PDA

View Full Version : Just moved to Northern Virginia

boiseX-starboarder
07-06-2005, 01:54 AM
So, the company just moved me all the way across the country to Manasass VA. My boat should get shipped here by the end on the month but I don't even know where to go!? Anybody have any ideas? I heard the Patomic River around Wash. DC is ok but I'm told the water is gross. any input would help. :confused:

Reece _O_Matic
07-06-2005, 03:19 AM
Sorry buddy, wish I could help you. I'm used to the cleanest, finest TN water. Best of luck on finding some clean glass. Best wishes. RC

jimmer2880
07-06-2005, 08:19 AM
I'm about 1.5 hours NW of you - but work in Gaithersburg, MD (only about 45 min from you). Many folks where you live boat on Lake Anna in VA. Others on the Severn River area (we have a regular on this board that does that) over by Annapolis. I boat on the Potomac, but above Dam 4 (look on the map where interstates 81 & 70 meet). I'm probably about just as far from you as Lake Anna is. I've heard some boat on the James outside of Richmond also, but not real sure where.

Drop me a PM if you want to come look at my "home waters" sometime. I can give you a pull behind my PS.

BriEOD
07-06-2005, 08:59 AM
The James to the west of Richmond in the Midlothian area is great. But, that is probably to far.

The Potomac is getting a lot cleaner. In the mid 90's during my EOD school days I lived in a Navy Dorm right on the Potomac in Indian Head, MC (the end of Hwy 210). You could throw a football out our window into the river. We used to swim in it, etc. It's not bad at all.

Leroy
07-06-2005, 09:06 AM
I have a friend in Alexandria that goes out in the Potomac and he only says it can be very rough. Otherwise he goes to Lake Anna.

shepherd
07-08-2005, 05:26 PM
I lived in DC/Maryland up until 1999. I skiied in the upper reaches of the Patuxent in Maryland with a great group of folks we met on the river and we usually had smooth water (look for Patuxent River Park and Jug Bay on the map, near Croom, MD). Maybe too far from Manassas though. You'll also need a ramp permit to launch/park your boat.

The Potomac in D.C. isn't very skiier friendly. It get's VERY sloppy from the wakes (even on weekdays) and there is also a lot of floating debris, especially after a heavy rain. It doesn't get much better downriver. The only places you'll find glass are in the no wake zones :mad:

Lake Anna is pretty close to you, but I hear it can be a real zoo, especially on weekends. I avoided going there when I lived up there.

The Severn River in Annapolis is nice, but in summer you probably won't be able to avoid getting stung by the sea nettles/jellyfish. They can really ruin the skiing experience, especially if you're wakeboarding and like to take face plants.

So... encouraging huh? Best bet would probably be the upper Potomac where jimmer is. I've never boated there, but it looks nice from the shore.

shepherd
07-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Oh yeah, I just remembered...
Try Pohick Bay south of Alexandria, on the Potomac (Pohick Regional Park). They have a real nice ramp there and the bay is probably pretty good for wakeboarding (I assume that's what you do) except when heavy with other boat traffic. I met some guys years ago who used to slalom there in the early mornings before work.

It's pretty close to Manassas. But be very careful where you go in the bay so you don't run aground.

This is probably the best spot you can go for before- or after-work sessions if you live around Manassas. The northern Potomac, Patuxent, Severn would be too far from you except for a full-day weekend trip.

Good luck!

I hope they're paying you well. You are truly in the rat race now!

Bongo
07-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Lake Anna. Purchase a parcel of land in one of the associations on the "warm" side of the lake. There are no public launches on the warm side, therefore a lot less traffic and congestion. Also, you turn bright green at night from the water, so can ski later into the evening! :-)

(Lake Anna is a man-made lake that was created to cool a nuclear power plant.)

Bongo

shepherd
07-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Lake Anna. Purchase a parcel of land in one of the associations on the "warm" side of the lake. There are no public launches on the warm side, therefore a lot less traffic and congestion. Also, you turn bright green at night from the water, so can ski later into the evening! :-)

(Lake Anna is a man-made lake that was created to cool a nuclear power plant.)

Bongo

I think that would be your best option, if you can afford it. If you work in Manassas, you may be able to commute from Lake Anna. I worked with a woman in downtown D.C. who lived at Lake Anna, but she was selling her house because the commute was too long... But, Manassas is half the distance I think, at least commute-time wise anyways.

AirJunky
07-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Sorry buddy, wish I could help you. I'm used to the cleanest, finest TN water. Best of luck on finding some clean glass. Best wishes. RC
TN water is clean?! Man, that Dale Hollow & Center Hill water will tarnish a foil in about 10 minutes....... it takes months for that to happen here in the NW!
And the bottom of the boats just about have a life of their own with all the scum that grows on it.
Sorry, end threadjack.

Cary K.
07-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Also check us out at www.endofropegang.com It is the source for NC/SC/VA watersports. Fair amount of VA riders, and have a cumulative list of events for the area.

Cary K.
07-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Matter of fact there is a tournament at Lake Anna today.

Lance
07-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Lake Anna.

I did as was suggested on this thread and bought land on the private (warm) side of the lake where there is much less traffic. Back in 1989 when I first started going there you could get good slalom skiing on almost any weekend at any time of day. Of course that has changed as more homes are being build and now especially with the introduction of PWCs but it is still very good skiing in the morning and evenings on weekends and during the week.

The public (or cold side) is pretty crowded with lots of inexperienced boaters and PWCers. Obviously a lot of people enjoy it but I have found that it is a little crowded for my tastes.

