PDA

View Full Version : sold our boat!

Kevin&Annie
08-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Bad news is that we sold our prostar 190..Good news is we are looking for a 205..Here is my question: There is no wood in the super structure of an '88 190 is there? When I sold it, I told the guy that he would need to reglass the area behind the bow ring as it was starting to pull through.The ring is pretty loose and I wouldn't trust it for very long.After a few days of ownership, he says that the reason it was loose is the fact that the wood is rotting..WTH! The only wood in that boat is in the seat bases.Right? (that's what I told him anyway..He is not a boat guy). Wasn't trying to get by with anything here..We loved that old boat and know it inside and out.Opinions?

03 35th Anniversary
08-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Bad news is that we sold our prostar 190..Good news is we are looking for a 205..Here is my question: There is no wood in the super structure of an '88 190 is there? When I sold it, I told the guy that he would need to reglass the area behind the bow ring as it was starting to pull through.The ring is pretty loose and I wouldn't trust it for very long.After a few days of ownership, he says that the reason it was loose is the fact that the wood is rotting..WTH! The only wood in that boat is in the seat bases.Right? (that's what I told him anyway..He is not a boat guy). Wasn't trying to get by with anything here..We loved that old boat and know it inside and out.Opinions?

No there is no wood in that area! If the glass the is broken then the eye under the nose of the bow is about to come out as well. The upper and lower eye are thru-bolted together sharing the same hardwear.

Footin
08-06-2010, 09:14 PM
What year 205 are ya lookin for?

TLR67
08-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Not even the seat Bases ... Only the Teak Platform as far as I know... 87-90 are all the same and there is plastic under my seat...

Kevin&Annie
08-07-2010, 08:33 AM
No there is no wood in that area! If the glass the is broken then the eye under the nose of the bow is about to come out as well. The upper and lower eye are thru-bolted together sharing the same hardwear.

That's what I thought..Thanks! Yeah, the lower eye is really loose because the bracket that it bolts through is pulling through the fiberglass. It hasn't pulled all the way through and you can't tell from the outside of the boat but it does need to be reworked. I Just wanted to make sure of what I already knew I guess..Thanks again.

Kevin&Annie
08-07-2010, 08:34 AM
What year 205 are ya lookin for?

Mid '90's most likely.

DooSPX
08-07-2010, 08:40 AM
I agree with 03 35th.
the only wood on my 91 besides the teak is the motor box.

03 35th Anniversary
08-07-2010, 12:07 PM
That's what I thought..Thanks! Yeah, the lower eye is really loose because the bracket that it bolts through is pulling through the fiberglass. It hasn't pulled all the way through and you can't tell from the outside of the boat but it does need to be reworked. I Just wanted to make sure of what I already knew I guess..Thanks again.

The nuts on the backside probably just need to be tightened up. It's probably not that hard of a fix.

wetfoot100
08-07-2010, 05:55 PM
I had a 93 prostar 205 and the combing pads on that boat were wood. I didn't find any other wood on the boat except of course the swim platform.

Bert
08-07-2010, 07:00 PM
I had a 93 prostar 205 and the combing pads on that boat were wood. I didn't find any other wood on the boat except of course the swim platform.
Big selling feature when I bought mine in 91 was "no wood" They really marketed that. I have seen no wood in my boat, well maybe some when Julio floats by with his swim pad full;). See swimsuit thread.
No wood in the seat bases, combing pads or engine cover as some have mentioned, only composite materials in mine.

Fasteddie
08-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Yes, there is wood behind the bow eye on the 1988. The wood is encased in fiberglass inside the bow. The upper bow eye is connected with a threaded rod and mounting plate to the lower bow eye. I has the same problem with my 88 190 and ended up cutting away the raised fiberglass on the inside of the hull only to discover rotted wood. Let me tell you, it was a major pain to make that repair under the closed bow.

jbk197
08-11-2010, 05:55 PM
kevin&annie:

have a 1994 PS205 for sale in the marketplace, asking $13,500, would like to move it as have taken delivery of new PS197 TT. PM me and will be happy to provide details. Listing is at http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=3601&cat=500

dmminfla
08-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Mid '90's most likely.

Mid 90's 205 ? 92-95 or 96-2000 two very different boats.