30-2010, 12:12 PM
agreed, in fact I know of quite a few companies that went from ford diesels to the gas engines because the diesels are such piles. Our company has ran ford diesels in the field long as I can remember, and we just bought a whole load of gassers

TallRedRider
08-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Nice!!!!!!!!! I hope to see one soon. Since the Ford Excursion with diesel is no longer being made, it has been impossible to find a Diesel that holds more than 6 persons. That is huge and I know in Utah (big families) these things will sell like hotcakes.

You shouldn't need anymore than a 1/2 ton to tow these boats. Most can tow over 11klbs. We down graded from 250's to 150's for tow vehicles because they were so much nicer to drive and parking them in tight places was much less hassle.

'These boats'...I would not include my X45 in that. My 2005 Ford Excursion pulls my X45 so much better than my Toyota Tundra, which is rated to pull nearly 10K. The Ford F150 has towing capacity of around 9K so I doubt it would pull it any better. And my diesel is the old 6.0. The big difference is on the highway. I thought there was very little difference at first, until I took the boat on the highway going more than 55 MPH. That is where having a diesel really makes a difference.

timvan
08-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Nice!!!!!!!!! I hope to see one soon. Since the Ford Excursion with diesel is no longer being made, it has been impossible to find a Diesel that holds more than 6 persons. That is huge and I know in Utah (big families) these things will sell like hotcakes.

He means the Denali Silverado..

Bert
08-30-2010, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=TallRedRider;705867] That is huge and I know in Utah (big families)

What is special about Utah that their would be a market to be filled for Big Families??? Why more there than other areas.

Datdude
08-30-2010, 01:54 PM
for GM information check out
www.dieselplace.com

and this thread
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387131

For Ford information, check out
www.thedieselstop.com

My last three trucks have all been Duramax powered. My current truck is a 2009 Chevy 2500 crew/short 4x4 LTZ and it is very comfortable. I had a Ford F-250 years ago and really liked the interior size of the crew cab. That is really about all the GM trucks are lacking IMHO is a bigger back seat. I rode in a 2011 Ferd last week and was amazed at how quiet it was. It was almost Duramax quiet! It was a basic XLT so the interior was not the best, but they might have a nice truck on their hands. I wanted a King Ranch when I bought my 2009, but could not get past the engine issues and bad mileage on the 6.4L. Good luck!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
08-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Disagree, 1/2 tons are no fun to tow with they really are just city trucks for hauling a few bags of mulch. If you tow a lot you will smooth wear out a 1/2 ton truck.

TallRedRider
08-30-2010, 02:09 PM

That hurts. I was excited. Don't they call the new suburban a Denali XL or some such?

[QUOTE=timvan;705875]

What is special about Utah that their would be a market to be filled for Big Families??? Why more there than other areas.

There are a lot of Mormons here. The real name is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They believe in bigger families. I have 4 kids and we often tag along a couple of friends to fill up our 8 seat Excursion. One of our neighbors uses a 15 passenger van for their family with their 8 kids.

Barritia
08-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Disagree, 1/2 tons are no fun to tow with they really are just city trucks for hauling a few bags of mulch. If you tow a lot you will smooth wear out a 1/2 ton truck.

Seems you have not driven any new half tons then! As I said we changed to half tons because of the safety features and the smoother ride. All our trailers are over 7500lb gvwr and are loaded to the brim everyday of the week. The new f150 can tow over 11k+ without issue. These new trucks have features like integrated brake controllers with trailer sway control, tow/haul mode, hydro formed chassis's, 5 star crash safety ratings, massive amounts of internal space, reverse cam, flat load floors, fords new 6 speed is one he'll off a trans also. I have towed with many vehicles and upto yet the new f150 beats them all. Now if I need a tow rig for 10k+ then theres no doubt I would move to a 3/4 but more than likely skip that and go straight to a 1 ton. I liked them so much I even bought my self a loaded model. Crazy how it rides like a car! The interior is also a step above the rest. None of that plastic fantastic tin can feel like the tundras, dodge and nissans. Go test drive one and see for your self.

That's the one I bought below.

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/BazzerBreakfast/Truck%20Pics/P4050173.jpg

timvan
08-30-2010, 02:24 PM
There are a lot of Mormons here. The real name is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They believe in bigger families. I have 4 kids and we often tag along a couple of friends to fill up our 8 seat Excursion. One of our neighbors uses a 15 passenger van for their family with their 8 kids.

nothing wrong with telling another family to meet you at the lake.

