PDA

View Full Version : Tinted windows???

samgreazy
08-07-2010, 10:47 AM
What do you all think about tinted windows and does anyone have any pics......good or bad???

MariStar-Man
08-07-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm Not too fond of "The Look" of Boat windows, even though I use to Own TinteX, a mobile window Tinting Business. I just feel that there isn't enough Glass to make an impact aestetically or functionally unless your doing an enclosed cabin, where privacy is important.

however, if the boat has has Black color on it, then the tint might flow...

Here are some pix from Google:

http://www.frankswindowtinting.com/images/thors_boat_smll.jpg

http://letstalktints.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/DSC00526-500x375.jpg

http://www.hotspottinting.com/images/hyperlite-boat.jpg

http://www.shades-windowtint.com/html/images/marine.jpg

Yellow X9
08-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Have tinted every boat I have owned, enjoy the look, and helps protect the dash to some degree-UV, knocks some of the glare down aswell

scott023
08-07-2010, 11:48 AM
I am getting mine done this winter... IMO, on the boats I've seen it done one it's functional and aesthetically pleasing.

03 35th Anniversary
08-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Looks Great... But I had to have mine peeled! I got tired of having to look over the windshield all of the time.

kevkan
08-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I've never liked tinted windows, even in cars. With that said, when I was in the market for a used boat, I ruled out any boat with tinted windows or stupid (my opinion) stickers. Now some folks may desire a boat with tinted windows, I don't know. But resale is something to keep in mind.

Kyle
08-07-2010, 02:18 PM
My buddy has let me use his 03 209 with tinted windows since my MC is sick at the moment. I thought I wanted to tint my windows because it looks so cool until I drove his boat. After 2 days the cool factor is gone. It is very hard to see out at times. If you have an open bow and the walk through window is open then you practly have glare on limo tint on half of the front windshield.

The coolness is there but its not for me...And no, I am not OLD. I am still in my 20's

ahhudgins
08-07-2010, 03:53 PM
The tint was already added to the 87 that I used to own, and it was only on the sides. It looked cool, but to me it really served no function unless you didn't want people to see inside the boat from the side. It was a really dark tint so it did blend in with the black trim IMO. I added the tower so you can bash me for that (but I loved it.)

I often thought about adding a slight tint to the windsheild because I had a lot glare from the white fiberglass that reflected up into the windsheild. I just layed a black towel behind the dash and took care of that problem. Traded the boat for a Maristar 200 and have never thought about tinting the windows, didn't seem like it would make any difference since the sun is over head all day long.

MakeMineaS&S
08-07-2010, 03:59 PM
My '85 came with tint, and I kinda like the look, but the sides were peeling/lifting in places, (the side windows are Plexiglas and the windscreen is actual safety glass).

I removed the tint from the side, but left the windshield tinted. I don't mind it, but when wearing sunglasses, I tend to look over the windshield, since the combo of tinted glass and sunglasses is kinda dark. Might pull it this winter, but right now it's no big deal.

boyd
08-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Tinted windows at dusk makes it difficult to see debris in the water.
I have a hard enough time seeing stuff in the water. Besides the look, what purpose does it serve? It doesn't keep the heat out or sun off of you. It does look pretty good, but again, makes it difficult to see.
FYI. My son just turned 16 and he wanted to tint the windows on his 94 honda civic. I said no because the visibility at night.

Boyd

scott023
08-07-2010, 10:00 PM
I've never liked tinted windows, even in cars. With that said, when I was in the market for a used boat, I ruled out any boat with tinted windows or stupid (my opinion) stickers. Now some folks may desire a boat with tinted windows, I don't know. But resale is something to keep in mind.

WHAT??? You can't possibly think tint has anything to do we resale, do you? You know it peels off, right? :confused:How can anything that's removable be a factor in resale? If you did in fact rule out any boats with tint when buying, it's quite possible that you missed out on some great boats because of that... seems weird.

Mr02X5
08-07-2010, 10:33 PM
I think tint is somewhat tacky b/c it serves no purpose besides looks (and half the time they arent even good looks). I would compare it to putting a huge muffler on a stock 1992 civic.

kevkan
08-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Must admit that I am surprised to be called out for not wanting to buy a boat with tinted windows. I was looking for "the boat I want", not one I could fix up to be the one I want. Guess I have two questions:

Does tint come off easier than it goes on? How about if the window might be plexiglass, or at a really shallow angle, or curved?

If tint helps to sell a boat, why doesn't MC just do it at the factory?

I may be weird, no argument from me, but I like my cars and boats stock.

scott023
08-08-2010, 01:18 AM
No big deal, I was just surprised that one would think tint would affect resale...Also, I didn't say it would help with resale, I just can't believe it would lessen ones resale. :D

The windows on MC's are glass, so there would be no issue taking it off.

dummy
08-08-2010, 01:32 AM
I think tint is somewhat tacky b/c it serves no purpose besides looks (and half the time they arent even good looks). I would compare it to putting a huge muffler on a stock 1992 civic.

Can't say I exactly agree about it being not functional. It's frequently 100-120 degrees with a 10+ uv index where I use my boat here in the southwest. A tinted windshield would go a long way in comfort when the sun starts getting lower. Not to mention if you have a baby that frequently naps under the driver's console. Keeps the sun off their little legs when you're under way and can't use towels to create shade.

scott023
08-08-2010, 02:00 AM
Can't say I exactly agree about it being not functional. It's frequently 100-120 degrees with a 10+ uv index where I use my boat here in the southwest. A tinted windshield would go a long way in comfort when the sun starts getting lower. Not to mention if you have a baby that frequently naps under the driver's console. Keeps the sun off their little legs when you're under way and can't use towels to create shade.

Good points Dummy.

Mr02X5
08-08-2010, 10:54 AM
I stand corrected. :)

RipItUp
08-10-2010, 11:13 PM
The tint works wonders cutting the glare, but don't go too dark or you have to look over the windshield all of the time...

makaveli2308
08-10-2010, 11:16 PM
nice ride mate...what year is it ?

RipItUp
08-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks man... its a 2010.

makaveli2308
08-10-2010, 11:31 PM
sent you a pm mate...

jdl xstar
08-02-2011, 11:09 AM
The tint works wonders cutting the glare, but don't go too dark or you have to look over the windshield all of the time...

Anyone care to guess what tint grade this guy has on his X2? I want to get tint done and this shade looks about right. Not too dark, not too light...

MariStar-Man
08-02-2011, 12:04 PM
The Ceramic tints available these days are nice in that they do a number of things better than the older metallic style and dyed tint products that are available.

The Ceramic tint doesn't interfere with am radio waves, like the metallic tints used to.

The Ceramic tint offers glare reduction and blocks visible light while appearing to be either clear or a dramaticly lighter shade than the older style tints. this makes it more acceptable to the more professional crowd...

Lastly, although some here have said it's simple to remove, others have resorted to using what they thought was a new sigle edge'd razor only to find that it left unremoveable scratches in what would oterwise be perfect glass. Or even an abrasive pad which would inevitably leave a haze or fine scrathes all over the glass...

Sometimes it's just better to find a boat that is just completely stock. Ya know. 8p

jdl xstar
08-02-2011, 12:23 PM
The Ceramic tints available these days are nice in that they do a number of things better than the older metallic style and dyed tint products that are available.

The Ceramic tint doesn't interfere with am radio waves, like the metallic tints used to.

The Ceramic tint offers glare reduction and blocks visible light while appearing to be either clear or a dramaticly lighter shade than the older style tints. this makes it more acceptable to the more professional crowd...

Lastly, although some here have said it's simple to remove, others have resorted to using what they thought was a new sigle edge'd razor only to find that it left unremoveable scratches in what would oterwise be perfect glass. Or even an abrasive pad which would inevitably leave a haze or fine scrathes all over the glass...

Sometimes it's just better to find a boat that is just completely stock. Ya know. 8p

There is a Llumar shop near my house so i was thinking they could do it and after looking at their website, they have some tints that don't interfere with signals, etc. Got to get my car done too, so hoping to get a "bulk" discount!

I truly think a light tint will dramatically improve the look of my boat since its 80% black. If i sell and someone doesn't like it, then too bad. 8p

TxsRiverRat
08-02-2011, 12:31 PM
http://www.rooney.org/tlc/silly/holy%20thread%20resurrection.jpg

DemolitionMan
08-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Anyone care to guess what tint grade this guy has on his X2? I want to get tint done and this shade looks about right. Not too dark, not too light...

I would say 20.

Barefooter92
09-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Just picked up a sample of 50% from the local shop and the X2 looks to be the same. 20 is what you have in the back of a factory GM truck window. May be too dark for some.

jdeml
09-15-2011, 03:33 PM
I tinted my old boat and went way too dark, couldnt see anything at night or after some scud started building up. If you do go that route 50 seems good. my .02