PDA

View Full Version : 1989 prostar starter

ttu
08-28-2010, 06:25 PM
guys, need help for my cousin. he bought a 89 prostar from a fellow member. the starter has gone out. he called skidim last week and they sent him a new one. they did tell him the newer model was smaller but much better, but that it had one extra wire on it.

problem is he has it installed but does not know what to do the "extra" yellow relay wire.

any help can put him back on the water this weekend.

thanks.:D

Cloaked
08-28-2010, 08:52 PM
guys, need help for my cousin. he bought a 89 prostar from a fellow member. the starter has gone out. he called skidim last week and they sent him a new one. they did tell him the newer model was smaller but much better, but that it had one extra wire on it.

problem is he has it installed but does not know what to do the "extra" yellow relay wire.

any help can put him back on the water this weekend.

thanks.:D
For the 351 Ford engine, it goes to the starter relay (located on the rear of the engine, under the black plastic cover), onto the leg closest to the starter, and not on the hot leg of the relay. There is a leg that is smaller in diameter than the other two, and it does not go there either. That is a much improved starter and should give him good service. Don't let the size fool you.

ttu
08-29-2010, 08:19 AM
thanks for yor help. will let him know.

Luv2Ski
08-30-2010, 11:31 AM
I just put one of those in a couple of days ago, it should have come with a little diagram showing how to hook it up. Since he did not have the diagram at all, I am concerned he might not have the large wire in the correct location either, so as another point of input:

Large wire from the new starter to the post on the original solenoid post that has the battery attached (should be the top one). Effectively, this wires the new starter directly to the battery. This is because the new starter has its own solenoid.
Little wire goes from the spade terminal on the starter to the other large terminal on the old solenoid. This will be the terminal that the original started attached to (should also be on the bottom). It only gets 12v when the key is in the start position and will tell the new starter when to fire its solenoid.

The new starter does indeed rock, world of difference.

ttu
08-30-2010, 11:48 AM
he got it installed. thanks for those who helped.:D

03geetee
10-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Old thread but does anyone have any pictures of this starter? I would like to upgrade mine on my 83 PCM 351.

Thanks for any help!

JTR

Luv2Ski
10-13-2010, 08:13 AM
See this link:

http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/Pages%2031-38%20InBoard%20Starters.pdf

It is the 70200 that we are discussing, page 36.

It is the one sold by skidim (I called and verified), but you can find it much less at other vendors (almost $100 less).

03geetee
10-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the link! So this is noticably better in terms of performance then my old stocker? When she gets hot (motor) the starter is very slow to get her moving again so I usually just let it idle instead of shutting it off. I know there are other factors involved here but for me if the starter sounds great when cold and fires the boat up with ease, then does the direct opposite when its hot then it must be the starter.

Thank you!

JTR

Luv2Ski
10-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Much better performance. The engine is spun considerably faster with this starter than with a stock one. This leads to nice quick starts. The gear reduction motors just plain sound cool too as they spin much faster.

Before purchasing, might as well check that cables/battery are in good shape and the connections are clean. That said, with the cold vs. hot difference, I agree there is a pretty good chance it is the starter, just never hurts to check.

I verified mine was a starter issue by taking it to my local parts outlet. Can't recall who I ordered mine from at the moment, but it was under $150

03geetee
10-13-2010, 04:52 PM
If you could find out that would be great.

I just checked your resto thread, man you did some killer work on your boat. Professional to say the least bro!

JTR

Luv2Ski
10-14-2010, 10:21 AM
I knew there was a reason I saved all those order confirmation emails. Looks like I ordered from JMSOnline for a wapping $145.

http://www.jmsonline.net/arco-inboard-starter-arc-70200.htm

A secondary advantage of switching to this starter is that it essentially replaces the stock solenoid which maybe part of your problem. The stock solenoid is still used, but not for the high amperage part of the circuit.

Thanks for the comment on my boat, it has been a rewarding project and a really fun toy to have this season.

Luv2Ski
10-14-2010, 10:22 AM
By the way, your avatar picture is given me a mighty thirst.... and it is only 10:22 am here!

87PS190
10-14-2010, 07:48 PM
I've been considering a new starter too. Haven't noticed a hot start issue but it hesitates sometimes.
Found it for $141
http://www.iboats.com/Starter-Arco/dm/view_id.684096?cm_mmc=Google+Shopping

03geetee
10-14-2010, 08:12 PM
By the way, your avatar picture is given me a mighty thirst.... and it is only 10:22 am here!

Bro I am enjoying a Leinies Oktoberfest as we speak and it is delicious!

They make a great product and are great people, met one of the brothers and went to the brewery. I am a fan to say the least!

As for your comment on your boat what you did is really something that you should be proud of, top notch in everyway.

JTR

03geetee
02-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Just dug this up as I will be replacing the starter before I hit the water this spring. Is the 70200 Arco the right starter for my boat?

351 PCM powerslot

Thanks for any help!

JTR

Luv2Ski
02-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Yep, should fit any 351 as I understand it. It is a sweet little motor.

Looks like JMS still has em cheap too ($125)

03geetee
02-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Sick! Thats why I was asking I'll be ordering tomorrow!

JTR