PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat shine

ffwade
08-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Anyone out there use a product called "Vertglas" to restore gelcoat? Saw it online and wondered if it was BS.

454Prostar190
08-25-2010, 06:23 PM
No, I haven't but, would like to know if it works. How bad is your gelcoat?

jconover
08-25-2010, 06:27 PM
I used it on an older boat with bad gelcoat deterioration. It brought it up "a level", but no where near the level that a good compounding, buffing, and polishing will. For the price I paid for that kit, I was fairly disappointed - however, it did shine it up enough that i was able to sell the boat for $1500 ('70 glastron with a 115 HP evinrude 900hrs or so)

Skipper
08-25-2010, 08:06 PM
I used it once on an old boat. It helps to deepen the color. But, honestly, you would be better off just giving it a good buffing with 3M Finesse it III. If that doesn't work good enough, then first wet sand with 1000, 1500, and 2000.

ffwade
08-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Not that bad. The black gelcoat on the stern has permanent water spots and is a little faded. The rest of the boat looks great, this is just where the sun always hits it. I will have to remove the decal to accomplish all this. Can you get original decals for a 2000 PS 205? Thanks for the replies!

DeVrieski
08-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Let me know what you find, I have a 2000 PS 205 as well and need to replace the rear stickers and polish out the stern as well. Not sure how to polish around the handle/tow ring!

DeVrieski
08-28-2010, 12:23 AM

Here is a picture of my sticker. The black lines were polished out so it doesn't look quite right. I would like to replace it! Also, the blue faded pretty quickly once it was out in the sun so it needs to be re-polished this winter.

ffwade
10-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Devrieski,
I found a company that makes decals. I posted a picture of my old and new decals. The only difference is it says "ski" instead of "tow". It looks really good and it only cost about $30. www.redlinevynilgraphics.com. I found them on ebay. I searched Mastercraft boat parts-decals.

russlars
10-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Let me know what you find, I have a 2000 PS 205 as well and need to replace the rear stickers and polish out the stern as well. Not sure how to polish around the handle/tow ring!
How did you end up polishing around the handle/tow point on your transom? Is it possible to remove it?

ffwade
10-07-2010, 06:34 PM
I ended up using Meguiar's Fiberglass Restoration kit. It has an oxidation remover, high gloss polish and wax. It worked pretty good, but mine wasn't oxidized that bad. I used a 6" wool buffing pad (you will need several) on a high speed buffer. It is difficult to get around the handles. I was able to do a decent job around them--you can't really notice the difference much from the rest of the transom. I started to take the handles off. They have bolts through the transom and a mounting plate. There is also some sort of epoxy or RTV. I decided against taking them off as I am not sure what type of sealer was used there and I didn't want to take the chance of causing a leak in those areas. Like I said, not real easy but you can make it look pretty good.

supturb89
10-07-2010, 11:05 PM
How did you end up polishing around the handle/tow point on your transom? Is it possible to remove it?

I removed my handle and tie-down points on my 96. Already had the gas tank out so it was fairly easy. I plan on using some silicone caulking in the holes when putting them back in...shouldn't be a problem.