PDA

View Full Version : Leaking into the ski storage

george111
07-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Hi all you nice people,

I have now figured out what is the problem with my ski storage water problem. 1.) It is poorly designed: in that water flows foward when the boat is flat and goes into the ski locker. 2.) As suggested here by a knowingly full owner it is around the gasket. 3.) I cannot get it dry or oilless because of the boats design.

So, I need some help here. Are there any sealants that could adhere to both wet and oil(which I doubt, but must ask). Or is there a nut that connects the gasket, which holds the plug, which I could remove and caulk? I noticed that I can remove the floor boards behind the locker and see the rear of the locker where the "nut" might be. Maybe I am the "nut" but I am trying to fix this mess, which I believe originates from the packing leaking. But fixing that will not solve the long term problem.
ERGO, I turn to you, O' Wise ones for help.

The mechanically impaired,

George.

AirJunky
07-06-2005, 11:58 PM
I hear ya, George. But the problem with plugging the hole would be the water that does get in there, won't ever get out.

You could get a stainless bolt & nut that would be long enough to go all the way thru the hole. Put stainless & rubber washers on each side, caulk it with RVT silicon & then just tighten it up.

Mag_Red
07-07-2005, 12:52 AM
My ski locker has a plug in it, but I leave it out. I usually keep the bilge on automatic so when ever I plane off, water should drain back to where the pump is located. If you want to plug the hole why not just use a cork???

Crash
07-07-2005, 02:19 AM
I purchased a new plug with a tight fit only to discover the water was seeping in from under the 'dam' or plate between the locker and engine. I removed and recaulked a couple times, last year and again this year, with no success. The oily water eats through the caulk. Thought about a rubber gasket/seal but don't think I could get it tight enough to the hull and side to seal the water out. I was planning on removing the caulk again and fiberglass it in place unless anyone else has any other suggestions. :confused:

For now, only store the crappy skiis in there because of oily residue.

SDmc205
07-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Thats not a ski locker, its a location for a fat sack. :D Who cares if that plastic bag gets oily

I could see how it would be annoying that your skis were all grimy. I cleaned mine up pretty good with a biodegradable cleaner (Blastoff used by the NAvy on aircraft carriers) and blasted the whole locker out with water. Still a little greasy but much better.

Crash
06-14-2006, 02:23 PM
I may have found a solution to keeping the ski well dry. First removed the dam between engine compartment and ski well, cleaned it up real good, then "recaulked" it with an automotive gasket sealant.

Its been 3 months and the well is still dry! If stays dry I'll cross that off my pet peeve list. :)

east tx skier
06-14-2006, 02:54 PM
I thought that was a live well for fishing.

I take the shop vac to mine once a season and it stays totally dry for months (the winter months). ;)

jimmer2880
06-15-2006, 06:52 AM
I may have found a solution to keeping the ski well dry. First removed the dam between engine compartment and ski well, cleaned it up real good, then "recaulked" it with an automotive gasket sealant.

Its been 3 months and the well is still dry! If stays dry I'll cross that off my pet peeve list. :)

Did you caulk the whole shut, or just around the gromlet? I really need to do this to mine, but haven't figured out if I want to just "glass it in", or use some caulk.

Farmer Ted
06-15-2006, 09:19 AM
If you need a plug, go buy a nice bottle of wine with a real cork in it.

Drink wine

whittle the cork down until it fits snug in the hole

BTDTGTS

Crash
06-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Did you caulk the whole shut, or just around the gromlet? I really need to do this to mine, but haven't figured out if I want to just "glass it in", or use some caulk.
I left the hole through and plugged with a rubber plug, just in case....

But that fiberglass wall the hole is in was screwed to the boat hull and the seal around it was caulked. But the caulk had deteriated from the oily-water from the engine compartment and was continuously leaking. Until I used the gasket caulk which doesn't deteriate from petroleum products.

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Crash, can we get some pictures of exactly where you caulked it. I know where the plug hole is, but I was under the impression that the wall between the ski locker and the bilge was not the problem. Is it removeable? I'd love to actually be able to use the locker for skis.

BIGBADBLUE
06-15-2006, 01:29 PM
I may try the gasket caulk but I just keep some old ombo down there. If anyone wants to combo they need to deal with the slimey bindings!!!

Crash
06-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Pic...check back tomorrow.

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks, Crash.

Diesel
06-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Crash, can we get some pictures of exactly where you caulked it. I know where the plug hole is, but I was under the impression that the wall between the ski locker and the bilge was not the problem. Is it removeable? I'd love to actually be able to use the locker for skis.

I cannot pictue this either. On my 205 the ski locker was all once unit and was molded in the floor. There was nothing that was removeable between the engine compartment and the ski locker. :confused: It did however have a useless drain hole with a plug that connected the bilge to the ski locker.

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 04:28 PM
I cannot pictue this either. On my 205 the ski locker was all once unit and was molded in the floor. There was nothing that was removeable between the engine compartment and the ski locker. :confused: It did however have a useless drain hole with a plug that connected the bilge to the ski locker.

That's what I'm picturing, too. That drain hole is only useful if the trailer jack is extended all the way. At that point, it's easier to just move in with the shop vac and some towels.

jimmer2880
06-16-2006, 01:16 PM
I left the hole through and plugged with a rubber plug, just in case....

But that fiberglass wall the hole is in was screwed to the boat hull and the seal around it was caulked. But the caulk had deteriated from the oily-water from the engine compartment and was continuously leaking. Until I used the gasket caulk which doesn't deteriate from petroleum products.

Ohh.. Ok. I believe my "cooler" is molded in place. But, the plastic gromlet that the plug inserts into isn't sealed at all. So, even though I have the hole pluged, water comes in around the gromlet.

I think I'll be cutting that gromlet off this weekend & grab a couple larger bottles of wine :)

Crash
06-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Sorry I'm a little late with the pics. Back was too sore to move yesterday. If you look REALLY hard, you can see (unbeknownst to me) that there is water in the engine compartment, but the ski locker is still dry!

Footin
06-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Mine use to leak into the locker pretty bad. I use RTV sealent and it has helped alot, but some water still gets in.

I might mix up some fiberglass resin, with a little extra hardner and brush it on the seams and around the plug area. Maybe a project for next winter.

pram
05-14-2012, 02:29 PM
I did this exact fix on the weekend as I was getting water in my ski locker.

I sealed it all so hopefully that is the end of the issue that I was having with water accumulating in there

CantRepeat
05-14-2012, 02:32 PM
A six year necro post!!!! lol

pram
05-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Necro? Dead? Rapper?

amazing what a person can find when they do some searching

CantRepeat
05-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Necro? Dead? Rapper?

amazing what a person can find when they do some searching

lol, what is this searching you speak of? :D

pram
05-14-2012, 04:02 PM
I use google to search this site then you are not restricted to words with more than 3 letters

site:mastercraft.com water in ski locker (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Amastercraft.com+water+in+ski+locker)