PDA

View Full Version : Floor board screw holes stripped

kbarnhart
08-23-2010, 10:48 AM
I just bought a 1998 Prostar 190 30th Anniversary Edition and looks like the small floor board piece that holds the motor box has been pulled out and reinstalled in a couple locations - each now stripped out. I would like to remove the floor board and fill all the stripped out holes and redrill in the original correct position. My question is what should I fill the holes with? I've looked and found some "marine epoxy" but want to make sure I fill with the most appropriate resin/epoxy/?? since this seems to be a high stress area.

mayo93prostar
08-23-2010, 11:38 AM
I had similar problem in my 93 prostar and I used Marine-tex white epoxy, filled the holes, re-drilled and it worked very well. it sets up pretty fast. you may want to drill the holes out a little before filling to clean out old stuff.

flipper
08-23-2010, 11:41 AM
X2 on the marine tex, that stuff works great

kbarnhart
08-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Great advice - shopping now for Marine Tex White! Is 2 oz. enough or should I go for more? I need to fill 8 screw holes - 2" deep.

Thanks!

kbarnhart
08-26-2010, 11:18 AM
When I went to drill out the screw holes to prep for the marine-tex, it seemed very soft. It seems like below the thin black fiberglass coating it's like foam - is this correct?

jconover
08-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Ummm. are you talking about the floorboard (9/16" material?) or what the floorboard screws into?

kbarnhart
08-26-2010, 03:02 PM
This is the stringer that has the stripped out screw holes. The floorboard itself is metal.

jconover
08-26-2010, 03:35 PM
OK - photo of mine. Screws go through metal hinges and then into floorboard. floorboard pulls out with engine cover by removing back seat and lifting entire floorboard/box assembly out. Prior owner had moved the screws on mine as well. On my boat, these screws go directly into the floorboard and stop there, not into the stringers.

That said, your stringers should be all glass....

Sorry I should have moved the carpet to show the screws, but that's the floorboard there, where the carpet is cut out

kbarnhart
08-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Mine is the same except the floor board piece is only about 8 inches long and secured to the stringers with 4 screws, which are the ones which have pulled out and stripped. And I thought, like you, that the stringers should be all glass. I think the floor board screws have been stripped out so much that the stringers were previously filled with some kind of foam. I dug out a good bit of the foam and filled with Marine-Tex. I will sand and drill today and see how that goes.