PDA

View Full Version : Slow starting problems

jwskier
08-29-2010, 08:17 AM
This weekend, my boat (99 pstar 205) was turning over very slowly, like my battery was going dead. I pulled the battery and had it tested, and the battery is fine. Now the starting problem is intermittent. Sometimes is cranks strong, other times it drags and there is a high pitched whine when I start it. Could this be a starter issue?

rjracin240
08-29-2010, 08:34 AM
This weekend, my boat (99 pstar 205) was turning over very slowly, like my battery was going dead. I pulled the battery and had it tested, and the battery is fine. Now the starting problem is intermittent. Sometimes is cranks strong, other times it drags and there is a high pitched whine when I start it. Could this be a starter issue?

Couple troubleshooting areas might be taking voltage readings at the solenoid (other end of positive cable for battery) Should have almost same amount as what you have at battery. If good then go to positive side of starter should not get any voltage until the key is turned to start position, should be getting at least 11 volts anything less and you might have some corroded battery cables, good voltage and it is probably a bad starter. Just went through this with my boat. Starter would crank right when cold, but after a few minutes it would start dragging and becoming intermittent attributed to a short between solenoid (on starter) and starter motor.
Replaced all the battery cables with 2gauge welding cable (About $50) then replaced starter (while starter was out hooked it up to a battery with jumper cables neg terminal to case of starter and then take pos lead and touch the pos lead on starter. sure enough it would act intermittently. Confirmed it by going to auto parts where they bench tested it)
Bought starter from these guys http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-2320-new-mercruiser-marine-omc-cw-starter-ford-engine-3205-marine-sfd0001.aspx
works like a champ.....good luck hope this helps

JimN
08-29-2010, 09:43 AM

If you haven't been taking the boat in for any service, it's likely caused by the fact that the starter hasn't been lubricated since it was new. The Bendix and shaft are supposed to be lubed annually. If you have been taking it in, it's due to the fact that the service department isn't doing their job completely.

oldairboater
08-29-2010, 11:47 AM
It needs the bearings/bushings and gears checked. Most likely it needs grease bad and maybe the brush pack replaced. I have a rebuilder I have know forever. I rebuild a lot of my own through the years. If my rebuilder does it --he does it in front of me. That is how he works --which is cool with me. That way I know what conditions they are in.

rjracin240
08-29-2010, 12:39 PM
If you haven't been taking the boat in for any service, it's likely caused by the fact that the starter hasn't been lubricated since it was new. The Bendix and shaft are supposed to be lubed annually. If you have been taking it in, it's due to the fact that the service department isn't doing their job completely.

Thanks for the tip I will have to put this on my maintenance list that I am putting together...What lube is recommended for this? Grease or a lightweight oil?

1985 Skiier
08-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Believe it or not chapstick works great!

oldairboater
08-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Grease... a good grease. Some people might recommend something special------me I recommend cleaning out the old and adding what you like but don't mix different greases if you can help it.