PDA

View Full Version : ski rope around shaft.

tlcrichardson
08-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Ok still new to inboards so I need an answer. Friend was driving boat as i tended rope. (will not happen again... Tossed rope to the kids (two), wakeboarding off the tower. Well as I went to set down I yelled stop. The rope came tight off the tower down across the side of the boat. Driver wanted to spin the boat and head down the shore. running over the rope. I had a mental lapse of the driver not being my wife. So over the side I went and found the rope arund the shaft, between the prop and strut. The rope was pressing on the strut and the rope was not tight tight, just snug. I had to cut the rope to get it off. Put on trailer after being towed in and everything looked good. Then ran it and felt no problem. Safe to run or take to dealer. Again just wrapped in the shaft between the strut and prop. I feel all is good to go, but need someone to agree with me. Thanks again

blakehardesty
08-11-2010, 08:36 AM
I would say you are good to go. Unless you feel major vibration or anything suspicious.

Jim@BAWS
08-11-2010, 08:44 AM
He or She who drives over the rope gets to unwrap or cut the rope!

Always carry a knife...to cut the rope HA HA HA

It will not be the last one I promise

Jim@BAWS

sizzler
08-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Ok still new to inboards so I need an answer. Friend was driving boat as i tended rope. (will not happen again... Tossed rope to the kids (two), wakeboarding off the tower. Well as I went to set down I yelled stop. The rope came tight off the tower down across the side of the boat. Driver wanted to spin the boat and head down the shore. running over the rope. I had a mental lapse of the driver not being my wife. So over the side I went and found the rope arund the shaft, between the prop and strut. The rope was pressing on the strut and the rope was not tight tight, just snug. I had to cut the rope to get it off. Put on trailer after being towed in and everything looked good. Then ran it and felt no problem. Safe to run or take to dealer. Again just wrapped in the shaft between the strut and prop. I feel all is good to go, but need someone to agree with me. Thanks again

i would say good to go....have had drivers do it to mine a couple of times.....as jim said...always carry a knife and send the driver over the side

flipper
08-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Won't be the last time I'm sure, but shouldn't do any damage.

kkkeating
08-11-2010, 09:43 AM
You're good to go; we had ours kill the engine when the rope went taunt between the tower and prop. Always carry a knife and goggles/diving mask because it'll happen again, either on your rope or with someone who could not bring a anchor up and cut the rope off at the surface. I even carry a hacksaw blade; I was on a large Searay where a plastic rope got wrapped around the shaft and due to friction the entire wrapped portion melted and fused together along the entire shaft. Took a diver with tanks 20 minutes to cut the rope off with a saw.

tlcrichardson
08-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks. Just new boat to the lake and everyone want to drive it. Plus mastercarft makes them want to even more. Jim hope this means spring trip with some buddies and drag one back north. Need another one on the lake.

scott023
08-11-2010, 10:07 AM
This happened to us last year as well... you should be good to go as long as there isn't any vibration.

munkymush
08-11-2010, 12:33 PM
just make sure its someone elses rope.. too expensive when its ya own. :)

brucemac
08-11-2010, 12:43 PM
i don't see it mentioned, so i'd just add that it's handy to have a pair of swim goggles or a dive mask on board as well.

scharette
08-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Last year i ran over a wakesurf rope. Two months later my friend ran over my wakeboard rope, it was stuck on the shaft also..My friends replaced the rope with a glow in the dark from accurate lines.

Archimedes
08-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Did the same thing about a month ago. First time in 20 years of boating. You're fine, very likely no damage at all. Luckily we had goggles on board, which now I will always have. It was still a bear to get it out, as I had no knife and had to unwrap and work a thick tubing rope out of the shaft.

tlcrichardson
08-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Did the same thing about a month ago. First time in 20 years of boating. You're fine, very likely no damage at all. Luckily we had goggles on board, which now I will always have. It was still a bear to get it out, as I had no knife and had to unwrap and work a thick tubing rope out of the shaft.

DID YOU SAY TUBE ROPE?? MUST NOT BEEN A MASTERCRAFT

shepherd
08-11-2010, 04:20 PM
He or She who drives over the rope gets to unwrap or cut the rope!

Try explaining that to the wife!

Like was said before, I always keep a knife and dive mask on the boat for these occasions.

Bert
08-11-2010, 04:56 PM
That's good:D:D

tlcrichardson
08-11-2010, 05:05 PM

That is where it went wrong. Somebody's rope and a $125.00 one at that. The kids father was ok with it. He said if his kids are smiling then he is not worried about it.

mark g
08-11-2010, 05:09 PM
i don't see it mentioned, so i'd just add that it's handy to have a pair of swim goggles or a dive mask on board as well.

Tell the driver to bring his goggles or mask, when he asks what for, tell him and he'll make sure he doesnt run over the line.