Back on the warm side... the big down side is that the water will get into the mid-90s in August. At that point it isn't too much fun to go to the lake when you have triple 90s... 95 degree air temp, 90% humidity, and 95 degree water temp... not refreshing.

The up side is that by early to mid-April you can ski without wetsuit (although it is a little cool) and then your ski season goes into November without wetsuit. In fact my favorite time is September & October when everyone has put their boat in storage, the humidity has gone away, the air temperatures are down but the water temperatures are still in the 80s... boy that is nice.

The down side of all this is that the way the market has gone lately you can't get an 'access' lot (i.e. non-waterfront) for less than about $80k and waterfronts start at about $300-350K and go up from there.

I can give you a lot more information about the private side of Lake Anna if you think you might be leaning that way.

Lance

dog paw
07-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Gotta agree with Lance, Anna has gotten to be a zoo on the weekends. Weekdays are still sweet though. We have a place on the main lake , also have a place a stones throw from dam 4 in Hagerstown Md. Dam 4 on the Potomac has gotten way to crowded also, worse than Anna IMO. I was at the tournament @ the state park Saturday (on my PWC) Dang wakeboard punks :headbang: LOL! bet half of them have never seen a slalom course! What happened to all the old timers from the 80's My boat has been in the water one weekend this summer! No way I'm going to fight the fools pulling tubes with 35ft cabin cruisers in 6ft of water.

jimmer2880
07-13-2005, 03:11 PM
.... We have a place on the main lake , also have a place a stones throw from dam 4 in Hagerstown Md. Dam 4 on the Potomac has gotten way to crowded also, worse than Anna IMO. ....

Where's your place? I'm there just about every weekend. We should meet up sometime.

I have a lift Dock (as seen in my profile) at the Potomac Fish & Game Club.

Tom023
07-13-2005, 03:58 PM
I grew up skiing on the Potomac south of DC. The water is very clean, but does have quite a bit of alge later in the summer and you must keep alert for an occasional log or tree that is washing down river. What I liked was the lack of boat traffic, which gave us good conditions if the wind wasn't blowing, but we could always find good areas. I would avoid Pohick Bay due to congestion, but unfortunately there are very few ramps on the Virginia side between Alexandria and Pohick. If you can snag a military pass, there are two ramps at Ft. Belvoir. Looking at the map again, your best bet might be to put in at Woodbridge and use the lower Potomac.

dog paw
07-13-2005, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=jimmer2880]Where's your place? I'm there just about every weekend. We should meet up sometime.

Jim we are in Cats Paw cove on Lake Anna. Our place in Hagerstown is in Cross Creek. Its been years since I have been at Dam 4. Lake Anna is so bad on the weekends now I mostly ride my Sea Doo. I feel like its breaking my MC apart pounding that rough water. We are always @ Anna during the summer. Spend a lot of time at a friends place at Southwind shores. He has the Air Chairs and all the cool toys :D I'll have to blow the dust off the boat and post some pics

jimmer2880
07-14-2005, 07:20 AM
[QUOTE=jimmer2880]Where's your place? I'm there just about every weekend. We should meet up sometime.

Jim we are in Cats Paw cove on Lake Anna. Our place in Hagerstown is in Cross Creek. Its been years since I have been at Dam 4. Lake Anna is so bad on the weekends now I mostly ride my Sea Doo. I feel like its breaking my MC apart pounding that rough water. We are always @ Anna during the summer. Spend a lot of time at a friends place at Southwind shores. He has the Air Chairs and all the cool toys :D I'll have to blow the dust off the boat and post some pics

I'm not sure where Cross Creek is (assuming it's a community since the only creek that enters above Dam4 is the Opequon). I grew up on that river & know it rather well.

If you ever make it up this way look me up.

We MAY make it to Anna in a couple years. Once the expected little one gets out of diapers. A friend of ours has land and a camper down there.

shepherd
07-14-2005, 09:58 AM
I grew up skiing on the Potomac south of DC. The water is very clean, but does have quite a bit of alge later in the summer and you must keep alert for an occasional log or tree that is washing down river. What I liked was the lack of boat traffic, which gave us good conditions if the wind wasn't blowing, but we could always find good areas. I would avoid Pohick Bay due to congestion, but unfortunately there are very few ramps on the Virginia side between Alexandria and Pohick. If you can snag a military pass, there are two ramps at Ft. Belvoir. Looking at the map again, your best bet might be to put in at Woodbridge and use the lower Potomac.

I kept a cruiser at a marina in downtown D.C. in 2002-03. My friends are at Fort Washington Marina and I still go out with them occasionally when I visit. From my experience, you would be hard pressed to find calm water on a summer weekend between D.C and the Rte. 301 bridge (about 50 miles downstream). Unless you know of any secret coves... ;) I think it does thin out once you get past Woodbridge and Mattawoman Creek (on the MD side). Probably good enough for wakeboarding. Now on a weekday, you may have better luck.

I agree Pohick is too congested, but that's because it is the only decent boat ramp on the Virginia side between D.C. and Woodbridge.
What about Aquia Creek down in Stafford County? I've never been there but I heard a rumor that there was a ski course or ski jump down there.(?) I don't think it's too far from Manassas either.

jimmer2880
07-14-2005, 12:27 PM
.... My friends are at Fort Washington Marina and I still go out with them occasionally when I visit. ....

Small world. I just had my boat fixed at the guy next to the Ft Washington Marina. Fiberglass Fabricators. AWSOME job. and AWSOME service. Can't say enough about his work.