PDA

View Full Version : Gel coat gouges! What to do?

Herc59
08-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Here are some pics of my boat hull and a spot on the port side where the PO placed a fire extingusher braket. The hull damage is also from the PO, I think mybe his bunks failed when loading the boat, but not sure. Can I fix these myself? If so how?

Skipper
08-21-2010, 08:22 PM
That gouge in the bow needs to be ground down to the bare glass, repair the glass, then gelcote. At least you have a fire extinguisher on the trailer in case of, I don't know why the heck you would have a fire extinguisher on the trailer.

Herc59
08-21-2010, 09:11 PM
The extingusher braket is inside the boat, the PO put a screw through the hull out the side of the boat.

turn1andburn1
08-21-2010, 09:23 PM
The extingusher braket is inside the boat, the PO put a screw through the hull out the side of the boat.

Wow!:confused:

TX.X-30 fan
08-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Yhat trailer looks wrong for your boat, the bow damage is from the the trailer??

coz
08-21-2010, 09:31 PM
I would seriously get those 2X4 bunks laying flat, that's putting some serious stress on that hull, not good.

babymoore3
08-23-2010, 07:06 PM
This is identical to the tandem trailer I have on a 1988 tristar. According to a figure I found on the MC website (not sure where now) you need 250 in^2 surface area. 250/1.5"wide/4 bunks = 42" per bunk. Front rear of the boat to in front of the axles is about 4 feet. Technically your good and that is how it was sold from Mastercraft I understand. I thought about flipping them down as well but unless you are modifying the trailer anyway it is a lot of work for not so much benefit.

Dylan
08-23-2010, 07:22 PM
I would seriously get those 2X4 bunks laying flat, that's putting some serious stress on that hull, not good.

Agreed. Looks like they are pressing to the side as well from the V of the hull. I would at least check them for slop when the boat is unloaded. Actually, it's a great idea to do that every once in a while. On my previous trailer the bunks would routinely loosen up or shift.

Thrall
08-23-2010, 08:44 PM
None of that damage looks too bad except for being under the boat makes it more difficult to access. There's several threads on here in Appearance about gelcoat repair. It's fairly simple if you have any bodywork abilities.
Order the materials from Spectrum Color.
Here's a pic of a repair I made, was down to 'glass in several areas, big scratch. Painted the gel on as it wasn't a big enough area to spray (neither is yours from the looks of it). Sanding by hand/orbital. Rotary polisher to shine it back up.

psychobilly
08-27-2010, 03:52 PM
I had the same issue I just fixed on my 240SC. I did like others said, 80 grit, orbital sander. I buffed it down just to rough it up and smooth out the cracked gel coat. I used some fiberglass bondo and then again sanded it smooth. I then installed a 3M keel guard. Maybe not for some people but I like it and it covered up my patch job.

The culprit was worn out rollers. The rollers failed and the keel rubbed on the trailer... It was like that when I scored the boat so what can I say. I scored the boat a great deal and the trailer needed the most attention. I have spent about a lil over a grand on teh trailer and I still need another 500 in to it for the plastic bunk boards I'm going to install. Then it should be tip top shape.

Check them rollers man.

Oh and I forgot to say I did half the first day, up to the first set of rollers. After I completed that, sanding and all, I took it down to the boat ramp and slid it off the trailer about a foot or so. Now I aint far from my boat ramp to my storage so I don't recommend towing it very far like this as it will stress the boat and the trailer. I then completed the part behind the front rollers and then installed the 3m Keel Guard.

hope this helps, it's easy. If you've never used fiberglass bodo and your punking yourself out so to speak, do you a few test pieces on some plywood. easy man, really

psychobilly
09-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Pics for above post