PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pressure on RTP-1

shunra
08-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Anyone know what the fuel pressure should be on a RTP-1 on a 2002 X-Star 310 hp?

I am trying to diagnose a problem with power loss?

CLTMC
08-11-2010, 04:05 PM
should be 60psi key on.

shunra
08-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Should the pressure be the same at wide open throttle? For the most part the engine is idleing fine but I am wondering if the pump can't keep up with demand at WOT.

JimN
08-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Should the pressure be the same at wide open throttle? For the most part the engine is idleing fine but I am wondering if the pump can't keep up with demand at WOT.

It should be the same, within a couple of pounds, at Key ON, Idle, 2000 RPM and WOT.

CLTMC
08-11-2010, 05:03 PM

The engine needs 60psi to run correctly, we have ran across a few bad fuel pumps putting out 30psi just enough to let the engine idle the boat back to the dock. Fuel pump replaced problem solved.
What psi are you seeing?

shunra
08-11-2010, 05:09 PM
I haven't tested it yet but I am heading back to the lake this weekend I will test it then

Last weekend I noticed the power loss and I am just trying to get an idea of what kind of tests to run this weekend. I am thinking of buying a fuel pump and bringing it with me just in case.

Do you guys have any other ideas on what I should test?'

Thanks for the help.

CLTMC
08-11-2010, 05:19 PM
When is the last time the boat has been fully serviced? Spark plugs,plug wires,cap and rotor, fuel filter. Always start with the simple things.

shunra
08-11-2010, 07:01 PM
I just changed the plugs, but the rest hasn't been done since I have owned the boat. 540 hours on the boat. Do I have to get marine parts?

shunra
08-16-2010, 04:45 PM
should be 60psi key on.

Checked the pressure and it is only 30psi at idle, part throttle, and full throttle. However in the mean time I saw a chart on here somewhere (can't find it now) that seemed to indicate that 30psi was in spec for my motor (2002 RTP)

Also changed the dist cap and rotor. The engine seemed to liven up for about 2 minutes then went right back to its old tricks. I am starting to suspect something timing or spark related.