PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Prostar 190 cuts out

karls 95
08-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Runs fine until it gets warmed up after skiing/driving for awhile and then start to cut out, also ameter drops to zero, and somtimes the temp gage tops out and then goes back to normal.
Its is not runing hot

I have replaced
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
Cap and rotor
Plugs and plug wires
Alternator
Battery

I have check all the conections

any ideas?:confused:

wakesurfer
08-15-2010, 10:52 AM
look at my posts i have the same boat, you need to check the gas tank sending unit screen for debris, check the fuel preasure, what do you mean cutting out , totally shuts down engine? or just loss of rpms?

Boiler_81
08-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Check the connections on your ignition switch. I just had the same issue on my 1995 205. Three of the four lugs had loose screws. Make sure the battery is disconnected prior to tightening them. The orange wire is always hot.

karls 95
08-16-2010, 10:53 AM
look at my posts i have the same boat, you need to check the gas tank sending unit screen for debris, check the fuel preasure, what do you mean cutting out , totally shuts down engine? or just loss of rpms?
Where is that... screen? No Schrader type valve to hook up presure gage.does not shut down...Just a cuts out a second

karls 95
08-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Check the connections on your ignition switch. I just had the same issue on my 1995 205. Three of the four lugs had loose screws. Make sure the battery is disconnected prior to tightening them. The orange wire is always hot.
I checked, but I will recheck

JimN
08-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Where is that... screen? No Schrader type valve to hook up presure gage.does not shut down...Just a cuts out a second

If it happens when you cross a wake or are at higher speed and hit waves, look for loose connections. Make sure the battery terminals are clean & tight, the grounds at the rear of the motor are clean & tight, the ignition switch terminals are snug and the coil wire is on fully. If you can get this to happen at idle, check for spark and if you call some car parts stores, they may have a fuel line adapter for testing the fuel pressure. I posted a link for one a couple of weeks ago.

karls 95
08-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks to everyone for trying to help!
There is 14 volts to the ammeter and it reads zero,

I will replace the gauge.

I did notice that when I put the coil under a load (unpluged the cap wire and created a small gap)there was some breaking down of the coil winding insulation(i could see little blue sparks)

I will replace the coil.
I will recheck the ignition switch conections.
I will look for a screen on the fuel system ( any ideas where I should look?)

karls 95
08-16-2010, 11:17 AM
If it happens when you cross a wake or are at higher speed and hit waves, look for loose connections. Make sure the battery terminals are clean & tight, the grounds at the rear of the motor are clean & tight, the ignition switch terminals are snug and the coil wire is on fully. If you can get this to happen at idle, check for spark and if you call some car parts stores, they may have a fuel line adapter for testing the fuel pressure. I posted a link for one a couple of weeks ago.

it happens when it is good and warmed up
once it starts it does not matter if at idle or bonceing along
runs great until then no matter what
new battery, cleaned with tool and good n tight
checked ground cables and all breaker and relay conections on motor
checked ignition switch, I will recheck
I will look for a fuel line adapter I have never liked the way the fuel line is ran, when it was new, the dealer messed with it. ( thats why i like to service my own stuff, I go slow , do cleaner work, lol )

JimN
08-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks to everyone for trying to help!
There is 14 volts to the ammeter and it reads zero,

I will replace the gauge.

I did notice that when I put the coil under a load (unpluged the cap wire and created a small gap)there was some breaking down of the coil winding insulation(i could see little blue sparks)

I will replace the coil.
I will recheck the ignition switch connections.
I will look for a screen on the fuel system ( any ideas where I should look?)

Did you do continuity tests on the wires to the gauges, from the ignition switch and the grounds? I would do that before anything is replaced. You may find that it's just a bad terminal on a wire.

JimN
08-16-2010, 02:04 PM
it happens when it is good and warmed up
once it starts it does not matter if at idle or bonceing along
runs great until then no matter what
new battery, cleaned with tool and good n tight
checked ground cables and all breaker and relay conections on motor
checked ignition switch, I will recheck
I will look for a fuel line adapter I have never liked the way the fuel line is ran, when it was new, the dealer messed with it. ( thats why i like to service my own stuff, I go slow , do cleaner work, lol )

The dealer messed with the fuel line? The same line that works great on 30K boats?

karls 95
08-16-2010, 05:03 PM
The dealer messed with the fuel line? The same line that works great on 30K boats?
when changeing the fuel filter they must have kinked or broke the line so they cobbled it back together. works it just looks likes@#$

jimmer2880
08-16-2010, 06:37 PM
I have the same boat, and have had to clean my fuel pump screen several times. Can almost do it in the dark now.

When looking at your motor from the bow of the boat, the follow the fuel line down the right side of the motor. It will look like this one http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA080022

Remove the fuel line from the bottom. Then, remove the fitting. The screen is between the pump and the 1st fitting (on the pump side).

Mine got clogged so much, I put an inline filter before the pump. It hasn't effected performance any.

jimmer2880
08-16-2010, 06:38 PM
when changeing the fuel filter they must have kinked or broke the line so they cobbled it back together. works it just looks likes@#$

Same thing happened to my boat by the previous owner's dealer (where I bought the boat), before 180 hours. I always had a small leak/weep until I had the fuel line re-built by a local auto shop.