PDA

View Full Version : New owner of 1983 S&S with some questions

ECVBob
08-18-2010, 11:07 PM
I just brought home my very own 1983 Stars and Stripes Sunday. As you can see from the pictures I have a lot of work to do but I live in the Seattle Washington area with only a few weeks of Summer left so I'm going to have some fun while the weather is good.

Question 1: Wheres the horn switch?
Question 2: What are all these switches at the right of the steering wheel? As you can see from the picture some one painted the original dash.
Question 3: The exterior is badly oxidized, is there a quick way to bring the shine back even just a bit?

Great forum here! I have spent a lot of time just reading.

Thanks Every one,

Bob

east tx skier
08-18-2010, 11:42 PM
On your last question, a good rubbing or polishing compound and buffing will help. May need a good wet sanding step by step to bring it all the way back.

Not familiar enough with the boat to answer the rest of the questions. One is your nav lights, assume the others are accessories or courtesy lights, maybe a blower in there somewhere.

Welcome.

Bert
08-18-2010, 11:53 PM
I just brought home my very own 1983 Stars and Stripes Sunday. As you can see from the pictures I have a lot of work to do but I live in the Seattle Washington area with only a few weeks of Summer left so I'm going to have some fun while the weather is good.

Question 1: Wheres the horn switch?
Question 2: What are all these switches at the right of the steering wheel? As you can see from the picture some one painted the original dash.
Question 3: The exterior is badly oxidized, is there a quick way to bring the shine back even just a bit?

Great forum here! I have spent a lot of time just reading.

Thanks Every one,

Bob
Should be a button around those switches.
Switches are for nav lights, accessories, blower etc.
Good polishing and or compounding.

Very cool boat, looks to be in great shape.

tph
08-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Great boat! I'm partial to that color combo. Does it have the fiberglass stringers?

The switches are Blower, Pump, Auto(pump), Nav(lights), Anchor(light) Top to bottom.
The horn is on the left side of the dash. The finish should come back with some rubbing compound, though the clear over the flakes can break down.

Willski
08-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Congrats...I just traded my 84 that I had for 13 years. No complaints about that boat, just needed more space for my kids. If she is sound, you can make that thing look nice and enjoy!!

Wired_Right
08-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Congrats. Awesome boat

Switches from Top to Bottom labeled as factory
Blower. ( rear exhaust blower )
Pump ( Bilge pump )
Auto ( turn bilge to run auto if left in water )
Nav ( front navigation lights )
Anchor ( rear anchor light on top rear stern. Right side )

ECVBob
08-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Thank you for the help! I'm hoping to launch it Saturday and see what all the fuss about MasterCrafts is all about! I can't wait.:cool:

I don't know about the stringer yet, I haven't looked but this winter I plan on redoing the interior and seeing if I can bring back the exterior. Motor looks like it was repainted not to many hours ago, hopefully it is sound.

03geetee
08-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Thank you for the help! I'm hoping to launch it Saturday and see what all the fuss about MasterCrafts is all about! I can't wait.:cool:

I don't know about the stringer yet, I haven't looked but this winter I plan on redoing the interior and seeing if I can bring back the exterior. Motor looks like it was repainted not to many hours ago, hopefully it is sound.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/006-1.jpg

Just grabbed an 83 too! Fiberglass stringers are easy to spot just pop the motor cover and see what she is bolted too. If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for it? I love to see people like us still buying these unique older quality boats!

Good luck!

JTR

ECVBob
08-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Nice JTR!

The motor is bolted to fiberglass, just not sure whats under the fiberglass. I paid 3k for it..... but that was from a friend. Think I got a deal?:D

Hoosier Bob
08-19-2010, 10:17 PM
I would say yes! I don't know what you are planning but by the pics it looks really well taken care of. Buff and wax! Clean and ride. Pics of the engine soon? Nice boat and welcome. Mastercrafts rock. Best part no matter what year it is a Mastercraft. kind of like playing with a .357 when you are used to a .22!Nice JTR!

The motor is bolted to fiberglass, just not sure whats under the fiberglass. I paid 3k for it..... but that was from a friend. Think I got a deal?:D

tph
08-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Nice JTR!

Here is a picture of the engine mount setup in a boat with fiberglass stringers. It's an '89 but the setup is the same as the late '83's except that the '89 metal is galvanized

Bert
08-20-2010, 01:42 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/006-1.jpg

Just grabbed an 83 too! Fiberglass stringers are easy to spot just pop the motor cover and see what she is bolted too. If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for it? I love to see people like us still buying these unique older quality boats!

Good luck!

JTR
Nice boat, they are cool
Trailer guide poles tall enough?:D

03geetee
08-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Nice boat, they are cool
Trailer guide poles tall enough?:D

Word!!!

Yeah I checked the HIN and mine was built in DEC of 83 so fiberglass would have been used, but I checked.

Poles were made taller by the previous owner but I dig it! Gotta get a Blackhawks flag up there or something.

JTR

Bert
08-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Word!!!

Yeah I checked the HIN and mine was built in DEC of 83 so fiberglass would have been used, but I checked.

Poles were made taller by the previous owner but I dig it! Gotta get a Blackhawks flag up there or something.

JTR
Cool, put the championship banner between them:D