PDA

View Full Version : '91 Tristar Transmission nightmare...

krcflyer
08-29-2010, 03:57 PM
What began as the std "rattley idle" ended up with the MC service mgr recommending a trans rebuild(which he couldn't do). He did pull the trans and (unfortunately) I found another shop that did a rebuild--which I'm led to believe is not that tough. Also got a new damper on it from skdim) Day one on the lake, the noise was "slightly" less, but worked fine. Day 2: after reversing from the trailer, all attempts at reverse would kill the engine. Engine would start in all throttle positions, and with idle button pulled, the boat would go forward when reverse throttle was commanded--from idle throttle to full throttle in reverse! I feel like an idiot for taking it to the MC dealer, now, because I can see some finger pointing at where the problem lies: linkage or transmission itself. The process has cost me 3 months of the summer and I think the fix to the fix will kill the rest of it.
Thanks to all that post here, I think I'm on my own as far as qualified repair help goes in socal..Now that I've shared (vented) I'm out to disconnect the cable and troubleshoot the linkage and see where I'm at.
Looks like my efforts to "pay the pros" did not get me the time savings that I was hoping for.:rant:

krcflyer
08-29-2010, 04:45 PM
It gets better..after checking the linkages , which appeared normal, I wanted to check the condition of the fluid (which should be new with 4 hrs since rebuild)...what fluid? None on dipstick, so got a longer stick and found some graphite looking sludge on the bottom..uh oh. Can anyone guess at the chain of legal responsibility for this? I really don't want to get stuck for another trans + R&R and don't think I should have to by trusting the two shops that I did. More to follow.

rjracin240
08-29-2010, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=krcflyer;705720] Can anyone guess at the chain of legal responsibility for this?
Judge Judy is down there in So.Cal these days I believe.

Seriously though I am so sorry to hear of your dilemma, think you have a long road ahead of you on this one trying to get anyone to take responsibility. They probably will all play the obama game and blame the last person

oldairboater
08-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Why would you get stuck? No guarantee or no name on the receipt? If it was me I would discuss this with the mechanic. Figure out a plan. Add fluid eventually and use logic to solve this problem. There are many threads and post on how to service, repair, and check out these transmissions. Your summer is shot? Summer here runs from February till November most years. Fix the boat--fix it right or get someone to fix it right and plan for next summer.