PDA

View Full Version : I'm Back

NeilM
08-23-2004, 12:00 AM
Well, I'm back from 3 weeks vacation in the BC interior. You guys have been busy -- 23 PAGES of unread TOPICS, some of which have dozens of posts, to read thru... it's gonna be a long time before I get caught up.

Brian - any day now?
Andre - survived your 4 weeks?
Doug - still the man - leadin the way.
Lakes Rick - still keeping smiles on everyone's faces?
MarkP - I assume you got some great skiing in this summer?
JimN - still the mystery man
(too many members to mention - sorry)

I'll try to get caught up over the next couple of weeks - talk about prolific - nothing like last year...

- - - - - - - - -

We had a great 3 weeks - total of two and a half days of rain -- only two and a half days where temps dropped into the high 70's from the 90's...

Some stuff that might be of interest:

- Doug, I ended up buying a 68" Mapple - it's a little too much ski for me, but my son's improvement was amazing once he had a few sets on it. I'm sure I'll get used to it - it sure is 'twitchy'..

- I also gave up on the 'CIPA Extreme' mirror - broke down and bought the MasterCraft Tower mount & mirror - the 'Extreme' was always in the way of the Walk-through

- dealer installed Stainless Steel inserts ("keenserts") in the threads for the tower mounts - risk of cross-threading greatly reduced.

- replaced two ballast pumps under warranty - new ones seem to work better.
- except for the 2.5 days of rain, we burned 20 - 30 gallons a day:eek3: . Marina was still charging $105.9 / litre [bandits!] for marine 91 Octane, so I filled up from jerry cans for $0.825 / litre - saving me $30 per fillup

- I still have 12 of the 27 warranty items outstanding, so I'm gonna take it back to the dealer at the end of the season to get them finished. The weather was just too good to give the boat up for several days.

- Wakesurfing is a great pasttime when the water gets too choppy for skiing or wakeboarding. I couldn't believe how many people I saw wakesurfing behind I/O's :eek: All of us (wife, son, daughter, self) managed to toss in the handle and surf for at least some distance.

- Upgraded the stereo to the Clarion XMD3 - it has aux inputs and does a way better job of playing burned CD's than the XMD1 that was in it before. It also has an LCD display (instead of LED) so you can read it in sunlight

- If you've been following my thread on MyMasterCraft, you'll note that the re-location of thepaddlewheel hasn't been without problems... I'm pushing the dealer to move it again.

- 3 weeks in 80-degree water sure puts a green scum on the boat.. This is the first time I've left a boat in the water for the full 3 weeks without taking it out for a couple of scrubdowns.. My old faithful cleaners didn't work - I'm gonna look through the forums for what you guys use.

- The bimini was a lifesaver - no way I could have spent as much time on the water (even with SPF 30) without it.

- We put 88 hours on the boat in 3 weeks! - almost double what I usually put on in a whole season (season is short here).

- Witnessed zero accidents on the water this year, although we did get into a fist-shaking and name-calling exercise with a couple of brain-dead Sea Doo owners who were jumping the wake while I was wakeboarding (I suck at it and fall a lot - I would have got run over)

- This was my first full vacation with a MasterCraft (bought it nearly at season's end last year). I only wish I would have bought one years ago.:toast:

sully
08-23-2004, 12:10 AM
Neil,
Welcome Back, we just back from a week of vacation also, tons of fun. We had a minor prop problem putting her in the water :( , glad we had a spare!
But more important I'm back skiing again after a three month hiatus :woohoo: .

lakes Rick
08-23-2004, 12:11 AM
OK OK Now shut up and put some pics on the "bathing suit " thread.......

NeilM
08-23-2004, 12:13 AM
Geez Rick, my kids keep telling me I don't look too good in my speedo..:o

BriEOD
08-23-2004, 07:15 AM
Hey Neil,

Sounds like you guys had a terrific vacation. Did you stay in the camper for 3 weeks? 88 hours on the boat that is awesome! I'm not sure what to tell you about the scum line. Becareful though you don't want to hurt the gel coat. Yes, we're getting really close with the baby. Anytime now is right. However if she doesn't having it by 2 Sept they're going to induce her. Thanks for asking.

T Scott
08-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Neil,
I have been using "SNo-Bowl" Liquid (not the gell stuff!!) for years to remove stains from the bottom of my boat. Works great and is very inexpensive. Just put it in a spray bottle, spray it on, wait about 10 minutes and rinse. You'll be amazed at what $1.89 worth of toilet bowl cleaner can do.

Tom

John B
08-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Neil,
I have been using "SNo-Bowl" Liquid (not the gell stuff!!) for years to remove stains from the bottom of my boat. Works great and is very inexpensive. Just put it in a spray bottle, spray it on, wait about 10 minutes and rinse. You'll be amazed at what $1.89 worth of toilet bowl cleaner can do.

T Scott what does it do to the paint on your trailer?? :confused:

Leroy
08-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Great vacation story Neil! Sounds like you had a great one! Will be looking for some pix from the adventure!

The new message board is great, seems to be even more messages and people joining, I'm worried about this winter when people really get time on their hands!

NeilM
08-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Brian, yup, three weeks in the trailer, about 200 yards from the waterfront. Keep us posted... have you started a pool for birthweight, birthdate / time, and sex (of the newborn, I mean!)?
Tom, thanks - I tried "Toilet Duck", but it's not aggressive enough - I'll look for Sno-Bowl.

Sully, glad to hear you're back at it. Somehow, we managed to survive all 3 weeks with no prop damage. My wife took a nasty tumble - foot came out of the rear toe plate on a cut and she did the splits real bad (damaged the hamstring) and will take several weeks to mend - hopefully in time for the Victoria Marathon in October.

Leroy, you're right - I still gotta work for a living and this board consumes a lot of time (albeit, for the most part, 'time well spent')...

east tx skier
08-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Welcome back, Neil! Sounds like a great vacation. What you said about the Mapple is why I'm on a CDX. I've since been told that you can improve your experience on it by tweeking the fin quite a bit. Glad your son likes it though. "Twitchy" ... my thoughts exactly. Glad to have you back.

jimmer2880
08-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Before I had a lift, my boat would be in for 1 week at a time. I used Slimey Grimey. It's a powder mix. If it's not GREEN - it'll take it off slick. for some reason - won't touch anything Green though.... Darkest brown, no problem - green - keep looking. If you get some - be sure to use hot water. I would actually boil a gallon of water, then mix it up & use a garden sprayer to apply. Light brushing & rinse. The fumes may burn your eyes a bit if you get too close though.

glad to see you're back & made it out alive. I'm right there with you on the jet-skiers following too close while skiing/boarding. I think I need to invest in a paint-ball gun :D

BriEOD
08-23-2004, 02:14 PM
Wow Neil that sounds awesome!

No I haven't messed with the pool thing. We know it's a boy and she will most likely be induced on the 2nd if she doesn't have it before hand. Her actual date is the 7th. However our last munchkin was 9lb 7 oz...big! The pool for sex, well that might be interesting. :cool:

BriEOD
08-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Oh BTW forgot to add that MarkP "The Godfather" (Old School) has volunteered for diaper duty. :woohoo:

Knoxes
08-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Neil - are you a runner, too. Is this her first mary?

André
08-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Neil
Star brite hull cleaner is really good stuff.Had 5 weeks of vacations and did ski a lot.Weather wasn,t really nice here this summer...Glad you had some nice weather on your side!

I'll jump in on Brian sex pool...I say 4 months before he have some! :uglyhamme

BriEOD
08-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Holy cow Andre! :eek: I hope it's not that long!!!!

NeilM
08-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Geez Brian, I was gonna come down to SC to keep the gas in your MC from getting old while you're off on diaper duty, (when André and I are in snow up to our eyeballs) but if MarkP has volunteered for 'the duty', well hell, you got it made...;)

André, you're on... I'll go with 12 weeks.. (Sorry Brian)8p

Knoxes - well, sorta. I've done at least twenty 10K events since I quit smoking in 1999; tore a medial meniscus in the left knee last year, but have run two half-marathons, two 10K's, and Bloomsday so far this year. HOWEVER, none of the course speed records are at risk. This will be my wife's first marathon, my daughter's third. They decided it should be a 'girls weekend away', so I agreed.

Biggest problem with the knee injury last year was that slalom hurt a fair bit, wakeboarding was absolutely impossible due to pain.. I was fairly worried that I would have to give them up. Fortunately, the surgery went well -- I'm getting the strength back for slalom and wear a knee brace on the wakeboard..

bradamerry
08-23-2004, 10:21 PM
I got by with 6 weeks and 2 days. So I'll go with 8 weeks. Good luck Brian!!!!

Farmer Ted
08-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Two weeks and he'll be "oiling the teak"

BriEOD
08-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks Tim...LOL

Farmer Ted
08-23-2004, 11:12 PM
:banana: Do we need to start calling you Mr. Hand? :banana:

Git-R-Done!!!