PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Issues 94 Prostar 205

gearedforacure
08-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Long story short, I am having "Fuel Problems" and I dont have the first clue what to look at. I am fairly mechanically inclined and I have done plenty of my own work on this boat. I am just wondering what I should be looking at. Here are the symtoms:

-After boat has been sitting, engine compartment smells of fuel, if boat cover is on, whole boat smells like fuel
-When running, I think it is using more fuel than it should use...like a full tank in less than 3 hours.
-I accidentally cleaned the sump the other day (left the plug out when I put the boat in the water, pulled it back out and let it drain), When I got home, I forgot to take the plug out and it rained and filled the sump back up. When I went out to pull the plug I had to reach through an oil slick to get the plug out and when complete, my hand smelled like I reached in a fuel can to get the plug out.
-There is a huge (about half the size of the boat) dead spot of grass directly under the drain where the boat is stored.

I Cant think of anything else right now, but there could be more, if you have questions, ask. I really appreciate everyone's help on here. This is a great site.

oldairboater
08-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Check you tank vent. Check your tank fill. Check all your fuel lines. Look for clean shiny places. Fuel is a solvent ---sometimes removes the paint and grease/oil/dirt where it leaks. Look for leaks and take your time. Strong fuel odor can mean you might be in a flammable range and are looking for an ignition source. I usually start with basics then dig deeper.

gearedforacure
08-15-2010, 05:59 PM
cool, are all of the fuel delivery lines metal?

erkoehler
08-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Isn't there a return line off the pump on those boats for unused fuel? I'm not a tech, but I am pretty sure that there is. I would look in to if that line is in tact and verify it is not blocked.