Barritia
08-30-2010, 02:29 PM

'These boats'...I would not include my X45 in that. My 2005 Ford Excursion pulls my X45 so much better than my Toyota Tundra, which is rated to pull nearly 10K. The Ford F150 has towing capacity of around 9K so I doubt it would pull it any better. And my diesel is the old 6.0. The big difference is on the highway. I thought there was very little difference at first, until I took the boat on the highway going more than 55 MPH. That is where having a diesel really makes a difference.

The x-45 can't weight much more than 6500lbs fully loaded. I know people with bigger boats who tow them with cars and cope just fine. Even a ford ranger could tow the x-45. That's weights way below the tow capacity of the f150 which is over 11k lbs.

treptowr
08-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Just bought a 2010 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD. Replaced my 2004 Silverado 2500HD. Pulls the boat nice. I also pull about a 8000lb fifth wheel. Never had any problems with the Gas engine. Even did a round trip to the Ozarks pulling the fifth wheel and never felt like I needed more truck. I just saw a new 2011 Ford Lariat f250. They have really improved their interiors. I really like the Drivers information Center on the 2011 Fords. Very Techy looking. Lots of options in the huge display.

Bert
08-30-2010, 02:41 PM
That hurts. I was excited. Don't they call the new suburban a Denali XL or some such?

[QUOTE=Bert;705878]

Wow, they could use another boat as well. Never a problem finding a third:D

ejg333
08-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Picked up up 07 Dodge Mega cab with the 5.9 Cummings and I am very satisfied so far. 20 mpg highway 16 mpg towing usuing the tow/haul mode. just got back from Lake Shasta truck and boat performed great. wife and kids love the mega-cab lots of room.

jraben8
08-30-2010, 03:12 PM
That's the one I bought below.

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/BazzerBreakfast/Truck%20Pics/P4050173.jpg

Nice Epic! I just built up a 2010 Epic 29'er.

Sodar
08-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Watch for the nes SAE towing standard to come into affect. The F-150s, Titans, Silverados and Tundras with 10,000lb + tow ratings are all going to be leveled out and a true tow rating will be established. The same will go for the 3/4 and 1-tons.

You can read more about the new standard here: http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/stories/saetowing/page1.html

So far, Toyota has been the only company to publish their rating with the new standard. All the other companies are expected to step up in the next year or so.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/toyota-lowers-trailering-ratings-gains-credibility.html

Barritia
08-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Nice Epic! I just built up a 2010 Epic 29'er.

Thanks man. Wish I could find more time to ride. Been a busy year for me so far. Used to have the s-works epic but at over $5k of bike it was not getting used enough. Nearly bought a 29'er when I bought the epic. Got a great deal on the epic though as it was a demo. I ain't even tried the new epics out. Might take a look at one next time I upgrade. Heard very good things about them.

Barritia
08-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Watch for the nes SAE towing standard to come into affect. The F-150s, Titans, Silverados and Tundras with 10,000lb + tow ratings are all going to be leveled out and a true tow rating will be established. The same will go for the 3/4 and 1-tons.

You can read more about the new standard here: http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/stories/saetowing/page1.html

So far, Toyota has been the only company to publish their rating with the new standard. All the other companies are expected to step up in the next year or so.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/toyota-lowers-trailering-ratings-gains-credibility.html

I thought they bought that in years ago. I did hear the new f150 2009/2010 used the new testing standards though. It's a good idea though as each auto maker could just make up a figure bigger than the next.

flipper
08-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Interesting, I always kind of laughed at tow ratings or arguments such as this. "My sticker says.." when we all know that the sticker means jack$h!t in the real world

rspiecha
08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Chevy/GMC won again with the diesel. 2010 Heavy-Duty Shootout (http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010-heavyduty-shootout.html)

Sodar
08-30-2010, 03:44 PM
I thought they bought that in years ago. I did hear the new f150 2009/2010 used the new testing standards though. It's a good idea though as each auto maker could just make up a figure bigger than the next.

Nah.... Dodge and Toyota are the only companies that have taken their trucks and actually tested, published and advertise the true ratings per the standard, this far. I have been following this pretty closely after purchasing an new "plastic fantastic tin" truck this fall. :rolleyes:

Barritia
08-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Chevy/GMC won again with the diesel. 2010 Heavy-Duty Shootout (http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010-heavyduty-shootout.html)

I believe ford would have won that test if they had tested with the increased power from the new tune. From what I hear it has made a massive difference in MPG and performance. The 6.2 would be my engine of choice though. I can't stand diesel engines.

