PDA

View Full Version : Jetblue FA cusses out passenger then exits via inflatable slide

jdl xstar
08-10-2010, 08:55 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/steven-slater-jetblue-flight-attendant-bail-emergency-slide/story?id=11367793

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100810/bs_yblog_upshot/rogue-jetblue-flight-attendant-being-hailed-as-a-modern-american-working-class-hero

If you cant see the link, here is a synopsis:

Passenger on Jetblue flight decides to get up and get her bag out of the overhead bin before the plane is stopped at the gate. The flight attendant walks to her to tell her stop what she's doing and sit down. She proceeds to pull the bag out of the bin and the bag smacks the FA in the head causing a visible bruise. Lady then verbally assaults the FA with lots of explitives. The FA was fed up and gets on the PA and tells the lady to F off then he opens the exit door, grabs two beers and slides down the evacuation slide. Walks to his car and drives home. Police arrest him at his house.

This story has been gaining momentum as I think this guy just lived out many of our daydreams about situations where we've had it with a job/boss/customer and quit in grand fashion.

What he did was unprofessional to say the least but I am tired of passengers who don't feel like rules apply to them while on an airplane. So if I'm able to get annoyed during a quick flight here and there, I can see how frustrated an FA could get having to deal with them all day, every day.

So... Whose side are you on? Flight attendant who cussed out passenger on the PA and bolted out the exit door OR the passenger who had blatant disregard for the rules, calls the FA an M F'er and hits the FA in the head with her bag???

Jim@BAWS
08-10-2010, 09:11 PM
I can see the flight attendants side, but that is overboard. I fly JETBLUE a few times a year from Tampa to JFK them JFK to Syracuse. It is a cattle car. The OLD terminal in JFK was the pits. I can tolerate the flight for an hour and 45 flight. I bring my BOSE headphones and they are on the entire flight.

JETBLUE is a discount airline. They make airtravel avail to basically anyone. If I have to fly a longer distance DELTA SKY MILES all the way. Jetblue has a GREAT system. But ya get what ya pay for that is for sure!!!

Jim@BAWS

jbfootin
08-11-2010, 10:03 AM
That is awsome. Tell the guy off, activate the evacuation slide, grab a couple of beers, slide down the inflatable slide and go home...That is quiting a job with some flair!

scott023
08-11-2010, 10:11 AM
That is awsome. Tell the guy off, activate the evacuation slide, grab a couple of beers, slide down the inflatable slide and go home...That is quiting a job with some flair!

No doubt. :D

I really can't understand why the dude was arrested? For taking the beers? :confused:

flipper
08-11-2010, 10:20 AM
I like his style. He should not have been arrested though. Maybe sat on the curb next to Cam, but not arrested.

flipper
08-11-2010, 10:20 AM
They should give FA's tazers, that would have made the story just that much better :D

thatsmrmastercraft
08-11-2010, 10:24 AM

The only way to make his exit more sensational would have been to have music coordinated with a hat with fireworks attached to it.

I can understand the frustration of working with the public on a daily basis. I always fall back on the average person is a complete idiot rule. Still, way too excessive............but it does make a guy smile to think about going out in style.

jdl xstar
08-11-2010, 11:05 AM
No doubt. :D

I really can't understand why the dude was arrested? For taking the beers? :confused:

They are saying that he endangered the public by activating the slide... :rolleyes: I guess if some ground crew was beneath the slide they could've been hurt. He claims to have looked below to make sure no one was around. And he is charged with trespassing for walking on airport tarmac.

scott023
08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
They are saying that he endangered the public by activating the slide... :rolleyes: I guess if some ground crew was beneath the slide they could've been hurt. He claims to have looked below to make sure no one was around. And he is charged with trespassing for walking on airport tarmac.

The authorities are doing this in an attempt to save face... not working IMO.

flipper
08-11-2010, 11:20 AM
The authorities are doing this in an attempt to save face... not working IMO.
X2...........

dog paw
08-11-2010, 11:37 AM
They said this am that they are going to charge him for the evac slide. $25,000 bucks.... Thats a expensive slide :D

east tx skier
08-11-2010, 11:40 AM
He did go out with a Costanza (a/k/a "Bodysuit Man") style, i.e., dragging the World Series trophy around behind the car.

rjracin240
08-11-2010, 12:09 PM

Think they are grasping at straws on this one!
Think the passenger however should be charged for assault with the bag, as well as interfering with the flight crew!
You hear of passengers getting arrested for lesser offences than this.
Hope the FA is able to come out of this ok and also his mother recovers from her cancer treatment.
Just my .02 on this thread.

shepherd
08-11-2010, 04:38 PM
The guy over-reacted. Releasing the slides is an expensive proposition - and I read that the plane would be out of service for several days until they could put everything back together. There's a reason those things are only used for emergencies. I remember reading a few years ago that if a flight attendant even accidentally deployed an emergency slide, he would be automatically fired. They take it that seriously.

The dude was an idiot IMO. Even if people weren't endangered, he caused a lot of aggravation for a lot of people because he couldn't do his job, control his temper, and deal with the situation. Makes me wonder how he would act if there was a real emergency on the plane. Hero my ***...

:twocents:

Skipper
08-12-2010, 08:27 PM
At least nobody got shot in the face.

hbomb
08-12-2010, 09:02 PM
very simply, an FA's job is totoally overrated with the "glamour" tag but they are charged with a very important task....... the safety of you and me when we fly.......
you have some funny laws in the US, quite different to the laws in Australia and to be frank, wish we had yours......... anyway......
was on a flight a while ago (across Australia - 4+ hours) and the guy sitting across the aisle from me was perhaps a little over refreshed and to be quite frank, making a total pig of himself....... started with the safety demo and continued whilst the dinner service was done up to and including the drink service...... his target...... quite obvious a newbie to the aviation industry, a young FA who was really trying to do her job well......
anyway..it continued..... what this prat did not factor into his show was the flight was full of miners heading home for the weekend and after a mongrel of a week working, they simply wnated a quiet flight home.........
the prat kept clicking his fingers for a drink and treated all the FA's with utter contempt...... called one a dumb blond waitress...........
mmmmmmmmm
wanted a drink.........
well...enter the quiet miner sitting in front of him...... as quick as superman changing in the phone box.he pounced up, swung around and fair square landed his fist into this guys face - spread his nose like a chooks foot.......
the prat did need the dumb blond waitress for then....... to bring him a can of cold coke to nurse his split nose and lip......
justly deserved........ yes.....
now the US FA......... perhaps a little overboard but good on him.......
the only thing he really did wrong was use the slide himself as I would have smakked this deadbeat in the mouth and threw it down the slide.......
we all have varying jobs to do and their job is to look after the passenger......and it is a hard thankless job.........
lets hope the FA gets of lightly but I do not think so...
so next time you fly - 3 cheers for the FA's and when the prat next to you is obnoxious, maybe when getting your bag out of the overhead you accidently drop it on their head!

jdl xstar
08-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Nice story hbomb. I wonder if the guy was let go after you landed and just went home. If that happenned in the US, the plane would be diverted and there would be 20 cops waiting at the gate for you.

Sounds like that guy needed a good a** kicking and glad that miner delivered it.

DooSPX
08-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I agree that it was completely wrong of the FA to use the slide, but I might have too dealing with a moron w/ no respect. The passenger should have been charged with assault.

TX.X-30 fan
08-13-2010, 01:01 PM
They said this am that they are going to charge him for the evac slide. $25,000 bucks.... Thats a expensive slide :D

Make a great tube

TX.X-30 fan
08-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Prambold said he has a cute boyfriend................ :idunno: