PDA

View Full Version : Identify this snake

Mag_Red
07-06-2005, 03:20 PM
:eek: So was this anything to be concerned about????

ski_king
07-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Copperhead or Northern Banded Water Snake.

I got bit while swimming with one like that once in an area that was known to have Copperheads.
I was told if it swims with head out of water, probobly a Copperhead. Mine had its head under water and I am still living.

Northern Banded Water Snake (http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects/herpcons/herps_of_NC/snakes/Ner_sip.html)
Copperhead (http://www.bio.davidson.edu/Biology/herpcons/Herps_of_NC/snakes/Agk_con.html)

LakePirate
07-06-2005, 03:22 PM
it would look better at the end of a shot gun, with it's guts plastered on Jeremy's wakeboard.

Don't quote me on this but it looks like a cotton mouth.

MarkP
07-06-2005, 03:32 PM
:eek: So was this anything to be concerned about????
Yep,

I would be a little concerned.. Donít invite him on your boat..

BriEOD
07-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Denny, I assume you went to the hospital? What happened to you?

ski_king
07-06-2005, 03:39 PM
I was in the middle of nowhere, went to see the only doctor in town, but he was on vacation. My dad did the old boy scout treatment of cutting with a knife and sucking out venum.
I went back to sking within 2 hours figuring if I was going to die, I wanted one last ski..

I saw the snake AGAIN the next day and killed him!
I learned weeks later it was a Northern Water Snake.

Bobby
07-06-2005, 03:40 PM
it would look better at the end of a shot gun, with it's guts plastered on Jeremy's wakeboard.

Don't quote me on this but it looks like a cotton mouth.

I'll quote you on it and tell you that cottonmouths are straight black with white mouths ;)

bcampbe7
07-06-2005, 03:43 PM
By Denny's posted links, it looks like a Copperhead.
As Bobby mentioned, cotten mouths are darker.

If it's not dead it is of cocern to me. On second thought, even dead it is of concern. I hate snakes of any size, shape, or color!

Mag_Red
07-06-2005, 03:43 PM
OK...so we have a Copperhead (which I believe are dangerous ) or a Cotton Mouth (which doesn't sound dangerous ) :rant: So which is it??? Came across him as I was heading towards shore in a small cove on Lake Cumberland. First time I ever saw a snake on this lake in 20 something years, even though lots of people tell me they are there. Next time I'll let some one else tie the houseboat up to the shore ;)

MarkP
07-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Denny, I assume you went to the hospital? What happened to you?
LOL

Sounds like ol John Wayne sucked the venom out and bit the snake back:worthy:

BriEOD
07-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Cotton Mouth (which doesn't sound dangerous )

Uhhh Bob, got news for you they are both dangerous/poisonous.

I agree with Beau the only good snake is a dead snake.

BriEOD
07-06-2005, 03:47 PM
I was in the middle of nowhere, went to see the only doctor in town, but he was on vacation. My dad did the old boy scout treatment of cutting with a knife and sucking out venum.
I went back to sking within 2 hours figuring if I was going to die, I wanted one last ski..

I saw the snake AGAIN the next day and killed him!
I learned weeks later it was a Northern Water Snake.

That's scary.

Mag_Red
07-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Uhhh Bob, got news for you they are both dangerous/poisonous.

I agree with Beau the only good snake is a dead snake.Good to know BriEOD. I'm actually surprised now that every one went smimming after we got the boat tied off.

dmac
07-06-2005, 03:53 PM
I don't think I would be swimming anytime too soon after seeing that feller.

Mag_Red
07-06-2005, 04:06 PM
I don't think I would be swimming anytime too soon after seeing that feller.He wanted no part of us........he was heading away from where we were tied up. :dance:

jsonova99
07-06-2005, 04:07 PM
I would say northern copperhead. Less dangerous than a cotton mouth, and bites are seldom fatal. How long was it? Copperheads are usually around 3 feet as adults.

Mag_Red
07-06-2005, 04:13 PM
I would say northern copperhead. Less dangerous than a cotton mouth, and bites are seldom fatal. How long was it? Copperheads are usually around 3 feet as adults. He was about 2' maybe 30"s long.

gr8smiles
07-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Definitely a water snake variety....cottonmouths avoid large lakes...they prefer swampy areas or golf course type ponds...seriously

Copperheads are not lake snakes either...mainly woodsy areas

At Center Hill in Tennessee, we have a ton of water snakes in the cove/creek areas. They generally swim away and are almost never seen anywhere except the back areas of coves and around docks. Walk around the marinas at night with a light and I promise that you will never swim in the dock areas again... :D

Rick

Leroy
07-06-2005, 04:56 PM
I would say Northern Water Snake. Nothing to worry about mate!

east tx skier
07-06-2005, 04:59 PM
My first guess was water snake as water moccasins (http://www.wf.net/~snake/moccasin.htm) are darker (and really aggressive---we've had them chase us and get in smaller boats with us) and copperheads are generally more likely to be a dry land find. But that thing has a triangular-shaped head, which would cause me to believe it was venomous.

