PDA

View Full Version : Broke prop shaft and prop hit my rudder.

Wired_Right
08-11-2010, 02:40 AM
Broke my prop shaft and prop hit rudder this past weekend in Tahoe. Pulled it all apart tonight, much more in depth than I though it was. Large brass nut housing is oblonged, 1 inch of shaft broke inside trans coupler. I sent out the prop to OJ's yesterday.

I think I want to drop my boat off at a shop and just have it done.
Most of the Mastercraft shops closed and/or have no experience with older models.

Can anyone recommend a shop in the San Francisco area they trust?

1985 Stars and Stripes

TLR67
08-11-2010, 10:09 AM
WOW!!! Call skidim and get a new shaft and strut and do it yourself... Not too hard of a Job at all.. You will save over $1000 in Labor and learn more about your boat in the process..,

flipper
08-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Nor Cal is still up there isn't it?

atlfootr
08-11-2010, 10:34 AM
WOW!!!
Call skidim and get a new shaft and strut and do it yourself... Not too hard of a Job at all..
You will save over $1000 in Labor and learn more about your boat in the process..,Better LISTEN to this guy!
He knows WTH he's talking about!
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36836

Wired_Right
08-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Yes Nor Cal is in Dublin. I'm calling Nor Cal today to see what they'll charge.

As far as doing it myself. I just finished working on the boat for a month, complete new wiring harness, stereo, speakers, tune up wires, alternator, carb rebuild, Bimini top install, prepping for a week long camping trip.
The boat did not let me down, till the last day of the trip and about 200 yards from the launch ramp when the prop issue happened.
I tried for 2 hours last night trying to get the shaft out and disassembled the rear of the boat. I had to get my biggest hammer and i decided that is where im stopping.
I work for the next 2 weeks straight and don't have time to mess around with me ordering a wrong part and being pissed off on a Sunday evening stuck with out the correct part.

So with that said. I'm going to pay someone else. So if there is a problem I can blame someone else besides myself.

TLR67
08-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Did you remove the strut?

Wired_Right
08-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Yes I removed all the bolts that thing is stuck on there. I need to remove the goo holding it on. I just checked Elbert's website. They have everything I need. So I may actually do everything myself.

JMann
08-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Were you actually in Tahoe or another lake near Tahoe? What did you hit a shallow rock?

I'm also in the bay area but don't know of a shop for this type of repair. There is a GREAT fiberglass shop in Tracy you could call and ask who they would recommend. They are who NorCal uses for their repairs. If you want the name and number PM me.

TLR67
08-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Yes I removed all the bolts that thing is stuck on there. I need to remove the goo holding it on. I just checked Elbert's website. They have everything I need. So I may actually do everything myself.

A Little heat should loosen up the glue... Also did you remove all of the bolts? When I pushed on mine the strut fell down on its own.. Luckily I had some cardboard boxes underneath and the rudder wrapped in a towel... Good on you for tackling it on your own.. When it comes time to tighten the strut bolts a buddys help is good...:)

Wired_Right
08-11-2010, 12:51 PM
I was at Union Reservoir off of 50. For the first part of the week. And went to North Tahoe for the second half of the week and weekend. Not sure if I hit anything. The water is clear and did not see anything. At Lear I got to wakeboard on lake tahoe before it broke.

JMann
08-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Years ago when I was a kid we used to go to waterski camp on Tahoe. I know not the best lake, it can be an ocean out there, but it was fun. A couple years boats hit shallow rocks tearing off the running gear I think it's pretty common for that to happen around the shore. There are some HUGE rocks under the water and even thou the water is so clear it can be hard to tell how deep they are.
Good luck with the repair I think you can do it yourself. Replace the packind while you are in there.

Wired_Right
08-11-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm at 492.00 in parts - ARE Shaft, strut bearings, and stuffing box. Not sure what OJ's is charging me for prop repair yet. Parts will be here Friday - I took Friday off so we will see if I can make this happen.

Thanks for all the advice and parts places to check.

TLR67
08-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Make sure when you remove your strut that its straight.. Also when you put the new shaft ect in alighn it from the strut up to the coupler... When I re did mine my new strut was a little off than the stock one.. I actually redrilled the holes in the boat to off set it a bit.. As long as you can turn your prop with 2 fingers your good... If you still have a vibration after that you still have a bent part somewhere... I actually was lucky and got my shaft bent back to 0002 spec... However my Strut and Prop were toast... OJ will probally charge you around $80-100 by the looks of it... Eric there is good.... really good...

Wired_Right
08-11-2010, 03:59 PM
OJ's just called - Can Not be fixed. another 360. - for a prop

B. bring
O. out
A. another
T. thousand

east tx skier
08-11-2010, 05:43 PM
OJ's just called - Can Not be fixed. another 360. - for a prop

B. bring
O. out
A. another
T. thousand

Those torn blades are pretty tough. I've seen smaller rips that that that couldn't be rewelded.

TLR67
08-12-2010, 08:52 AM
I have 2 3 Blade 13-13 LH 1 inch damaged props that can definietly be fixed... If you want one let me know... Just pay shipping...

MC4SNETS
08-24-2010, 12:50 AM
I was at Union Reservoir off of 50. For the first part of the week. And went to North Tahoe for the second half of the week and weekend. Not sure if I hit anything. The water is clear and did not see anything. At Lear I got to wakeboard on lake tahoe before it broke.

Pretty certain you hit something by that damage....damn, sucks.....at least no hull damage though, lucky there. Hope you can get 'er fixed up right and get back on the water soon, good luck!

Willski
08-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Too bad you don't have the powerslot. I have a brand new prop for a powerslot, that I no longer need because I sold the boat. Good luck on the repairs.

JimN
08-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Broke my prop shaft and prop hit rudder this past weekend in Tahoe. Pulled it all apart tonight, much more in depth than I though it was. Large brass nut housing is oblonged, 1 inch of shaft broke inside trans coupler. I sent out the prop to OJ's yesterday.

I think I want to drop my boat off at a shop and just have it done.
Most of the Mastercraft shops closed and/or have no experience with older models.

Can anyone recommend a shop in the San Francisco area they trust?

1985 Stars and Stripes

The coupler has lines on the face- are they just rust or are they cracks?

You need to align the motor. The only way I could see a shaft breaking that way is if it wasn't tightened fully (maybe the key was bent and didn't allow it to go on all the way) when it was installed or re-installed and the motor was cocked. It would stress the shaft at the contact point with the coupler. I would definitely use the coupler that comes with the new shaft. I have seen people use the old one with a new shaft and it doesn't fit well. If you aren't the original owner, this may be why it broke.

TX.X-30 fan
08-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Metal fatigue and he said the prop hit the rudder and that's why only the one tear.