PDA

View Full Version : Replacement of '98 ProStar 205 "Sundeck"

dirtk38
08-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum, and if all goes well, I'll be buying my first MasterCraft next weekend! The boat looks great, except for one thing: the piece of trim/upholstery that covers the small "sundeck" is missing and will have to be replaced.

The seller said a local upholstery shop quoted him $200 to replace it. They recently redid all of the seats and it looks very good, so I will probably use them if possible. The problem is, I am not sure what the stitching/stripes are supposed to look like on this piece. I'm struggling to find a good picture of this part of the boat, especially because this boat is a Sammy Duvall edition. Can anyone help me out with some good pics that I can show to the upholsterer? Any other tips for the replacement of this piece?

I'm also curious how this piece is supposed to attach (e.g. is it supposed to be removed easily or is it "permanent"), so any special tips/instructions I should give the upholsterer would also be appreciated. I attached a picture that shows where the missing piece is. Thanks!

coz
08-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum, and if all goes well, I'll be buying my first MasterCraft next weekend! The boat looks great, except for one thing: the piece of trim/upholstery that covers the small "sundeck" is missing and will have to be replaced.

The seller said a local upholstery shop quoted him $200 to replace it. They recently redid all of the seats and it looks very good, so I will probably use them if possible. The problem is, I am not sure what the stitching/stripes are supposed to look like on this piece. I'm struggling to find a good picture of this part of the boat, especially because this boat is a Sammy Duvall edition. Can anyone help me out with some good pics that I can show to the upholsterer? Any other tips for the replacement of this piece?

I'm also curious how this piece is supposed to attach (e.g. is it supposed to be removed easily or is it "permanent"), so any special tips/instructions I should give the upholsterer would also be appreciated. I attached a picture that shows where the missing piece is. Thanks!

They're supposed to be removable so you can get at the back seat nuts and fuel sender. The 2 rectangle holes are where the rubber stoppers go and the rear square ones are where the 2 l-brackets go. The back seat stripe colors are supposed to carry over the sunpad. I lost mine on the freeway a couple years ago and made my own but I didn't carry the color over because it was black and I live in Az where everything is about 200 degrees.

dirtk38
08-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Nicely done. Do you have a pic of the underside of the piece?

beef
08-23-2010, 01:09 PM
I lost mine earlier this year and had one remade for about $250. I chose to eliminate the stripe too, due to the difficulty in matching the color and pattern. Since my original blew out while trailering, I screwed down the replacement from underneath

Here's a pic of the factory sunpad. (and yes, that water was cold! April 1st, prob in the low 40's)

dirtk38
08-29-2010, 01:13 AM
So, I officially purchased and brought home the 205 today (woo!), and the previous owner was kind enough to have a local upholstery shop redo the sunpad for me. However, I noticed one thing that might be a problem: The shop extended the cutouts around the towing eye so that the vents are exposed. I'm sure they thought this was how it should be...but of course the factory pad covers these up. If/when water drips into these vents, will it just fall into the bilge? If so, I'm thinking that wouldnt be so bad...or at least not worth redoing the piece. Anyone disagree?

east tx skier
08-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Those are the blower vents. I don't think you want water in them since they are connected to a hose that goes to the front of the bilge and the blower, but if the water intake is slight, it might evaporate from the heat in the bilge before it's a problem.

dirtk38
05-02-2011, 06:50 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but my replacement flew off while trailering this weekend, so I've got to replace this piece again (less than a year later). I'm almost glad it happened since the piece I had wasn't made correctly (see posts above), and now I have excuse to get it done right. The previous replacement piece was bolted into the fiberglass by an upholstery shop instead of attaching how it was supposed to. So, I'm back to trying to figure out how exactly this piece is supposed to attach. Coz gave a nice description with words, but I was curious if anyone has a picture so I can be sure I'm visualizing this correctly?

TEAL98
05-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Subscribed, I've been putting mine off for a while, close to calling Jim and shipping mine off very soon. Interested to see how the rest of this turns out :)

coz
05-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Coz gave a nice description with words, but I was curious if anyone has a picture so I can be sure I'm visualizing this correctly?

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/P4050001.jpg

dirtk38
05-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Subscribed, I've been putting mine off for a while, close to calling Jim and shipping mine off very soon. Interested to see how the rest of this turns out :)

Yup, I put in an order with Jim for the new skin. I plan to build my own base and then put the skin on when it arrives. I also think I may end up just bolting the new in instead of messing with the studs/clips like the original pad had. Too many stories of people having problems with theirs flying off while trailering. I'll post pics when I make some progress.

Thanks for the followup pic, Coz! You don't happen to have the measurements from when you rebuilt your base, do you? Might save me a trip to the boat.

97Sammy
05-10-2011, 07:40 AM
I just replaced the vinyl on a 97' Sammy. It didn't have the brackets to hold it down. It was actually bolted.

rslong50
05-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Can anybody help out with the the bench seat for a 98 Prostar 205? Mine was re-upholstered before I bought it and now it falls to the floor when you sit on it. So apparently it was redone to tight or something. Has anyone dealt with this and if so what did you do? Thanks!