Even though most snakes will avoid boats and skiers, I agree with the good snake/dead snake rule of thumb.

/brother in law was bitten by a copperhead as a child.

planoboy
07-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Only 3 kinds of snakes skeer me...
live one, dead one, and a stick that looks like one!

betsy&david Harrison
07-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Now, I truely don't mind skiing with the catfish...I LOATHE SNAKES :noface: I'M just crawling in my seat just reading this stuff. :eek: B

MYMC
07-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Water snake...kill them here all the time (your picture is usually the view I have right before pulling the trigger). Gotta love that lever action .410 from Winchester!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-06-2005, 06:31 PM
(and really aggressive---we've had them chase us and get in smaller boats with us)

Now that IS scary!!! :eek: thats a serious reason to keep a shotgun in the boat for sure. WOW! I guess the frigid waters of michigan have their advantages too sometimes.....

JEREMY79
07-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Glad I got in on this one. I would say Copperhead. Even though they typically are not found in the water, they will go into it. I HATE SNAKES. Mag, use the boat prop next time....Make pureed snake out of him.

MYMC...You need a bigger gun

TNH2oSkier
07-06-2005, 10:06 PM
One of those crazy animal guys on the discovery channel says that all poisenous snakes will have a triangular shaped head. That looks pretty triangular to me.
BTW we cought a nice little timber rattle snake about 2' long at the latest house we are working on. It had 3 buttons.

Mag_Red
07-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Glad I got in on this one. I would say Copperhead. Even though they typically are not found in the water, they will go into it. I HATE SNAKES. Mag, use the boat prop next time....Make pureed snake out of him.

MYMC...You need a bigger gun Little too close to shore for that :D The scary thing was my daughter had just gotten on shore, from a jet ski, to tie a rope to a tree. She was having problems, so I went over there with the boat. That's when I saw him.

JEREMY79
07-06-2005, 10:36 PM
I would have found a way to kill him. (even if it cost a wakeboard, ask markp) Only good snake is a dead one.

I didnt know you had a daughter

6ballsisall
07-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Mag, looks like good eatin! I hate snakes but Rattle snake sure tasted good!! Tastes like chicken!! :D

SKI*MC
07-06-2005, 10:55 PM

What a way to die... :purplaugh

WilliamsFamLV
07-06-2005, 11:23 PM
As far as I know.... Here in the desert snakes stay on the HOT dirt, not in the water!? :huh:

John B
07-06-2005, 11:35 PM
This is a little Diamond Back rattle snake that was at Canyon Lake near the course. :eek:

Mag_Red
07-06-2005, 11:44 PM
I would have found a way to kill him. (even if it cost a wakeboard, ask markp) Only good snake is a dead one.

I didnt know you had a daughterOnly for the last 16 years now :D

jimmer2880
07-07-2005, 06:10 AM
....MYMC...You need a bigger gun

Since around here - it's a tad illegal to shoot into the water - or around other boats, etc... the .410 is perfect. Spread shot, but still a tad on the quiet side.

If it's a weekend, I use a .22 with spreadshot. But, you have to be within 20' for that to do anything.;)

BriEOD
07-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Mag, looks like good eatin! I hate snakes but Rattle snake sure tasted good!! Tastes like chicken!! :D

Jeff you have issues my friend. :noface:

gr8smiles
07-07-2005, 08:41 AM
This is a little Diamond Back rattle snake that was at Canyon Lake near the course. :eek:

Never seen a snake 'walk' on water.......

JEREMY79
07-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Dont really care to see it either

shepherd
07-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Glad I got in on this one. I would say Copperhead. Even though they typically are not found in the water, they will go into it.

I was at Carl Roberge ski school in Orlando some years back, and they pulled a 5' rattler out of the lake right after my set. So, even the "land" snakes will go for a swim once in a while.

shepherd
07-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Never seen a snake 'walk' on water.......
That was my first thought too. That sucker sure is riding high!

gr8smiles
07-07-2005, 02:24 PM
One word.....Photoshop

MYMC
07-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Since around here - it's a tad illegal to shoot into the water - or around other boats, etc... the .410 is perfect. Spread shot, but still a tad on the quiet side.

I find that the .17HMR loaded with hollow points filled with the polycobonate tip works well if distance becomes an issue. It is a little loud (like a .22 mag) but extremely accurate and lethal for those outside of .410 range. It is also available in a revolver...if storage space is an issue. 2550fps = no waiting.