PDA

View Full Version : Fire

BriEOD
07-05-2005, 08:57 PM
We had a bad storm here today. I saw and quickly heard some serious lightning. It hit the house 4 doors down from me. After calling 911 my neighbors and I watched the 50 foot flames and the house go up. It's a total loss. Fortunantely no one was home, but the dog did burn up. The heat also melted the siding on both houses adjacent to the house on fire. Very scary and very sad. The guy pulled up and just stood in the driveway across the street with tears rolling down his cheeks. Here are some crude photos.

BriEOD
07-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Another shot....

BriEOD
07-05-2005, 08:58 PM
The back of the house got it the worst.

BriEOD
07-05-2005, 08:58 PM
The neighbors house, who are on vacation.

stevo137
07-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Brian, tough news to deal with. :(
We had a few serious fires in our area this weekend too but not as close to home.
Just be there for them as I know that you will.

Cloaked
07-05-2005, 09:35 PM
I'm sad about the dog.

LakePirate
07-05-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm sad about the dog.

I will Second that

That scares me more than anything else.

MarkP
07-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Man, what can you say??:(

SteveO
07-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Ouch, Makes ya ask the question of what stuff should I buy a fire proof box for?

Crash
07-06-2005, 12:44 AM
Very sad, but reminds you what's important...your loved ones.

Our sympothies for their belongings and their pet.

jimmer2880
07-06-2005, 07:10 AM
I hate to see Pets get caught like that. At least there wasn't any people inside.

captkidd
07-06-2005, 11:44 AM
That really is sad. I hate to think of all the irreplaceable stuff we would lose if our house burned. I don't think I could afford a fireproof box big enough to hold all the home movies, wedding albums, keepsakes that we have.

east tx skier
07-06-2005, 12:19 PM
That's awful. Capt., you hit it right on the head. My sister's house burned to the ground about 11 years ago while some workers were replacing the hardwood floor, but failed to properly ventilate. 100% loss. Pictures, clothes, wedding album, all gone. 3 things survived. An antique milk can. When she had it cleaned, she realized how badly it was tarnished before the fire. Most gorgeous copper shine you've ever seen. My late father's Christening gown from the early 20th century. A child's Easter dress she'd bought while she was in college in case she ever had a daughter. Years after the fire, she had a little girl, who eventually grew into that dress.

BriEOD
07-06-2005, 12:34 PM
I just drove by the house coming back from errands and it is a mess. The guy and his wife are out there. The Fire Inspector and the Public Works are over there trying to make the area safe. I assume they will have to take the house down to the foundation and start over. I just wonder how well the insurance will compensate them. The house is one thing but, to replace everything you own...

dmac
07-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Over the years I have worked hundreds of fire losses for the insurance side of things. It is the most devastating of losses and one I hope to never go through myself.

The mental toll that a fire takes on folks is great. To answer the question of what to put in the fireproof box, my recommendation is photos of your personal property, if you do not have them in a safe deposit box.

Prepare an inventory, take pictures of your stuff. In the long run, if this should ever happen to you, your burden will be lessened.

I too am sad for the dog.

quincyfirefighter
07-09-2005, 03:21 PM
I think the hardest thing for me is to be working a house fire when the owners are there. :noface: We try so hard to save as much personal belonging as we can without indangering our crew but don't always win. :cry: You can always rebuild but cannot replace family or pets. I feel for those people.

milkmania
07-09-2005, 03:41 PM
when my step-dad died in his house fire...
* I saw the oven door glass MELTED out of an oven.
* a chain saw reduced to the bar & chain and a few bolts.
* mason glass jars of fruits and vegtables melted down into blobs.
* the windshield of his truck incredibly blistered between the panes from approx. 35 feet away.
* fireplace insert glass melted out.

and other oddities:(

Ferdinand_DeMarco
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
when my step-dad died in his house fire...
* I saw the oven door glass MELTED out of an oven.
* a chain saw reduced to the bar & chain and a few bolts.
* mason glass jars of fruits and vegtables melted down into blobs.
* the windshield of his truck incredibly blistered between the panes from approx. 35 feet away.
* fireplace insert glass melted out.

and other oddities:(

that's gotta be a hot fire :eek3:

lakes Rick
07-10-2005, 10:44 AM
That really is sad. I hate to think of all the irreplaceable stuff we would lose if our house burned. I don't think I could afford a fireproof box big enough to hold all the home movies, wedding albums, keepsakes that we have.

I have a wedding album you can have if you lose yours..

6ballsisall
07-10-2005, 10:49 AM
I have a wedding album you can have if you lose yours..
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme