PDA

View Full Version : How do you prime a fuel injection engine?

wakesurfer
08-06-2010, 07:11 PM
I was having lagging probs out of the hole and on the way to the top end. I was told that it could be debris. I cleaned the screens at the bottom of the gas tank sending unit, and at the bottom of the two stage in line fuel pump, I changed the fuel filter. Now there is no gas in my line. I dont have a shrader valve. I poured gas into the fuel line from the gas tank hook up line and blew it through. Put everything back together and the engine turned over but died a few seconds later, I have a quarter tank of gas. the fuel pump is hot. please help I work like a dog for the week end to take the family out and its comming in some hours. I need to get the boat running. Thanks in advance, 1995 prostar 190 indmar 5.7 chevy:o

flipper
08-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Turn the key on, let the pump cycle, turn it off. Turn it on let the pump cycle.......

JMann
08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
If you don't hear the fuel pump you know what the problem is................

WTRSK1R
08-06-2010, 07:40 PM
I could be wrong, but I do not think a 1995 vintage engine had an electic fuel pump like the current boats. I thought it had the original mechanical pump mounted on the engine. He said he does not have a shrader valve, so I am not sure if he should hear a pump run when he turns the key the same way the current boats do.

I can not answer the original question since I have never seen an instance where the older style pump would not pick up gas if it was in the tank. I would not think priming is needed if it really is the older style pump.

wakesurfer
08-06-2010, 07:54 PM
thanks for the replys, I have an in line two stage fuel pump, it is hot doesnt that mean it is working but there is just no gas getting to it? thanks for your time.... plus i read that :
to get gas to the fuel pump one should kink or restrict the return line? as well I read that there are o rings that go bad and allow for low or now pressure, the o rings are at the throttle body where the gas goes into the injectors? i will post a picture in a few minutes. thanks again.

JMann
08-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I thought a 95 with the Chevy 5.7 engine it would be fuel injected with an electronic fuel pump. I have a 91 with the Ford and it is mechanical. If it is a mechanical fuel pump you are correct you won't hear it when you turn the key.

flipper
08-06-2010, 08:07 PM
My 91 has an electric fuel pump :D

wakesurfer
08-06-2010, 08:50 PM
heres the link; http://www.ebasicpower.com/pc/CARP60962/ALL4C/Fuel%20Pump,%20Electric,%202-Stage,%20GM%20MPI.htmlhttp://http://www.ebasicpower.com/pc/CARP60962/ALL4C/Fuel%20Pump,%20Electric,%202-Stage,%20GM%20MPI.html

JimN
08-06-2010, 09:31 PM
I could be wrong, but I do not think a 1995 vintage engine had an electic fuel pump like the current boats. I thought it had the original mechanical pump mounted on the engine. He said he does not have a shrader valve, so I am not sure if he should hear a pump run when he turns the key the same way the current boats do.

I can not answer the original question since I have never seen an instance where the older style pump would not pick up gas if it was in the tank. I would not think priming is needed if it really is the older style pump.

Anything with a modern fuel injection system will have an electric fuel pump. Mechanical ones on carbs usually put out about 6-10 psi and use the bowl for reserve.

André
08-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Turn the key on, let the pump cycle, turn it off. Turn it on let the pump cycle.......

Just remember that got you have the key in the off position for at least 10 seconds in order for the pump to prime again when you turn the key to on...
Pretty sure he did try that a couples of times while troobleshoothing...or did he?

wakesurfer
08-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks for all your help, I used an automatic air bed inflator, and inverted the hose to suck put it in the gas line and sucked it through the line , that was enough to help the fuel pump to prime itself the rest of the way.

Bert
08-07-2010, 11:57 PM
My 91 has an electric fuel pump :D

That's a first:cool: