PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Hot Starting

NSXBill
08-09-2010, 08:27 AM
2001 ProStar 209, 210 hrs, 5.7 Vortec TBI 310 hp engine. Starts great cold, runs great. Sometimes (more and more lately) after running the boat for awhile, it won't start right away. For example, if I run down the lake for 10 min and then throw a skier in, and go to crank it = no start. The boat cranks fine, and I can see the two injectors spraying (with flame arrestor removed). So far, it has eventually started...but after some time (I guess cooling off??)

Thinking maybe a coil? No MC dealer close by, so looking for some help for this do-it-yourselfer. How would I check the coil? Measure resistance? Any simple things to change? Can I read codes?

Thanks,

Bill

NSXBill
08-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Vapor Lock?

gr82bgreen
08-21-2010, 07:16 PM
2001 ProStar 209, 210 hrs, 5.7 Vortec TBI 310 hp engine. Starts great cold, runs great. Sometimes (more and more lately) after running the boat for awhile, it won't start right away. For example, if I run down the lake for 10 min and then throw a skier in, and go to crank it = no start. The boat cranks fine, and I can see the two injectors spraying (with flame arrestor removed). So far, it has eventually started...but after some time (I guess cooling off??)

Thinking maybe a coil? No MC dealer close by, so looking for some help for this do-it-yourselfer. How would I check the coil? Measure resistance? Any simple things to change? Can I read codes?

Thanks,

Bill

I pm'd you

JDK
08-23-2010, 03:54 AM
I pm'd you

I've got similar hot start issue as NSXBILL 1995 / 5.7 / tbi (no codes, temp sensor replaced, iac cleaned)
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.

gr82bgreen
08-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I've got similar hot start issue as NSXBILL 1995 / 5.7 / tbi (no codes, temp sensor replaced, iac cleaned)
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi, I had the same when I bought my 95 maristar, 350 TBI, It would run perfect on cold start. I would shut it off. It would crank great, but not fire. Would restart after cooling down 10 minutes or so. I checked coil when hot and found spark very weak. I replace the coil, use 1 for a 95 truck from napa ($40). Has run great since. Nice to see another Western Canada member on this site. Good luck.

JDK
08-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Hi, I had the same when I bought my 95 maristar, 350 TBI, It would run perfect on cold start. I would shut it off. It would crank great, but not fire. Would restart after cooling down 10 minutes or so. I checked coil when hot and found spark very weak. I replace the coil, use 1 for a 95 truck from napa ($40). Has run great since. Nice to see another Western Canada member on this site. Good luck.

Thanks gr8.
I was going to start into the ignition next.... I'll try a coil and probably wires too (hopefully this week).
My problem is just enough to piss a guy off.

With a username like yours, you must be a Rider Fan.:D

gr82bgreen
08-24-2010, 01:10 AM
[QUOTE=JDK;704656]Thanks gr8.
I was going to start into the ignition next.... I'll try a coil and probably wires too (hopefully this week).
My problem is just enough to piss a guy off.

With a username like yours, you must be a Rider Fan.:D[

Once a Rider fan, always a Rider fan. Live in Calgary for 20 yrs but still bleed green. Ya when mine was acting up I was afraid to shut it off. Our summers are short enough. don't want to waste good skiing time waiting for it to restart.

NSXBill
08-25-2010, 10:15 AM

Thanks! I pm'd you back. I will try a coil. Anyone have an idea of which vehicle to tell AutoZone to punch into their computer to get me a coil? Same as gr82bgreen did (95 truck)? My boat is 2001 PS209.

JDK
08-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Replaced my coil - starts way way better.
$46 @ NAPA
Also cap and rotor, which both looked like crap..... but the coil made the difference.
Thanks GR8

gr82bgreen
08-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Replaced my coil - starts way way better.
$46 @ NAPA
Also cap and rotor, which both looked like crap..... but the coil made the difference.
Thanks GR8

Glad to help out a fellow MC owner and Riderfan. Summer seems to be over here. Been darn cold. Going to Montana for Labour day weekend. Hope its warmer there.