PDA

View Full Version : X-45 with 8.1L Engine leaking oil

jostevenso
08-15-2010, 12:21 AM
I have a 2006 X-45 with the 8.1 Liter engine. I am using a little less than a quart of oil per tank of gas. I wouldn't be too worried about it but I can see a fair amount of oil draining from the bilge area after I pull the plugs after a week on the lake. I had the dealer look at it and they say they can't see any evidence of oil leaking around the oil filter or other obvious locations. They want to tear into the engine to see if there is damage to the block or other engine components. I'm very hesitent to have them tear into the engine. For you experts out there, if the problem was internal damage wouldn't I see it by way of smoke in the exhaust? Is it possible to have internal damage that is causing oil to leak into the bilge but without being able to see oil dripping off of the engine somewhere? Thanks for your help!

DooSPX
08-15-2010, 12:34 AM
the places that come to mind at the moment are...
pan
pan gasket
oil drain tube
oil filter
valve cover
timing cover
pcv

If you had physical damage to the block, I think you would know about it.
for the heck of it, pull the f/a and check behind the blade on the tb. how much residue is in there? check the exhaust for signs of oil leaks.

jostevenso
08-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not mechanical enough to know your abbreviations. What is the f/a and what is the tb? Thanks again!

DooSPX
08-15-2010, 08:36 PM
no problem.
F/A= Flame Arrestor
TB= Throttle Body.

the flame arrestor or air filter if you will and the throttle body is where the filter is attached to.