PDA

View Full Version : Should prop shaft turn freely?

cadi1@charter.net
08-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I noticed my 2 friends that their prop shafts turn pretty freely when hand turning the prop. Mine however does not, I really have to put pressure on the prop to get it to turn. Is this signs of something bad or is it normal? The boat runs good but am also wondering if the engine has to work harder to turn the prop because of this therefore using more fuel and wear and tear on the engine??? Thanks!

MattsCraft
08-11-2010, 07:35 PM
'09 X2, mine does not turn easily from day one. I am sure others will chime in.

east tx skier
08-11-2010, 07:56 PM
It should turn, but not spin.

WTRSK1R
08-11-2010, 08:20 PM
You could try spraying some water on the prop strut with a hose as a lubricant and see if that makes any difference. It should turn, but I would not expect it to spin too freely.

cadi1@charter.net
08-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Even if I have had it in the water and lift it on the hoist, it still turns hard? Could this be the packing???

brettmess24
08-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Define hard. Can you turn it with one hand or does it take two? V drive or direct? If it takes two hands to turn you have an issue.

JIMM
08-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I also have to use a fair amount of pressure for the prop to turn by hand. Its been that way for as long as I have owned it 1995, no problems so far.

cadi1@charter.net
08-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Can turn it with one hand but have to put a lot of pressure on it. Two hand I can do it. Like I said, it runs just fine???

cadi1@charter.net
08-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Oops, direct drive...

brettmess24
08-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Can turn it with one hand but have to put a lot of pressure on it. Two hand I can do it. Like I said, it runs just fine???

Sounds fine to me, might be a good idea to check engine alignment in the off season then you know it's all good.

Jeff d
08-11-2010, 09:58 PM
My V-drive prop can be turned one direction with one hand but it takes 2 hands or a lot of effort with one to turn it the other way. I can't remember which way is hard and which is easy and at the moment I don't have a prop on there to test.

I wouldn't describe it as turning "freely" in either direction.

Not sure if that's normal or not.

brettmess24
08-11-2010, 10:04 PM
My V-drive prop can be turned one direction with one hand but it takes 2 hands or a lot of effort with one to turn it the other way. I can't remember which way is hard and which is easy and at the moment I don't have a prop on there to test.

I wouldn't describe it as turning "freely" in either direction.

Not sure if that's normal or not.

That is not normal, should turn the same in both directions.

ahhudgins
08-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I know my V-drive turns fairly easy, I'm going to check both directions this weekend. Every MC I've ever owned the prop was was a little tight when you first tried to turn it, but once it started to turn (or I put some water on the strut bushing) I could turn the prop with one hand. You can look at the rubber bushing in the strut and see if it is wearing unevenly (side to side or up and down) it would be an indication of an alignment problem.

When I bought my last MC, I could hardly turn the prop by hand and I could see that the bushing was wearing on the sides. When I disconnected the coupling at the transmission the coupling sprung over about 1/2 inch. My strut was bent putting the shaft in a bind. Once I replaced the strut, bushing, and did an alignment, it has been easy to turn by hand.

FrankSchwab
08-11-2010, 11:58 PM
A well-aligned driveshaft should allow you to turn the prop with one finger (on mine, it's hard with one finger). Two or three fingers is OK. Requiring a hand to move it probably suggests an alignment would help. If it takes two hands, you really need to do one.

The factory alignment solves one problem - a misalignment at the coupler that would put excess stress on the bearings in the transmission. The driveshaft could be bent 90 degrees, with huge frictional forces in the shaft log or cutlass bearing; as long as when you bent it and attached the coupler you had less than .003" of clearance difference, you're OK.

There's a document on this site called "Propshaft Alignment" that's been floating around since before I got here that describes the process to get a straight, low-friction, aligned drivetrain that includes the factory style alignment. I've attached it; it'll take a couple of hours to do, but you should probably only have to do it once in the life of the boat.

Give it a try.

cadi1@charter.net
08-12-2010, 07:18 AM
I am guessing a dealer would have to do this?? After I think about it, that really makes sense...

FrankSchwab
08-12-2010, 04:22 PM
I am guessing a dealer would have to do this?? After I think about it, that really makes sense...

The propshaft alignment? If you're handy, it's not as big a deal as it sounds. If you're not, then yes.