PDA

View Full Version : Strut allignment on and 85 S&S

Wired_Right
08-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Does anyone have any experience with these struts?

This thing does not seem bent at all. It does though look like it was replaced before. It has a part number of MC-20-0299. I did a little research and from pictures i have seen, I don't think it is factory for this 85.
In order to get the shaft in the center of the prop shaft tunnel. I need to bolt of the front 2 bolts and the rear of the strut has to be about 1/2 inch to 3/4 of an inch spaced from the bottom of the boat and the strut.
So here is the question: Is this the wrong strut all together? Wrong Degree? or Right Degree, but bent strut?

Yes, I have replaced the strut bearings and I am trying this with a new shaft.

tph
08-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Could it be an engine alignment issue??

Wired_Right
08-15-2010, 11:42 PM
No, The prop shaft through the strut and up through the prop tunnel does not line up. The shaft rests on the bottom of the prop tunnel. I guess it has been that way for several years. it has worn a groove in the boat. it is not even connected to the engine yet. I'm the 3rd owner and now i know why it had a new 4 blade prop on it when I bought it 4 years ago. Something happened, and it was not put back together right.

FrankSchwab
08-16-2010, 01:28 AM
Probably wrong angle on the strut. I can't imagine that someone could bend the strut in that dimension without something obvious.

Try calling SkiDim or Elberts; they may be able to identify what you have and tell you whether it's the right one or not.

Wired_Right
08-16-2010, 02:00 AM
This is what i encountered after my shaft broke. Its funny because i have done every sort of preventative maintenance, I really never thought to check the prop shaft in the last 4 years I have owned my S&S. I had a jet boat before, so a prop shaft never crossed my mind till it broke and i was stuck in the lake.

Wired_Right
08-16-2010, 02:06 AM
oh and I check Skidim and they seem to have an 84/85 strut in stock. The photo looks nothing like the one I have. I bought my prop shaft fro Elbert's, so I will be calling multiple places tomorrow to figure this out. Looking at other S&S's on here and mine does not look the same.
I'm going banana's

MakeMineaS&S
08-16-2010, 03:30 AM
I'll fire off pics tomorrow, but by looking at your strut, and going off my memory of my strut, (it's not right here), my strut looks NOTHING like your strut. Mine looks a lot beefier and thicker.

I'll get pics tomorrow.

('85 S&S here, all original, so it should be cool.)

tph
08-16-2010, 12:05 PM
This seller on Ebay has both a 1 inch and a 1 1/8 inch for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mastercraft-Running-Gear-Strut-19Skier-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ250681270798QQptZBoatQ5fPa rtsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Wired_Right
08-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks. I just called that dealer. It is stock and new. I would have never thought to check eBay.

TLR67
08-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Dont buy fro Great Lakes Skipper on E-Bay.... They screwed me on return shipping when they advertised the wrong size strut... I feel your Pain going through this...

Bert
08-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have any experience with these struts?

This thing does not seem bent at all. It does though look like it was replaced before. It has a part number of MC-20-0299. I did a little research and from pictures i have seen, I don't think it is factory for this 85.
In order to get the shaft in the center of the prop shaft tunnel. I need to bolt of the front 2 bolts and the rear of the strut has to be about 1/2 inch to 3/4 of an inch spaced from the bottom of the boat and the strut.
So here is the question: Is this the wrong strut all together? Wrong Degree? or Right Degree, but bent strut?

Yes, I have replaced the strut bearings and I am trying this with a new shaft.
I think you have the wrong strut so the angle is off. Don't think you could bend it that way

Wired_Right
08-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Well from all my research today. I found out there were two different struts on S&S's (a 15 degree with a 5/8th drop and a 16 degree with a 5/8th drop)
My boat must of had some repair prior to my ownership that I did not know about.
I guess it was a 50/50 shot when, whoever fixed the boat, bought the strut but it was the wrong one.
I ordered the right one today the 15 degree 5/8th drop.

Thanks again for all the help out there.

Bert
08-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Well from all my research today. I found out there were two different struts on S&S's (a 15 degree with a 5/8th drop and a 16 degree with a 5/8th drop)
My boat must of had some repair prior to my ownership that I did not know about.
I guess it was a 50/50 shot when, whoever fixed the boat, bought the strut but it was the wrong one.
I ordered the right one today the 15 degree 5/8th drop.

Thanks again for all the help out there.

good to hear, you will enjoy many hours of trouble free boating now. Thing about these boats is if you keep off the lake bottom the go for ever.