Barritia
08-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Nah.... Dodge and Toyota are the only companies that have taken their trucks and actually tested, published and advertise the true ratings per the standard, this far. I have been following this pretty closely after purchasing an new "plastic fantastic tin" truck this fall. :rolleyes:

The reason I though they were using it was because of the new figures on the door stickers. It shows you your exact payload/tow capacity based on the trucks configured options. There was a lot of confusion based on these new door stickers because people were buying loaded models and thinking they still had the same tow capacities as the lower end models. Mine says 900lb payload. A friend of mine ha sthe same exact truck and he ain't got the bed steps and his has a 20lb higher payload than mine.

Sodar
08-30-2010, 03:54 PM
If you want to be honest. All this is totally subjective and personal preference. Look at this test. ~2 points apart between the big 3. You like Fords? Fine. I like Chevy's. It still gets the boat to the lake and makes you happy, right?

rspiecha
08-30-2010, 03:56 PM
3 HP and 35 FT/LBS torque isn't a massive increase, but I agree it would make the shotout even closer. The scorpion engine is the superior engine when it comes to modern technology, but the duramax at 10 years is a tried and true platform for now. Either way, they are all getting very pricey to buy.

Rob

Barritia
08-30-2010, 03:58 PM
If you want to be honest. All this is totally subjective and personal preference. Look at this test. ~2 points apart between the big 3. You like Fords? Fine. I like Chevy's. It still gets the boat to the lake and makes you happy, right?

Only reason I like fords is because of the better build quality and better interior design. Our chevy has had 3 transmissions in 3 years and now they will no longer warranty the trans work. Our dodge suv is up for sale at the moment again because of awful build quality and warranty issues. Ford is no the only domestic vehicle I will buy.

Sodar
08-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Only reason I like fords is because of the better build quality and better interior design. Our chevy has had 3 transmissions in 3 years and now they will no longer warranty the trans work. Our dodge suv is up for sale at the moment again because of awful build quality and warranty issues. Ford is no the only domestic vehicle I will buy.

First off, I don't care what you like and don't even care about your reasoning. Do your thing... I'll do mine.

Secondly, I was speaking solely of the posted test results between the big 3, which too is totally subjective and quite possibly slightly skewed.

Lastly, I have no dog in this fight. I will most likely never own another American made vehicle for the rest of my life(unless I am able to build my custom 1-ton dually build! :D). Nothing that the domestic car/truck companies offer interests me. I'll stick to sitting on the bench and watch everyone battle it out about who's truck is the best. 8p

Barritia
08-30-2010, 04:16 PM
First off, I don't care what you like and don't even care about your reasoning. Do your thing... I'll do mine.

Secondly, I was speaking solely of the posted test results between the big 3, which too is totally subjective and quite possibly slightly skewed.

Lastly, I have no dog in this fight. I will most likely never own another American made vehicle for the rest of my life(unless I am able to build my custom 1-ton dually build! :D). Nothing that the domestic car/truck companies offer interests me. I'll stick to sitting on the bench and watch everyone battle it out about who's truck is the best. 8p

I'm confused! First you say you like Chevys then you say you don't and nothing domestic interests you? :confused:

People should just buy what they like. I shopped Toyota, Nissan and dodge when I was looking for a truck. I was not at all brand loyal but after owning a ford for the very first time I'm impressed with the quality they are putting out.

Forrest-X45
08-30-2010, 04:23 PM
3 HP and 35 FT/LBS torque isn't a massive increase, but I agree it would make the shotout even closer. The scorpion engine is the superior engine when it comes to modern technology, but the duramax at 10 years is a tried and true platform for now. Either way, they are all getting very pricey to buy.

Rob

Maybe.....it might have made it worse since the ford was having traction issues with the traction control kicking in and cutting the power. Sounds like ford needs to do some more work and isn't nearly as refined as the Chevy/GMC. The Chevy/GMC just put all that power down smoothly and got the heavy load moving faster and better.

If you take a really close look at the new ford 6.7 diesel it looks a lot like the Duramax in apperance. Supposedly it is very similar in architecture as well. I guess if you can't beat 'em, copy 'em. :D

Sodar
08-30-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm confused! First you say you like Chevys then you say you don't and nothing domestic interests you? :confused:

People should just buy what they like. I shopped Toyota, Nissan and dodge when I was looking for a truck. I was not at all brand loyal but after owning a ford for the very first time I'm impressed with the quality they are putting out.

I was stating the you like fords, I like chevys as a hypothetical. After re-reading my post, I understand how you could have misunderstood it.

Barritia
08-30-2010, 04:28 PM
:toast:I was stating the you like fords, I like chevys as a hypothetical. After re-reading my post, I understand how you could have misunderstood it.

:toast:

rspiecha
08-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Actually, the Ford 6.7 gets a lot of its technoloy from the GM aborted 4.5 baby duramax.

Forrest-X45
08-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Actually, the Ford 6.7 get a lot of its technoloy from the GM aborted 4.5 baby duramax.

Latest rumors in the diesel mags it's back in business......I am not holding my breath. :rolleyes: It sure would be a great engine for the Suburbans.

Thrall
08-30-2010, 05:34 PM

Not even subjective, some of the comparisons in that chart are completely false, like the Cummins scoring higher in the unloaded drag race. While it's a darn good bulletproof engine, in stock trim it gives up alot of hp/tq to the other 2 trucks. No way stock for stock it won the unloaded drag race (unless MOpar threw a hot tune in the test truck).

Eric2010MCX2
08-30-2010, 10:48 PM
I have a 6.0 Ford and have spent over $7K in repair bills in the last 14 months . Have heard the 2011 6.7 L Diesel is getting 24mpg hwy not pulling about about 18 pulling , have not heard any new on the chevy

Yea, I test drove one for the second time the other day, and I was getting 14 city (very stop and go). and was getting right at 20mpg crusing at 75 mph on the highway.

Eric2010MCX2
08-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Eric -

2011 GMC/Chevy HD has a new frame, suspension, steering, diesel, slight sheet metal and cosmetics. I have driven a captured test fleet vehicle and ride quality is tremendous for a HD truck - definitely better then the 2010. Yes, a denali package is now available on the HD. The diesel I drove got low - to mid 20's on the hwy and I'm an average to aggresive driver. Around town mid-upper teens. The 6.0 gas engine has improved slightly for MPG, but the diesel will get better mpg's. The 6.0 liter will be around 15 mpg's, maybe 16 - 18 if you take it easy. Like many on here I am not a fan of the DPF, but necessary evil to comply with today's tough EPA standards. Two small issues on initial launch - but already corrected and changes made at the plant. By the time you order any early issues will be resolved. 'm looking to order a 3/4 ton diesel to tow our 30 foot travel trailer. Hope this helps.

MIMC
very helpful... thanks!! feeling better and better about our decision!

Eric2010MCX2
08-30-2010, 10:53 PM

Sierra Denali....

Eric2010MCX2
08-30-2010, 11:10 PM
YES.. I was catching up on my posts :-)

yesitis
03-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Any updates from anyone that owns a 2500HD Denali with a Duramax/Allison combo? Thinking about making the switch, and looking for input. Thanks

treiter
03-30-2012, 03:46 PM
I have had a Duramax since 2007. Best decision I ever made. Quiet and not a single problem to date. I can pull my fifth wheel or boat up the steepest mountain and make passes without breaking a sweat. Fuel mileage does seem to be different truck to truck, but 15 mpg in town or towing and 20 mpg highway empty is typical. Interior is comfortable and everything is well placed. I am sure there are Ford and Dodge owners out there with similar experience and let's face it everyone has their favorites. I would definitely buy another.

Deltaxstar
03-30-2012, 05:33 PM
since the question was asked about a 2011 duramax and it seems no one here owns one. ill tell you its a wayyy better truck then previous years rides better less engine noise tows more better fuel economy but still sub 20's highway. interior isnt much different to previous couple years backseat is still small on 4 door models. this is a company work truck by the way. the exhaust brake is cool and the six speed allison with the manual option. i like it but i love my 09 f250 crew cab. 6.4 with all the goodies h&s tuner 5 inch turbo back exhaust cai uprgraded intercooler piping. truck dyno'd at 608hp at the wheels 1234 ftlbs torque ran a 12.88 quarter mile in 4x4 high on 35's gets 26 miles to the gallon highway. best truck ive ever had ive had two chevys an 04 and 05 an 05 excursion 6.0 and a 2000 f250 7.3 work truck. the 6.4 is the best ford motor to date just make sure you delete that egr and get the updated radiator and thermostat which is on a recall anyway.

