PDA

View Full Version : AirGauge Help!

76' MC S&S
08-11-2010, 11:33 PM
I recently bought a 76' S&S, one of the Airgauge speedometer works and the other pulls water all the way into the gauge. I bought the boat knowing of this problem, but did not realize that this gauge was so unique... and the company no longer in business. Is there anyone that knows of a way to fix this problem. There is a cylindrical tube above the pitot and then out of that comes a small black hose that goes into the transom and then to the gauge. I would like to stay with the nasatalgia instead of replacing the gauge, cause then i would have to change both

east tx skier
08-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Welcome. That tube under the floor above the pitot is the culprit if I recall correctly. Are your gauges the big external ones? I know there is a company making the gauges again, but I think they are the newer style airguides from the 80s and 90s. Not sure if those parts are replaceable or not. So the best I can do is say, "Welcome," and give your post a bump.

dtc
08-11-2010, 11:50 PM
So based on my limited experience, you have a leak somewhere in the gauge that's allowing water to the gauge. It should be compressing the air along the length of the tube, however if there is no sealed air chamber, the water will just keep traveling along until it gets to the gauge.

Here's a website that is good reading for explaining how it all works and is put together ...

http://www.airguide.com.au/index.php?p=1_1

Here's a link to some guys who have worked similar problems ... specifically Greg Hind.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15358&title=airguide-speedo-restoration

Hope it works out for ya ...

76' MC S&S
08-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Yes mine are the big external gauges. DTC, thanks for the info. If unable to correct problem, would either of you have any suggestions for replacements. Happy to finally have joined the club.

east tx skier
08-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Yes mine are the big external gauges. DTC, thanks for the info. If unable to correct problem, would either of you have any suggestions for replacements. Happy to finally have joined the club.

I don't think your gauges are necessarily the problems. Rather, it would seem your ballast tubes are allowing water too far forward. Again, I've never had to mess with it and could be off base there. If all you have do have to replace the gauges, I'd get the newer style airguide from here (http://www.airguide.com.au/).

Classic Boatworks
03-16-2012, 10:35 AM
I recently bought a 76' S&S, one of the Airgauge speedometer works and the other pulls water all the way into the gauge. I bought the boat knowing of this problem, but did not realize that this gauge was so unique... and the company no longer in business. Is there anyone that knows of a way to fix this problem. There is a cylindrical tube above the pitot and then out of that comes a small black hose that goes into the transom and then to the gauge. I would like to stay with the nasatalgia instead of replacing the gauge, cause then i would have to change both

You almost certainly have a leaking diaphragm inside your speedometer.
They can be repaired.
Dean