PDA

View Full Version : 3m finesse it

davidstan
08-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Which of the half dozen types of finesse it should we use if our boat just has medium milky looking oxidation? I would like to use something that I can buff on and off then polish with nautical ease polish. Don't need a full restoration on my 99 star. Thx all!

BrianM
08-17-2010, 10:16 AM
I have had very good results with the Finesse-It-II. Marine and auto are the same stuff just in different colored bottles.

Jesus_Freak
08-17-2010, 01:45 PM
I have had very good results with the Finesse-It-II. Marine and auto are the same stuff just in different colored bottles.

Ditto, but mine was so heavily oxidized that I had to use 3M Super Duty compound first.

sand2snow22
08-17-2010, 02:48 PM
I would think compound or wet sand for oxidation. Wet sand otherwise it will come back.

BrianM
08-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I have posted this a bunch of times but will do so again. If you have some relatively heavy oxidation you will need to start with a heaver compound using a circular polisher and a high quality wool pad. The process below will remove some seriously nasty oxidation and leave you with a super high shine boat.

-3M Super Duty Compound with a Circular Polisher and Wool Pad (repeat if you have especially bad oxidation)
-3M Finesse-It-II with a Circular Polisher and an Orange Foam Pad
-Meguire's Polish (Stage 2 in the Maroon Bottle) with an Orbital and White Foam Pad
-Your Favorite 100% Carnuba Wax with an Orbital and Red Foam Pad

Use HIGH QUALITY pads! I recommend these http://www.properautocare.com/doeufopobupa.html

Thrall
08-17-2010, 04:41 PM
What BrianM said. I just bought Finesse It 3000 this last time and it works the same as finesse it II, said it was better for dark colors, less swirl marks. Seems teh same to me.
Any oxidation I'd cut it first with compound, then polish with Finesse It....done.

Not sure what nautical ease polish is, but if it's a commercial grade polish, it's probably comparable to Finesse It and if that isn't working then compound it first.

davidstan
08-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the input. Bought the marine finesse it and try it first. Just light oxidation not heavy thankfully.

03geetee
08-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Any before and after pics?

By Oxidation do you mean the white haze on my beautiful red metal flake that I want to get rid of!

JTR

BrianM
08-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Any before and after pics?

By Oxidation do you mean the white haze on my beautiful red metal flake that I want to get rid of!

JTR

Yep. Use the process above and it should look like new. Check out this thread for lots of before and after pics.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19557&highlight=1985+restoration

03geetee
08-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Brian awesome job and that thread is exactly what I need to do to my just purchased 83 S&S. Really great shape, but just needs some polishing, teak deck work and interior however my motor is a gem! Runs like a champ, owner did everything to keep her in great shape and strong. I really like what your buffer did with good results.

Think it will work on this...you can see where the platform was what great stuff is underneath.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/001.jpg

I sure hope so!

JTR

BrianM
08-20-2010, 10:00 AM
That doesn't look bad at all. May take you two passes with the compound first like it did for me but I think you will have great results. Make sure you post some photos.