PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water impeller ruined the maiden voyage!

ECVBob
08-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Last weekend I drove 1200 miles to pick up my new 1983 Blue S&S. I got it and my tow vehicle, a 1987 Bronco, home in one piece. I waited all week to launch this morning. The weather was better than the forecast, which here in the Seattle area is always a bonus. Once on the water I idled out of the 8 knot zone and slowly opened her up. We got up on a plane she sounded sweet and finally I was driving my new boat! Thats when I checked the gauges and saw the temp climbing. Anyway to make a all to common story short I turned around and headed back. I found out the freshwater impeller was shredded. After a trip to the boatshop and napa auto parts and an hour on the phone I discovered the wasn't an impeller to be had today.

Its a sherwood pump on a 1983 MasterCraft with a 351 PCM engine. I can't find a model number for the pump or impeller. Any idea where I can order this part from or what the impeller part number might be?

I'll tell you that 5 minutes of cruising sure was fun!:D

russlars
08-22-2010, 01:00 AM
I can't tell you what you need, but I'm sure that these folks can: http://www.skidim.com/
Give them a call and they will get you fixed up.

dtc
08-22-2010, 01:11 AM
x2 ... SkiDim is your friend. Have them send you a catalogue too ... great diagrams to help out.

Bellinghamster
08-22-2010, 02:25 AM
Any marine supply store (Fisheries Supply, West Marine, etc.) will have them on the shelf.

Your pump is most likely a Sherwood G21 and uses a 09559K impeller kit (impeller + gasket).

oldairboater
08-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Pay attention to what you do. My impeller has a front and a back and can go in backwards. There are numerous threads on here of Sherwood's not being put in or back right causing problems. Order two impellers. On in the boat as a spare and one new one in the pump. I will be changing out an impeller every year whether it needs it or not as others have recommended. Just another important maintenance item like fluid and filter changes.

ski_king
08-22-2010, 09:47 AM
If you know anybody who has an older MasterCraft or even a Correct craft with the PCM engine, chance are they have a spare used one. I always keep a couple of ones used one season in the boat have helped out someone several times.

As oldairboater, pay attention to the direction the pump is mounted.

Cloaked
08-22-2010, 10:39 AM
I found out the freshwater impeller was shredded.

Order from the previously mentioned boat shop. Best place in the country for parts and service.

A few tips if I may:?
Replacing it is easy enough.

Figure out what made the impeller fail. One place to look is to make sure the transmission cooler is unobstructed. Take the top hose off and look in there.

Figure out where the shredded pieces went. They may have washed through, or there may be pieces still in the coolant pathway.

That said, order two thermostat housing gaskets, becasue you'll want to disassemble that housing to look for pieces of the old impeller. The old gasket will leak upon reassembly. Clean both surfaces right down to the clean metal before reassembly.

Also, if you even think you'll need to remove a hose, order new hoses. The old hoses become unmanageable from being on there for years. To save a headache, cut off the old hose and just put on new ones. Get Skidim to cut them for you (you'll need to measure carefully) before they ship. And new hoses look nice.

Order a new impeller kit (which provides a new o-ring as well). It's for the Sherwood component. Skidim can direct you to the right part.

While ordering, if the budget allows, get a new electronic ignition conversion kit. Best $150 you can spend on the boat (aside from the replacement for the shredded impeller :D). However it may already have one, so look for points (or none).

Before you call Skidim, determine if your distributor cap has screws or clips for holding the cap in place.

CantRepeat
08-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Always have a spare. I have 3 or 4 of them in the shop just in case. Like a lot of people I also invested in a spare prop. Nothing like a long 4 day weekend to be ruined by parts.

ECVBob
08-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Hey thanx for the good advice and part numbers. I check at both Fisheries supply and West marine.... to my surpise also neither had them in stock. I will be calling skidmin tomorrow.

As for the paying attention to the pump removal ...to late I pulled it out while on the water a didn't even think about marking it even after reading threads that tell to do so. Any help on that ..pictures .... would be awsome

Thank you all again! Great Forum:cool:

Cloaked
08-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Hey thanx for the good advice and part numbers. I check at both Fisheries supply and West marine.... to my surpise also neither had them in stock. I will be calling skidmin tomorrow.

As for the paying attention to the pump removal ...to late I pulled it out while on the water a didn't even think about marking it even after reading threads that tell to do so. Any help on that ..pictures .... would be awsome

Thank you all again! Great Forum:cool:Don't waste your time at the dime store retails.

If you call early tomorrow, skidim will have the parts out tomorrow.