PDA

View Full Version : Low oil pressure warning

G.Luke
08-16-2010, 10:58 AM
2001 Maristar 230 VRS w/ Indmar 330LTR EFI

Last year I changed the oil and filter and used a larger filter than what was on previously. I then started to get a warning buzzer when the engine was warmed up and at idle. The buzzer goes off when the oil pressure indicator reads low (about 5-10, or just above the bottom line). When I turn off the ignition and restart the buzzer stops.

I changed back to the short can, but warning buzzer still goes off. I had 2 different mechanics (including certified Indmar shop) check and neither could diagnose. They both said there were no trouble codes.

My nearest Mastercraft dealer is a 2 hr trip. I'd appreciate any info on this

vision
08-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Someone will likely disagree, but I say this is normal.

The engine trouble alarm, and red check engine visual alert on the X-star's VDIG, go off every time I first start my engine after an oil change. My 05 X2 did the exact same thing. As you said, it goes away with a restart, or with the X-star simply canceling the alarm. Oil pressure gauge reads normal pressure.

G.Luke
08-16-2010, 01:30 PM
The only problem is that the warning buzzer now goes off every time the oil pressure is in the very low range (when the engine is completely warmed up and at idle for more than a minute or two.) I described the problem to the service dept at the closest dealer and his answer was to bring it in and they would have to hook it up.

I'm just wondering if there is a problem with the oil sending unit, or just a false warning

Thanks

etduc
08-16-2010, 06:25 PM
The only problem is that the warning buzzer now goes off every time the oil pressure is in the very low range (when the engine is completely warmed up and at idle for more than a minute or two.) I described the problem to the service dept at the closest dealer and his answer was to bring it in and they would have to hook it up.

I'm just wondering if there is a problem with the oil sending unit, or just a false warning

Thanks

Wouldn't the oil pressure sending unit, be an automotive part? (DIM have them for $30.00)

Piece of cake, to change. If it doesn't solve the problem, haven't lost alot.

Also, what grade of oil, are you using? Can sometimes make the difference, if engine is set at too low, an idle.

Seems cheaper to replace the sender, than replace the engine. No such thing, as a false warning. It is a warning.

G.Luke
09-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks, I found an old thread about the same problem. It does seem to be somewhat of a common issue. Bottom line recommendation is that I should hook up a manual oil pressure gauge to confirm that the pressure is within limits (roughly 10psi/1000 rpms). As long as this is the case I basically just have to ignore the alarm,i.e. no one really had a fix for the false alarm.

If the manual gauge shows below those parameters then I have an oil pump problem, or an even bigger problem and need a complete rebuild.

G.Luke
09-04-2010, 01:13 AM
in last post I meant mechanical oil pressure gauge, not manual