PDA

View Full Version : relay burned up!!! What is it controlling?

413rider
08-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Hello everyone I'm hoping someone can help me out. I was on vacation this week and had to cut it short due to my 2002 x30 with the LTR engine had died. I was cruising when all of a sudden my engine began to lose power and then just quit on me. I opened the engine compartment to find a bad electrical smell and seen some smoke coming out of a small black relay mounted underneath a metal bracket. There are three relays mounted in a row this one is closest to the starboard side. It also burned up the socket too. Any advice would be much appreciated, Thanks so much!...

mtajpa
08-23-2010, 07:42 PM
I have a 230 Maristar with an LTR but mine only has 2 Relays one for the fuel pump and the other for ecm/inj. I do have 3 fuses in the same location. The harness are marked with a white label with black lettering on them. Attached a diagram that may help if you electrically inclined. Hope this helps.

413rider
08-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Thanks mtajpa I will take a look for any labeling and see if those schematics will help me out. BTW where did you acquire wiring schematics for your boat? Also I was wondering do you possibly have the third relay and you just don't see it, cause at first i thought i only had two relays located there, but when i reached underneath that bracket i felt another relay, and you can't see it or the plastic retainer pushed into the bracket to hold the relay. Thanks a lot for your reply. Now I got something to start with.

mtajpa
08-24-2010, 10:10 PM
I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know at least how mine is laid out. I called Indmar and the sent me that diagram.

JimN
08-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks mtajpa I will take a look for any labeling and see if those schematics will help me out. BTW where did you acquire wiring schematics for your boat? Also I was wondering do you possibly have the third relay and you just don't see it, cause at first i thought i only had two relays located there, but when i reached underneath that bracket i felt another relay, and you can't see it or the plastic retainer pushed into the bracket to hold the relay. Thanks a lot for your reply. Now I got something to start with.

What color are the wires going to that relay? If it burned up, you have a problem that a new relay won't fix- those handle 30 Amps, continuous load. Make sure your grounds are perfect, you have no loose battery or starter connections and you don't have any pinched wires, like the ones going to the fuel pump. The rest of the wires to/from the other relays are on the motor.

mtajpa
08-25-2010, 08:30 PM
I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know at least how mine is laid out. I called Indmar and the sent me that diagram.

Mine only has 2 relays on top in the picture and the 50 amp circuit breaker and starter relay below. Hope this helps.