PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Stripes on hull original???

M-Funf
08-24-2010, 02:37 PM
My '76 is in dire need of some buffing. But before I do that, the vinyl stripes above and below the main stripe on the hull are peeling off and look like...well...you know.

There is a white stripe adjacent to the main stripe, and then a red stripe outside that...is this original? If not, what should it be.

Also, where is the best place to buy this material?

TIA...

M-Funf.

h2oskifreak
08-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Just spent 5 hours showing some love (clean and wax) to my 75. My S & S has a red stripe also, but it touches the metal flake. No white shows in between. Mine cleaned up like a dream. Several places it looks like I went back 35 years.

Bellinghamster
08-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Yup, it's supposed to be there. You should be able to pick up vinyl pinstriping on a roll from any auto body supply shop. I've got about 1/2 to 3/4" of space between the vinyl stripes and the metalflake like yours.

Looks like you need the flag shield stickers just like I do. I'm going to try making some with a vinyl cutter, but better would be to have them screen printed.

Luv2Ski
08-25-2010, 10:26 AM
I found a pinstripe removal tool like this one (http://detailgear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=200) is worth its weight in gold. You can find them at a local auto body shop as well, I think I paid about $11 - was not 3M like the one in the link but worked fantastic.

Willski
08-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Hair dryer works pretty well at assisting in vinyl decal removal too.

east tx skier
08-25-2010, 10:58 AM
I did some stripe removal on my boat. Heat gun on low or a hair dryer works well. Watch the stripe as it comes off. If it starts to stretch, take a break because it is too hot and is about to snap. If you can get your heat and pull just right, you can get long strips off in one pull. It's tedious, but relatively easy work to remove it.

M-Funf
08-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Yup, it's supposed to be there. You should be able to pick up vinyl pinstriping on a roll from any auto body supply shop. I've got about 1/2 to 3/4" of space between the vinyl stripes and the metalflake like yours.

Looks like you need the flag shield stickers just like I do. I'm going to try making some with a vinyl cutter, but better would be to have them screen printed.

Thanks, that helps. I've got the flag decals in my drawer waiting to be put on. Just want to get it buffed and waxed before I put them on.

I did some stripe removal on my boat. Heat gun on low or a hair dryer works well. Watch the stripe as it comes off. If it starts to stretch, take a break because it is too hot and is about to snap. If you can get your heat and pull just right, you can get long strips off in one pull. It's tedious, but relatively easy work to remove it.

Good info, ETS. Thanks.

Luv2Ski
08-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Heat gun on low or a hair dryer works well. Watch the stripe as it comes off. If it starts to stretch, take a break because it is too hot and is about to snap. If you can get your heat and pull just right, you can get long strips off in one pull. It's tedious, but relatively easy work to remove it.

I have used heat in the past with success; however, I tried the heat method on my 88 that spent a LOT of time in the sun. It did not work well at all on the stripes, they were really stuck on there and were so deteriorated that they would break even when heated. Try the heat, if it is not easy, get a pinstripe removal tool and stick it in your drill.

americanskierJim
08-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Hello M-Funf,

Here I found the side flag not sure if it the same one but thought I might help you out. It is a Correct Craft Boat sticker but might be that same one that was used on your MC.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150372445965&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=aba1070712a0a0aad2732073fffb32ef&rvr_id=129914598379&ua=WVI8&itemid=150372445965

Bellinghamster
08-26-2010, 01:19 AM
I'd found a couple places that sell them. The closest to the original (gold USA instead of white, square periods instead of round) are at: http://www.shopwhitelake.com/decalusaflag.html for $12.50 ea.

A pair for $20 at http://www.garzonstudio.com/CorrectCraft/correctcraft.html, but it's not an exact match to what I think was original on my boat