Rockman
03-30-2012, 06:42 PM
since the question was asked about a 2011 duramax and it seems no one here owns one. ill tell you its a wayyy better truck then previous years rides better less engine noise tows more better fuel economy but still sub 20's highway. interior isnt much different to previous couple years backseat is still small on 4 door models. this is a company work truck by the way. the exhaust brake is cool and the six speed allison with the manual option. i like it but i love my 09 f250 crew cab. 6.4 with all the goodies h&s tuner 5 inch turbo back exhaust cai uprgraded intercooler piping. truck dyno'd at 608hp at the wheels 1234 ftlbs torque ran a 12.88 quarter mile in 4x4 high on 35's gets 26 miles to the gallon highway. best truck ive ever had ive had two chevys an 04 and 05 an 05 excursion 6.0 and a 2000 f250 7.3 work truck. the 6.4 is the best ford motor to date just make sure you delete that egr and get the updated radiator and thermostat which is on a recall anyway.

Just commenting in general here...

Do you really need a 5 inch exhaust?

Bunch of guys near my house have these lifted diesels and drive around towing absolutely nothing and think they are pretty cool...until they get a flat tire and they are sitting at the curb waiting for a tow truck...waste of a truck unless you use it.

Deltaxstar
03-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Well I have a 42 foot toy hauler that weighs 17k unloaded so yes I do need it. 6.4's are a compound turbo set up there is a lot of heat going on the bigger the exhaust/better flowing = less egt's. Oh and mines NOT lifted

tuchodi51
03-31-2012, 12:50 PM
I have an 04 duramax with 250,000km no problems whatsoever. The new engines with DPF have issues with plugging up during long idle sessions in cold weather, and from what I've heard the urea injection is causing more problems as well. Only in cold weather climates though. My dad gets a new duramax every two yrs and all have been great trucks no issues whatsoever, pull 34 ft fifth wheels,heavy boats, you name it, and get good mileage. I now have a 2011 cummins due to it being the only one available with no urea injection. I love the truck but my 04 duramax and my dads duramax get better mileage.once it breaks in maybe it'll catch up.Both trucks have cold air intakes, programmers,and straight pipe exhausts from turbo back,no EPA issues up here.

AZX9
03-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Here is a pic of my tow vehicle with my old boat. Pulls like a diesel truck because it is, drives like a Porsche Cayenne because it is. Sips fuel like a VW Diesel because it is. This replaced my Dodge 2500 Cummins as a tow vehicle. Much more comfortable with only minimal power difference. This dudes got 3 liters where the Cummins had 5.9 but it's 2/3 the power plant. Pulls up grades really well.

http://i43.tinypic.com/4jrr76.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/aep5vr.jpg

wrightcj
04-01-2012, 10:57 PM
I bought a 2012 Sierra 2500 Duramax about a two months ago. Im getting around 13 in town and got 17 on a 90 mile trip both directions. My X-Star has only been towed twice with the new truck and that is only about 3 miles from my storage to the lake, so I have no idea what the mileage is. I know it's better than the 7 mpg my 2010 1/2 ton Silverado was getting.

Jerseydave
04-02-2012, 11:04 AM
I bought a 2012 Sierra 2500 Duramax about a two months ago. Im getting around 13 in town and got 17 on a 90 mile trip both directions. My X-Star has only been towed twice with the new truck and that is only about 3 miles from my storage to the lake, so I have no idea what the mileage is. I know it's better than the 7 mpg my 2010 1/2 ton Silverado was getting.

Your 1/2 ton silverado was only getting 7 mpg???
My 1/2 ton 5.3 suburban gets 18 mpg hwy solo, 13.5 mpg hwy towing the prostar 190.

17 hwy solo for a Duramax does not sound all that great.
My next truck may be a Ford Eco-boost if GM doesn't come out with something better soon.
I hear the 2014 GM trucks/full size SUV's will be all new. Waiting to see.

x-swagger
04-02-2012, 11:31 AM

I picked up a 2011 Denali HD with the Duramax a few weeks back.. Everytime I get to drive anywhere for any reason it puts a smile on my face, and the power is extremely impressive.
Here it is next to my old tow vehicle (Ford F-250 w/ 6.0 diesel).