PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Jobs in Tomahawk / Minocqua Are

Andyg
08-18-2010, 01:02 AM
My wife and I recently built a second home between Tomahawk and Minocqua. My wife and I are both currently in sales and we are looking to quit or high stress jobs and move to Northern Wisconsin to try and enjoy our lives a little more than continue the rat race we are in now. I am reaching out to any Teamtalk members in the North Woods of Wisconsin to see if you know of any job opportunities in the area. I have a mechanical engineering background. I worked as an engineer for 9 years after graduating from college and have spent the last 4 years in sales, 2 years in medical sales and 2 years as a sales engineer. If anyone knows of any opportunities up there I would appreciate any info you may have.

Thanks

Andyg

Thrall
08-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Good luck dude! I would love to do that. Considered staying around after building my mom a house in Park Falls, but didn't see a ton of opportunity up there.......god's country nonetheless.
Not alot of mfg/engineering up there, but the fishin is good!
You could always buy a bar/old supper club. Seems to be alot of them for sale and the owners that don't drink their profit up seem to do well if they got good food.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Look at it from a sales territory standpoint. I sell tires wholesale and can live anywhere I choose. There are a lot of companies that utilize home office arrangements for those with sales experience.

Hanse1
08-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Check with Daigle Brothers, Northland Stainless, and PCA mill. Not sure if they are hiring but will be a start. I did the same thing left Milwaukee and moved back up to Tomahawk. Nothing better, now my stress is filling the cooler and getting to the lake as soon as I can. Good luck.

Andyg
08-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Good luck dude! I would love to do that. Considered staying around after building my mom a house in Park Falls, but didn't see a ton of opportunity up there.......god's country nonetheless.
Not alot of mfg/engineering up there, but the fishin is good!
You could always buy a bar/old supper club. Seems to be alot of them for sale and the owners that don't drink their profit up seem to do well if they got good food.

We thought about the bar resteraunt business, but the entire reason for the move was to lower the stress levels on myself an my wife. I know I could do it as I used to run a couple of bar/resteraunts in Madison after I graduated from college. I just don't know if my blood pressure could handlle it being an owner/operator.

Andyg
08-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Look at it from a sales territory standpoint. I sell tires wholesale and can live anywhere I choose. There are a lot of companies that utilize home office arrangements for those with sales experience.

Finding them is the problem.

Andyg
08-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Check with Daigle Brothers, Northland Stainless, and PCA mill. Not sure if they are hiring but will be a start. I did the same thing left Milwaukee and moved back up to Tomahawk. Nothing better, now my stress is filling the cooler and getting to the lake as soon as I can. Good luck.

Do you ski around there much? Where at? I always used to ski on the river with the guys from the Kwahomots, but now that I have a place on Nokomis it is a little harder to find good water on the weekends to ski. We still manage to do it, just have to be a little more patient and get out a little earlier.

Thanks for the tips. I know Northland isn't hiring right now and neither is the mill. I haven't looked at Daigle Brothers, but I have heard of them.

I actually applied for a job in Merrill last night and the HR lady called me this morning for a phone interview. So I guess I will keep my fingers crossed.

Hanse1
08-18-2010, 03:02 PM
I used to ski for the Kwahamots twenty years ago. We are out on Nokomis every weekend and usually one night during the week. There are bars for sale but like you said lots of headaches and usually takes away from ski time. Where is your house on Nokomis? Good luck with the interview.

Andyg
08-18-2010, 03:18 PM
I used to ski for the Kwahamots twenty years ago. We are out on Nokomis every weekend and usually one night during the week. There are bars for sale but like you said lots of headaches and usually takes away from ski time. Where is your house on Nokomis? Good luck with the interview.

You can buy Schaeffers for only $1.2 million! I can't figure out what he is smoking that he thinks that place is worth that. Bootleggers has more business and is for sale for something like $850K.

We are north and west of the boat launch and damn. If you ever see the red and white 197 with mini tower sitting out front I am probably there. Feel free to stop by.

joecarew3
08-18-2010, 04:46 PM
I too ski Nokomis almost every weekend. Job market is going to be tough up here right now. With Harley in uncertainty and not a ton of other manufacturing it's prolly going to be pretty tough. Seems like a guy with your schooling should be better off than 90% of everyone else out there. I think both places are off their rockers with those price tags. Schaeffers started higher than that if I remember correctly, but its still for sale so that should say enough about it. My parents have a place pretty close to that boat landing, might have to stop by if I see your boat out there. Nice having some water in the lake this year! Good luck with the search!

Datdude
08-18-2010, 06:02 PM
PM at you Andyg

Andyg
08-25-2010, 04:36 PM
I too ski Nokomis almost every weekend. Job market is going to be tough up here right now. With Harley in uncertainty and not a ton of other manufacturing it's prolly going to be pretty tough. Seems like a guy with your schooling should be better off than 90% of everyone else out there. I think both places are off their rockers with those price tags. Schaeffers started higher than that if I remember correctly, but its still for sale so that should say enough about it. My parents have a place pretty close to that boat landing, might have to stop by if I see your boat out there. Nice having some water in the lake this year! Good luck with the search!

I have seen your boat out on Nokomis before. If I see you out I will swing by and say hi.

The job search continues

Andyg

barefoot
08-25-2010, 05:12 PM
What about Harley? They have a plant in that area.

Andyg
08-25-2010, 07:01 PM
What about Harley? They have a plant in that area.

I actually used to work for Harley in Milwaukee from 2001 to 2006 and I would like to work for them in Tomahawk. Harley right now is in a tough spot. They are considering moving all Wisconsin operations out of state to reduce labor costs. That decision is expected sometime in Sept. Once that decision is made I have a feeling that there might be some opportunities there.