PDA

View Full Version : Cheap starter board for a large guy

Boiler_81
08-24-2010, 09:33 AM
I am looking for a starter board. I am 50 and weigh 225 lbs. I want something cheap to give wakeboarding a try. I have no problem buying used from ebay or a new sale item or close out. What should I be looking for?

Willski
08-25-2010, 04:15 PM
I just found a CWB Faze with seven hinge bindings. Touted as a beginner board. I picked it up because I found it at Gander Mtn. half price. Normally 299. What I didn't realize is that it was marked down to 224, then put at half price!! Score! The bindings alone are 189 at Overtons. Comfortable bindings by the way.

Boiler_81
08-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks, I think I will stop by Gander Mtn on the way home.

brettmess24
08-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Call eric at chicago mastercraft he might have a nice used ronix board and bindings. Look for the ronix vault.

brettmess24
08-25-2010, 05:11 PM
I just found a CWB Faze with seven hinge bindings. Touted as a beginner board. I picked it up because I found it at Gander Mtn. half price. Normally 299. What I didn't realize is that it was marked down to 224, then put at half price!! Score! The bindings alone are 189 at Overtons. Comfortable bindings by the way.

Nice score. I have never seen any wakeboards at our local gander mtn wonder if it was an overtons return or sumpin?

CruisinGA
08-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Got my first wakeboard, a Hyperlite 139 at a Bass Pro end of season sale with bindings for about $230.

I broke that first board, but Hyperlite gave me a free replacement (same board) and now I am landing back rolls with it.

itstone55
05-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Hey guys, I know this thread is a little old but it was relevant to my question. I've done quite a bit of searching for info on a beginner wakeboard and it seems the Hyperlite Motive is the preferred recomendation. My problem is that the biggest board I can find is 140cm, and from what I read/hear I need a bigger one than that. I'm around 6'3, 280 and want to make sure what I get is going to work for me. I've skiied and knee boarded plenty but never had a boat to wake board until now. I've been trying to find one that is around 144cm, and maybe that 4cm doesn't make much difference, I just don't really know. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bwatso01
05-10-2011, 04:20 PM
I am 6' and about 215....and I have the Hyperlite State 145 board and boot combo. Good board for me from beginner to intermediate progresssion. You can probably find some on ebay and other places pretty cheap.

chawk610
05-11-2011, 09:08 AM
I m 6ft. 220 and my 141 does great... Make sure the bindings are in good shape... when us big guys go down, we put a lot of stress on the mounting plates! :) I have an O'Brien and snapped the open toe'd bindings almost immediately! LOL... I came out of the water looking like I was wearing spartan sandals! Bindings... no board! lol

kskonn
05-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Hey guys, I know this thread is a little old but it was relevant to my question. I've done quite a bit of searching for info on a beginner wakeboard and it seems the Hyperlite Motive is the preferred recomendation. My problem is that the biggest board I can find is 140cm, and from what I read/hear I need a bigger one than that. I'm around 6'3, 280 and want to make sure what I get is going to work for me. I've skiied and knee boarded plenty but never had a boat to wake board until now. I've been trying to find one that is around 144cm, and maybe that 4cm doesn't make much difference, I just don't really know. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I use a Hyperlite B side, I believe they make that board in a 144, not 100% sure though. It has been a good board for teaching people and you will never advance past the board, a number of pro's ride that board. You can probably pick up a used one or last years model for a pretty decent price.

73blue
05-29-2011, 07:24 AM
Should be ok to start with. I'm 6'4" 280 and rode a 141 for years. Got a 143 now. I'm thinkin of learning to build boards and designing a 150+. I'll let you know if I do (I'm pretty lazy tho, so there's a good chance it never happens)