PDA

View Full Version : weird discoloration on interior

alyon
08-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I have a 2006 X1 and the rear compartment covers began to get a little bit pink. After a couple of months it has turned into black spots. It is coverd and docked on a clean fresh water lake. I have tried everything to clean it and it works for a while, but the next time I come out to the boat it is back. The sun also helps. Whats going on???

Sodar
08-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Mildew in the vinyl.

alyon
08-23-2010, 03:05 PM
do I need to replace the vinyl or just let it dry out?

vision
08-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Clean, 303 protect, and make sure the vinyl stays dry, if you can, when the cover is on. Is it happening where the cover contacts the sunpad? Is the same problem present around your seat bottoms? Some folks place fans under their boat cover to keep moisture levels down.

wtrskr
08-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Starbrite makes a mold/mildew product for vinyl. Spray some of that on it, wipe it off, and it should dissapear in a few minutes.

When I purchased my boat it had a large black spot in the vinyl. The previous owner said he tried all kinds of stuff and couldn't get rid of it. I nailed it with some mildew product and took care of it.

alyon
08-23-2010, 03:31 PM
I have tried Sunbrite and 303 after each use (2-3 times per week). 303 does nothing and Sunbrite helps, but the next day it is back. It is on the rear pads only where the cover touches it. Is the cover part of the problem? Our dock does not have power so no fans for me. I guess that I will have to pull it out and let it dry?

TX.X-30 fan
08-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Mildew in the vinyl.

I believe there is a great thread on here that goes into quite some detail on the pink seat issues....................:D:D

TX.X-30 fan
08-23-2010, 05:15 PM
I believe there is a great thread on here that goes into quite some detail on the pink seat issues....................:D:D

Well it seems ol' 02lightnings thread was locked a while back.......................

Whatever happened to 02lightning he had such a great start here...............:D:D

vision
08-23-2010, 05:20 PM
I have tried Sunbrite and 303 after each use (2-3 times per week). 303 does nothing and Sunbrite helps, but the next day it is back. It is on the rear pads only where the cover touches it. Is the cover part of the problem? Our dock does not have power so no fans for me. I guess that I will have to pull it out and let it dry?

You want to avoid covering it when it is wet. Some folks have added to their cover poles trying to decrease contact with the vinyl. They make some nice battery powered fans and with an inexpensive solar panel to charge an extra battery, you may still be able to decrease the moisture.

Either way the key is to prevent trapping moisture against the vinyl for days to weeks on end when it is warm out.

kageygayle
08-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Alyon,
I'm here in Ca also. I recently cleaned and detailed my boat, let it dry out a few days and put the cover on it. I took the cover off to find a horrible pink stain running along the top of the rear seat and front of the bow where the cover sits. I called MC in Tennesee and they said it's something in the vinyl that sometimes comes to the surface (almost like a sunburned look). They said they've done research to find that it can get up to 180 degrees under the covers. They've seen other instances and it's not only on MC boats. He had me send photos to my nearest MC dealer who in turned filed a claim w/MC and they are shipping me brand new skins. Others have recommended using props to hold the cover off any vinyl. Hope this helps.