PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Vacation

atlps190
07-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Anybody had some good / bad experiences in the Charleston and Myrtle Beach areas? Things to see and do?

I'm taking the family in the RV for a week - a couple days in Charleston and three or four up in Myrtle Beach. I am definitely taking a set or two at Trophy Lakes, but the primary focus is the family.

Thanks!

smsunman1
07-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Stay in Charleston! No seriously Myrtle Beach is fun to a certain extant. Its all about shopping and eating. I forgot traffic, it doesn't come to a stand still but it moves pretty slow, nothing compared to atlanta though.
I have an aunt that has a buisness in myrtle beach, and she has had enough and moved to a home in georgetown on the river. When you go to "My turtle" beach possibly stay in Surfside a little more relaxed and absence of the bigmommas, my be not an absence but a significant decrease

BriEOD
07-07-2005, 10:11 AM
I live in the Charleston area. Their is a lot to do and see. Trophy Lakes is probably 20-30 minutes from the downtown area. It's not terribly difficult to find. Their are two beaches (south) Folly Beach and (north) Isle of Palms. Their is a ton of history to see down on the Pennisula/Battery. You can take horse drawn carriage tours and get a history lesson. Charleston also has some outstanding resteraunts.

Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my # if you need some questions answered.

lakes Rick
07-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Fort sumpter...

Just amazed me looking at the place where the Civil war started.. ORiginal cannon, and cannon balls in the walls from the civil war.. I am a bit of a history buff, but it was pretty cool..

USC8791
07-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Forget about Myrtle Beach. Spend your entire time in Charleston. Beaches, Plantations/Gardens, Museums, Historic sites, incredible dining and more! Must see's (for newbies) include Fort Sumter, Fort Moultrie, Charles Towne Landing, Patriot's Point (WWII carrier and other vessels), Middleton Plantation, CSS Hunley (Civil War sub), The Battery, Market and of course Trophy Lakes. Must eats include Cypress, McCrady's and Penninsula Grille. Don't believe the hype about Hymans Seafood (long wait for fried food).

Trophy may allow camping on their site if you are using the facilities for skiing/lessons.

Trust me; if you go to Myrtle Beach you will be highly disappointed. Nothing but donut shops, t-shirt shops, breakfast joints and wax museums. Everything a Jersey girl on Spring Break needs.

USC8791
07-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Just realized you are from Atlanta. Definitely don't go to MB. I would understand if you were from the Northeast. Then of course Myrtle Beach would be on your "Places to go to wear my speedo with dark socks and sandals before I die" list.

BriEOD
07-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Spend your entire time in Charleston. Beaches, Plantations/Gardens, Museums, Historic sites, incredible dining and more! Must see's (for newbies) include Fort Sumter, Fort Moultrie, Charles Towne Landing, Patriot's Point (WWII carrier and other vessels), Middleton Plantation, CSS Hunley (Civil War sub), The Battery, Market and of course Trophy Lakes. Must eats include Cypress, McCrady's and Penninsula Grille. Don't believe the hype about Hymans Seafood (long wait for fried food).

I'm not real high on SC beaches. Actually I think they suck. But, I may be a tad biased growing up in FL and living in Hawaii for 4 years. But, if you do hit the beach, Folly Beach is closest.

Definitely take a carriage ride around the market. You will get a great history lesson and see the slave market, rainbow row, the battery (depending on what route you get - lottery system). Their is a lot to do on the Pennisula: Aquarium, Imax, Market, some old houses that will let you in for a small fee, the battery, etc.

There are some great resteraunts and I agree w/ USC disregard all the bilboards about Hymans. My wife loves 82 Queen. Magnolias, Charleston Chop House and Slightly North of Broad (SNOB) are all good. If you want some good beer, live irish music and reasonably priced food hit Tommy Condons on Church Street right off the Market (one of my favorites).

PS--It has been very hot here lately. In the 90's with 100% humidity daily.

H20skeefreek
07-08-2005, 12:02 AM
I agree, Hymans sucks. Skip it. A.W. Shucks is pretty good if you like oysters and crab cakes.

Skip Myrtle Beach. It sucks. Unless you are into collecting "Big Johnson" t-shirts that is.

LakePirate
07-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Not to piggyback his thread but just made the reservations for the Wife and I to celebrate her b-day at the end of the month. Staying at Planters Inn (that is where she wanted to stay) and catching 2 sets each over at Trophy lakes.

Any tips before I head over there and get abused?

pilot02
07-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Hit the gym ALOT!! :uglyhamme

atlps190
07-11-2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks to all...some great suggestions!

krra1
07-11-2005, 03:03 PM
One restaurant that is a local favorate is on Isle of Palm just after you leave Sullivan's Island heading North. It's called The Boathouse. The fact that you need to make your reservations about 3-4 weeks out speaks for it's self. Don't be confussed, there is a Boathouse in downtown Charlestown but it is not the same. There is also a minor league baseball team in Charlestown called the River Dogs. A lot of fun for young kids. You can talk with the players without much of a problem. I agree with everyone about Hyman's, the only good thing there is boiled peanuts.
They also have ghost tours of old buildings that, as the story goes, are haunted. Never been on one but hear they are fun. A lot of the tours of the old city will bore young kids out of their minds so don't pay for too many in advance.

captkidd
07-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Don't forget a tour of the U.S.S. Yorktowne aircraft carrier museum (Charleston). O.K., I liked it a lot more than my wife did, but it was really neat seeing a piece of history like that. Makes you appreciate what those guys did just a little more. I'm sure it's a bit touristy, but we liked the California Dreaming restaurant (this was 4 years ago, so it may not be there). Definitely go for carriage ride (good history lesson).

I live just off US220, one of the primary routes for folks traveling to Myrtle Beach from the midwest area. Every weekend there are tons of vehicles (mostly SUVs and minivans) with luggage carriers on top headed to or from MB. This past Saturday I got in some sort of caravan of vehicles headed back to Ohio; it was funny as they all changed lanes together, slowed/accelerated together, etc., and followed each other along. MB really has become a tourist trap in the past 20 years or so, not nearly as fun as it used to be. Of course, we'll probably be making our reservations for a short stay there in late September; there's a lot of fun things to do for families with small children, and by then the crowds have gotten much smaller.

BriEOD
07-11-2005, 09:02 PM
I'm sure it's a bit touristy, but we liked the California Dreaming restaurant (this was 4 years ago, so it may not be there).

Nope, still there and still popular.

captkidd
07-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Of course my wife was still in the first trimester of her pregnancy at the time, so we had a really good meal and then she came outside and threw it all up in the parking lot :( .

BriEOD
07-12-2005, 12:10 PM
That sucks! That place house awesome salads. It's a tad touristy but it's always packed.